Question about nobility

Home Forums Critique Central Sci-Fi/Fantasy Question about nobility

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 months ago.

• Author

ASeDa
    Participant

I am currently re-working an old project that I started many years ago. Now that I have retired, I am refreshing it, looking at it with eyes no longer accustomed to “seeing it as I want to see it.” That way, I’m catching minor typos and a few cases of inconsistency. It’s a sword-and-sorcery project a.k.a. hack-and-zap, and it is set on a fantasy world. I did that to avoid having to deal with Earth’s own mythology. NONE of Earth’s religions will get in the way. But I started to have second thoughts about something and I thought I might ask for advice.

In my world, there are emperors, kings, dukes, and lesser nobility. The emperors and kings like to re-use names of their “revered ancestors” so there will be a Wilkar, a Wilkar II, etc. My question applies to writing their names properly in the story using current “best practice” for, I guess you would call it “numbered nobility.” The one who gives me the second thoughts is the only recurring character, and he is the fifth monarch of the current dynasty to bear the name Wilkar.

When I write scenes where he is either present or named as part of a conversation, do I write this as:

* Wilkar the Fifth
    * Wilkar Vth
    * Wilkar V
    * Something else

Once he’s in the scene and any formal introductions or formal protocols are finished, I see no problem in referring to him as Wilkar for the duration of that scene. But what is the generally accepted way to bring him into the scene?

Second question related to things that Wilkar would say. He uses the “royal We” because he’s an emperor. But when he uses the first-person plural pronoun, is it always capitalized? Such as “You have Our leave to depart.” Or is there another rule that might apply?

I’ve gone online with the great Google brain but I get no answers for those two questions. Does anyone care to offer advice?

Anonymous

Use Roman numerals for kings (https://www.englishgrammar.org/spell-numbers/).

As to the royal “we”, I agree with the second comment here: https://www.reddit.com/r/writing/comments/21km9a/do_you_capitalize_the_royal_we/ where you treat it like you would “I” (making “our” small letter simply because it’s less awkward looking).

ASeDa
    Participant

Thanks, Ostarella.

So… Wilkar V will be his title and his royal ‘We’ but not his royal ‘our’ will be capitalized. Which means that other than weak moments of inconsistency (probably caused by writing in the wee hours of the morning), I mostly had it right originally, and all I was doing was second-guessing myself needlessly. From what I understand, that’s not actually so rare an event.

Anonymous

The_Doc_Man wrote:
    > inconsistency (probably caused by writing in the wee hours of the morning),
    > I mostly had it right originally, and all I was doing was second-guessing
    > myself needlessly. From what I understand, that’s not actually so rare an
    > event.

Nope, not a rare event at all. I have found with my own writing that my first impulse is generally the right one. (Other than when I’m purposefully experimenting, that is 😉 )

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.