Query Letter Question

Home Forums Critique Central Query Letter Clinic Query Letter Question

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  AngelinaK52 11 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hi all,
    I’m working on writing my first query letter. Is it commonplace to reveal big spoilers in your query? I’m assuming it is since you want to give a cohesive summary of your story, but wanted to get some feedback!

Thank you,
    Kelsey

Anonymous

From all I’ve read, spoilers are a necessity. The agent/publisher wants to know if the book is worth looking at from a publishing point of view – if they don’t get a picture of the whole book in your query, they are less likely to “waste time” asking for a closer look. These aren’t the readers of your book – they’re the people spending time and money putting the book in front of the readers.

Anonymous
    KelseyL24 wrote:
    Hi all,
    I’m working on writing my first query letter. Is it commonplace to reveal big spoilers in your query? I’m assuming it is since you want to give a cohesive summary of your story, but wanted to get some feedback!

Thank you,
    Kelsey

A query is a sales document. It needs to be short and to the point while generating interest so the agent asks to see the full mss.

WM has good tips on writing query letters. WD has books that tell how to write query letters.

Check the agents website, and what WM says about them, to guide your tailoring your query to them and their preferences.

jIPPity
    Participant
    KelseyL24 wrote:
    Hi all,

Thank you,
    Kelsey

Not quite sure what you mean by spoilers, but if you’re asking whether to reveal the ending, the answer is no. However, you must reveal the ending in a synopsis, but that’s different from a query letter.

The part of your query letter that summarizes your story should be short and to the point. It should reveal just enough to make the agent hungry to read your manuscript.

Also, avoid rhetorical questions. Most agents hate them.

–Warren

Anonymous
    wdarcy wrote:
    KelseyL24 wrote:
    Hi all,

Thank you,
    Kelsey

Not quite sure what you mean by spoilers, but if you’re asking whether to reveal the ending, the answer is no. However, you must reveal the ending in a synopsis, but that’s different from a query letter.

The part of your query letter that summarizes your story should be short and to the point. It should reveal just enough to make the agent hungry to read your manuscript.

Also, avoid rhetorical questions. Most agents hate them.

–Warren

That is the advice I have read several places. Agree on rhetorical questions or lady and tigre type teasers.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

Janet Reid has great advice for writers and samples on her blog.

http://jetreidliterary.blogspot.com/
    http://queryshark.blogspot.com/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.