Possible to make a career in writing with no professional expe

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum FAQs Possible to make a career in writing with no professional expe

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Shaggy07 1 month ago.

• Author

Shaggy07
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m new to this site and writing in general, well, creative writing at least.
    I’m 65k words into my first book (fantasy) and really proud of the story I have so far. However, I know there’s still lots to learn so don’t want to finish it and publish (after rounds of editing) without testing my writing style. Would hate for my good story to be ruined by inexperienced mistakes.

Now, as I dare say as with most of you on here, I’d love to be able to retire from the (stressful) day job and live from earnings from writing.

Whilst I do have faith in my story telling abilities, I’m under no illusions that I can retire on one book with pending sequels, well at least without amazing and expensive marketing that is.

So, my idea is to write and release a few novellas, probably in series format, as self published and offer for free for the time being (under a different pen name too). This way I can test my writing style without fear of giving myself a negative name or ‘killing’ my story. If successful I can always remain as this pen name.

I’ve also started a blog, more of a way of keeping a diary, but hoping to start marketing that at some stage and hopefully do a few guest blogs in the future on other sites.

So, my main questions are, do you think my tactics are viable, is there a better strategy and am I simply dreaming that I could make a living with no experience or online presence to date?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and look forward to any comments and advice.

Allan

Shaggy07
    Participant

Whoops, more to self, check title fits before pressing send.

T. A. Rodgers
    Senior Moderator

Anything is possible. I know of an author that just received $2m for her debut novel. So it does happen.

Just don’t quit your day job until it happens. 🙂

Shaggy07
    Participant

Wow, that’s quite a pay day. Gives me some hope and will keep me dreaming when walking into the office come Monday morning.

$2m from her first book? That should be quite a future in writing that she’s got there now.

Out of curiosity, what genre was her book?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.