Paperback or Pocketbook – Some Questions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  margery65w 1 month ago.

• Author

sherryherrod263
    Participant

I’ve learned quite a bit about Trade Paperbacks and Pocket Paperbacks in the last two days, but the important questions (to me) remain unanswered.

1. Which format is more popular size for genre fiction (meaning, which format is purchased more often than the other for the same title)? I have some anecdotal evidence that strongly supports Pocketbook size as the more popular.

2. Why don’t the “free” self publishing platforms such as CreateSpace or Amazon KDP (are there any others?) offer the Pocketbook size(s) along with the trade paperback sizes?

A third question is more of a poll – would you like to have Pocketbook sizes available for your printing needs?

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Hi MikePhilip. 🙂

I’m glad to see you posting a lot and reviving the community, welcome aboard.

The first two questions I cannot properly answer, but I can give my theories and guesses about them.

I would guess that the pocketbook size, called “mass-market” paperbacks by the publishing houses, are more popular because they are usually cheaper than “trade” paperbacks and “hardcover” editions.

I would guess that the print on demand platforms don’t offer the mass-market size because the profit margin is too low after subtracting the costs like shipping and handling and the overhead costs.

As for the third question, as a indie author (self-publisher), yes I would like the option of being able to offer books for sale at the lower cost mass-market size.

It is a trade off though, because if the buyer is like me, I would always buy the cheaper option which in this case means buying the mass-market edition instead of the trade edition or the hardcover edition.

But these days I like ebooks better than print books. I have too many print books which are problematic in terms of storage. And I am always at my computer so quickly looking at a digital ebook is much more convenient than having to go through my piles of books to find the one I want.

All the above were just my guesses and my 2 cents.

margery65w
    Participant

MikePhillip wrote:
    > I’ve learned quite a bit about Trade Paperbacks and Pocket Paperbacks in
    > the last two days, but the important questions (to me) remain unanswered.
    >

AFAIK pocket size are meant for airports and supermarkets.
    Trade is usually used for NF and more serious books.
    Serious fiction is more likely to be trade sized not pocket size.

I do not like the small size myself. But they are convenient for racks to sell with.

Why the hangup on the size?
    Why not look at B&N and see what sizes are common for your type of writing.

margery65w
    Participant

Dreams of Tanelorn wrote:
    > Hi MikePhilip. 🙂

>
    > As for the third question, as a indie author (self-publisher), yes I would
    > like the option of being able to offer books for sale at the lower cost
    > mass-market size.

My experience in pricing books is that mass market pocket books are not cheaper.
    Certainly not for the volume a SP would print.

Try the various calculators that printers have online and compare sizes vs quantity to decide what is best for your.

And you would likely have to print all of them in advance, not POD, to get a decent quantity price.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.