On Wisdom

Home Forums Critique Central Spiritual Writing On Wisdom

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  bbzdfnjh03 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

bbzdfnjh03
    Participant

Thank you for reading. This is part of a collection I’m writing on some of my theory’s and beliefs. I welcome all critique.

On Wisdom

Wisdom, I believe, requires three things. Firstly, there must be a theory, or more specifically, a theory of cause and effect. For example, I’d say to you, “It is wise to hug this cactus plant.” I have just created a theory of cause and effect; if you want to be wise, you will hug the cactus. If you don’t, you won’t. I have associated an action that will, in effect, be wise or unwise. But this is hardly a solid basis for establishing a true Law of Wisdom.

The second thing that is required is a critic. If there is no criticism, I become very foolish telling the world of my wonderful newfound theory. But, chances are, when I made the above statement, your reply was probably, “No, you idiot. Hugging a cactus is not wise.” Even if you do not know your statement is true, your critique of my theory is detrimental to whether or not the theory actually is. Perhaps instead, you were kinder and said, “But, what if it’s not wise?” (Remember, one can critique their own theory; this is probably the wisest of critiques. Or there may be several critics; also very wise.) Regardless of how harsh or soft the statement is, neither of us can really be sure our opinion (and that’s all it is until verified) is true until adding in the third ingredient; experience.

Note here that Wisdom always demand some action not simply theories of actions. Experience speaks truth. Until I experience hugging a cactus plant for myself, although, preferably, I could learn from others experiences, I will not know if my theory can or should become a Law of Wisdom. Someone must experience at least a little of the cause to know the effect. And it follows that, though I doubt any have actually hugged a cactus plant, most have had enough experience with one, or experienced others experiencing one, that they can make the very wise conclusion, “It is unwise to hug a cactus.”

A wise person will use all of these things to establish if an action is wise or unwise. Leave one out and you’re stuck with either a useless one-sided theory with unverified arguments, the means of obtaining wisdom through stupidity (which most of us use), or a crazy person who likes to hug cacti because they deem it wise. Use all three, and Wisdom will show herself.

I must mention here in closing that though our Law of Wisdom says, “It is unwise to hug a cactus,” there are always times when these laws have exceptions. If one came up to me holding my wife at swordpoint and very seriously said,” Hug this Cactus or your wife dies!” it is a very wise thing to hug the cactus. All laws are subject to the context of the present situation, if they were not, I’d be a widower who would probably want to hug a cactus. If it cannot be contextually flexible, it is probably not Wisdom.

Again, thank you for your time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.