No Admins or Moderators?

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party No Admins or Moderators?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

sherryherrod263
    Participant

Some problems here that, if resolved, would fill my heart with joy:

1. I cannot send private messages. I receive them, but no can send. I’ve tried initiating and replying, but both messages remain in the outbox as unsent. One is a response to a new (newer than me,can you believe it? 😆 ) who requested some assistance. So, no sense trying to contact anyone in control because they’d never receive the message.

2. Is there anyone in control? The Site Admin, according to their profile, hasn’t been to the forum in over a year, and one member who is tagged in once place as a moderator isn’t so labeled in their profile. Is anyone running the asylum? 😆

I’m aware this forum has some problems, but I’m not bashing it or the folks at FW. I would, however like to be able to use the same functions as everybody else seems to be able to use. Is there any hope of that happening?

Anonymous

There are people “running the asylum”, and they have been active in the last year (like, last few days). I’ll shoot a PM to Terry on your behalf to see what can be done.

sherryherrod263
    Participant

Thanks.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

Hey Mike. Try sending me a PM. What I think is happening is you think it’s not being sent but in reality it is, and it will stay like what you see until the person reads it.

I was away on vacation the last 2 weeks (OMG Switzerland is beautiful) and unfortunately I’m the only full admin as our beloved Paul passed away. I unfortunately do not have rights to give others full admin rights only thread and topic admin rights to certain areas, hence Ostarella has been helping out tremendously in keeping the introductions thread as clean as possible from all the spam.

The site needs a complete overhaul, which we were promised in the fall of last year. As we can see it didn’t happen. I’ve sent emails to the WD contact person, but haven’t receive any responses in 6 months. If they actually gave me complete rights into the software DB and control panel, I could probably fix it as I do see the errors in the admin panel, but my request for that last year went unanswered.

We just have to continue to be patient until maybe someday WD will fix this forum.

Anonymous

So far as I know, Mike’s gone.

I said something he didn’t like, got him angry, and he left.

Sorry.

khwybebm50
    Participant

T.A.Rodgers wrote:
    > Hey Mike. Try sending me a PM. What I think is happening is you think it’s
    > not being sent but in reality it is, and it will stay like what you see
    > until the person reads it.
    >
    > I was away on vacation the last 2 weeks (OMG Switzerland is beautiful) and
    > unfortunately I’m the only full admin as our beloved Paul passed away. I
    > unfortunately do not have rights to give others full admin rights only
    > thread and topic admin rights to certain areas, hence Ostarella has been
    > helping out tremendously in keeping the introductions thread as clean as
    > possible from all the spam.
    >
    > The site needs a complete overhaul, which we were promised in the fall of
    > last year. As we can see it didn’t happen. I’ve sent emails to the WD
    > contact person, but haven’t receive any responses in 6 months. If they
    > actually gave me complete rights into the software DB and control panel, I
    > could probably fix it as I do see the errors in the admin panel, but my
    > request for that last year went unanswered.
    >
    > We just have to continue to be patient until maybe someday WD will fix this
    > forum.

….no offence intended, at least not in a mean or malicious fashion however in regard to any site overhaul being put into motion, the elephant in the forum remains: are they honestly willing? Or too overwhelmed to think about it?

Btw, congrats on your trip to Swizerland I hope it was a beneficial & restful trip abroad.
    I hope everyone in the forum has had a good, low-key week.
    -Diana

Anonymous

Shorty3.0 wrote:
    >
    > ….no offence intended, at least not in a mean or malicious fashion however in
    > regard to any site overhaul being put into motion, the elephant in the forum remains:
    > are they honestly willing? Or too overwhelmed to think about it?

I don’t think they’re overwhelmed or willing. We’ve gotten a lot of promises and nothing of substance. But as long as the spam is kept to the Introductions (and I keep playing whack-a-mole with the little buggers), we can have some pretty decent discussions anyway. (Hint – if reading the Intros, skip any that aren’t in deep blue. Saves a lot of frustration if you wait until they’ve either been approved or deleted 😉 )

margery65w
    Participant

RobTheThird wrote:
    > So far as I know, Mike’s gone.
    >
    > I said something he didn’t like, got him angry, and he left.
    >
    > Sorry.

Or maybe he gave up thinking nobody was watching the store.

margery65w
    Participant

T.A.Rodgers wrote:
    > Hey Mike. Try sending me a PM. What I think is happening is you think it’s
    > not being sent but in reality it is, and it will stay like what you see
    > until the person reads it.
    >
    > I was away on vacation the last 2 weeks (OMG Switzerland is beautiful) and
    > unfortunately I’m the only full admin as our beloved Paul passed away. I
    > unfortunately do not have rights to give others full admin rights only
    > thread and topic admin rights to certain areas, hence Ostarella has been
    > helping out tremendously in keeping the introductions thread as clean as
    > possible from all the spam.
    >
    > The site needs a complete overhaul, which we were promised in the fall of
    > last year. As we can see it didn’t happen. I’ve sent emails to the WD
    > contact person, but haven’t receive any responses in 6 months. If they
    > actually gave me complete rights into the software DB and control panel, I
    > could probably fix it as I do see the errors in the admin panel, but my
    > request for that last year went unanswered.
    >
    > We just have to continue to be patient until maybe someday WD will fix this
    > forum.

Hope you enjoyed your trip.

I guess the real question is does WD care about the forum at all or just let it keep going on because they are afraid to kill it off?

What was that old greeting card verse about alligators and swamp draining?

The Writer seems to be hanging on with funding from the other mags that publisher has.
    Down to 9000 readers from what I read somewhere.

Could WD be having the same problems only not as bad yet?
    Over the years the book club died. The magazine changed focus a lot to try to cope with changes in publishing and reading post internet.

You would think that the powers that be would at least tell you what the sitrep was and what their plans are if any.

margery65w
    Participant

ostarella wrote:
    > Shorty3.0 wrote:
    > >
    > > ….no offence intended, at least not in a mean or malicious fashion however in
    > > regard to any site overhaul being put into motion, the elephant in the forum
    > remains:
    > > are they honestly willing? Or too overwhelmed to think about it?
    >
    > I don’t think they’re overwhelmed or willing. We’ve gotten a lot of promises and
    > nothing of substance. But as long as the spam is kept to the Introductions (and I
    > keep playing whack-a-mole with the little buggers), we can have some pretty decent
    > discussions anyway. (Hint – if reading the Intros, skip any that aren’t in deep
    > blue. Saves a lot of frustration if you wait until they’ve either been approved or
    > deleted 😉 )

I guess quality over quantity. For the most part there does not seem to be a lot of discussions.
    I recall 20? years ago when there was a lot more activity. Even some of the other, independent, fora are livelier.
    As a 50+ year reader of WD , as well as many of their books, I would hope they would do something.
    Or at least tell TAR what the true schedule is, else tell him that they are not planning on doing anything.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

Switzerland was absolutely incredible. If I ever found a work from home job, I may move there. 🙂

I heard back from our WD contact. WD recently changed management at the top. Not sure if that means much but our contact is trying to see if she can push for a date for the new system. I believe the reason there are so few discussions is because of the cumbersome website. Very slow to load, multiple bug issues, and outdated capabilities. It would be nice to have a new system. I like the idea of this site. And it has never gotten crazy like Water Cooler.

cypher
    Participant

Glad to see some movement on this subject. Jessica does seem to be trying to help us. It probably feels like trying to push a boulder uphill for her right now.

Anonymous

I just want to get my username back. I’m tired of fearing the need to clear cookies on browsers where I’m logged in.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

Right there with you Rob. I’m on my 5th account. I no longer log in from multiple machines and haven’t logged out of this one for more than a year.

khwybebm50
    Participant

MikePhillip wrote:
    >
    > I’m aware this forum has some problems, but I’m not bashing it or the folks
    > at FW. I would, however like to be able to use the same functions aseth
    > everybody else seems to be able to use. Is there any hope of that
    > happening?

Forum problems, yes, there used to be what seemed a ginormous amount, quite a bit of which caused about as much hardship as the spammers at one point (or several points) in time since I first joined up with my original shorty nickname here when my kids were little. When things got too chaotic here in the WD community, I had to drop out, as the chaos with my divorce, ex, raising my kids on my own was more chaos than I could handle. I hope, some of the others who left from back then will find their way to visiting the WD community again. We had not only Paul, Deb, among others who were well-known & respected by many of us. I haven’t seen Deb on here since I’ve been back, sadly, and we lost Paul. What happened to (I think his name was/is) James, he was pretty serious at his writing craft too.

Carpe Diem…and never look back. I know I’m not!
    -Diana

Anonymous

I’ve been wondering about James for some time now – haven’t found any “bad news” online so hopefully he’s simply retired. He and I didn’t always agree but he was still a wealth of knowledge and good advice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.