New to Community: Advice Needed

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Introductions New to Community: Advice Needed

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  timeradrake 4 months ago.

• Author

LindsayB
    Participant

New and looking for advice
    RE: Autobiography Organization

Advice needed on a narrator beginning a story without all of the information. (Perception based on limited information.)
    This slow reveal of information shapes the story.
    Example:
    This is what was happening….
    10 months later
    This is what was really happening…

Should the limited perspective be immediately followed by the full perspective? In the same chapter?
    Or should the full perspective be revealed and reflected on in a later chapter?

Thank you!!
    Sugaree

AngelinaK52
    Participant

Welcome to the forums.

timeradrake
    Participant

Belated welcome!

> Should the limited perspective be immediately followed by the full perspective? In the same chapter?
    > Or should the full perspective be revealed and reflected on in a later chapter?

A a reader, I don’t like being told. I like discovering. I enjoy the journey that I take with the protagonist. Or with the antagonist.

So maybe I’m not your target reader, but I choose C. None of the above. Let your POV character behave naturally, as he or she should. Almost every time, full revelation doesn’t happen all at once. So let the POV character learn, and let us learn with the character. Don’t tell us. Let us see it. Kind of a “show, don’t tell” advice.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.