Metaphors

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  GidgetLindley8 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hello everyone,
    I’ve just read a very old thread from 2008 called “Adverbs, adjectives, simile and metaphor under attack???”. It was really interesting for me, especially because I was taught to use metaphors and similies as often as possible to convey a deeper meaning of the text or to make it more three-dimensional.
    I totally get why adverbs and adjectives shouldn’t be used frequently, but what about those similies and metaphors?

In my opinion, the following is a great example:
    “The world was turning around Billie. Her legs were noddles, and her eyes burned like bags of bleach.” To me this seems much more vivid than this:
    “Billie felt nauseated and weak.”

Obviously, it’s a personal preference, but what will editors and publishers prefer?
    And, by the way, does anyone know some examples for metaphors? All I can think about are similies…

Sorry if this thread is too similar to the old one… I just had some remaining questions

Thanks in advance
    Greetings

Anonymous
    Tatzme wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    I’ve just read a very old thread from 2008 called “Adverbs, adjectives, simile and metaphor under attack???”. It was really interesting for me, especially because I was taught to use metaphors and similies as often as possible to convey a deeper meaning of the text or to make it more three-dimensional.
    I totally get why adverbs and adjectives shouldn’t be used frequently, but what about those similies and metaphors?

“The world was turning around Billie. Her legs were noddles, and her eyes burned like bags of bleach.” To me this seems much more vivid than this:

Obviously, it’s a personal preference, but what will editors and publishers prefer?
    And, by the way, does anyone know some examples for metaphors? All I can think about are similies…

Sorry if this thread is too similar to the old one… I just had some remaining questions

Thanks in advance
    Greetings

Seems like it is personal. My English profs liked them. I hated them as they were confusing and slowed down the reading as you tried to figure out what exactly they really meant.

A simile is a figure of speech that makes a comparison, showing similarities between two different things. Unlike a metaphor, a simile draws resemblance with the help of the words “like” or “as.” Therefore, it is a direct comparison.

A metaphor is a figure of speech that is used to make a comparison between two things that aren’t alike but do have something in common. Unlike a simile, where two things are compared directly using like or as, a metaphor’s comparison is more indirect by stating something is something else. A metaphor is very expressive; it is not meant to be taken literally.You may have to work a little to find the meaning in a metaphor.

For example, the phrase, “My brother is the black sheep of the family,” is a metaphor because he is not a sheep, nor is he black.
    However, we can use this comparison to describe an association of a black sheep with that person. A black sheep is an unusual animal, which typically stays away from the herd, and the person being described shares similar characteristics.

Other examples of metaphor:

The snow is a white blanket.
    The classroom was a zoo.
    America is a melting pot.
    Her lovely voice was music to his ears.
    Life is a rollercoaster. ….

Other example of similes:
    Our soldiers are as brave as lions.
    Her cheeks are red like a rose.
    He is as funny as a monkey.
    The water well was as dry as a bone.
    He is as cunning as a fox.

cypher
    Participant
    Tatzme wrote:

I think I am right in saying that the first part of your example is a metaphor, because Billie’s legs became noodles – something they obviously weren’t – and the second part is a simile, although ‘bags of bleach’ is not a good comparison. ‘Burned like fire’ would be better.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, you good grammarians. 😀

Anonymous
    Oldtimer wrote:
    Tatzme wrote:

I think I am right in saying that the first part of your example is a metaphor, because Billie’s legs became noodles – something they obviously weren’t – and the second part is a simile, although ‘bags of bleach’ is not a good comparison. ‘Burned like fire’ would be better.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, you good grammarians. 😀

You nailed it according to my references.

Simile uses like or as.
    Metaphor uses is or was to equate unlike things.

Anonymous

I think the thing to remember with adverbs, adjectives, similes and metaphors is not to over-use them, and to make sure you’re using them appropriately. Consider them the spices you add to a stew – too few and the stew is tasteless; too many and it’s torture to the palate.

Anonymous

Metaphors and similes are like spices too much and it’s overkill.

Anonymous

@oldtimer:
    Yeah, I totally agree with you. “Bags of bleach” actually doesn’t make a lot of sense to be used in that way. Although I’d never wording like that I thought the phrase was expressing vividly what Billie was going through (That’s why I chose it for the example). In my opinion “Burned like fire” does sound a lot better.

@sammy2:
    Thanks a lot for the example

@ostarella, @noizchild:
    What a great similie haha
    Yeah, thanks a lot – I totally should consider that, because I tend to overuse metaphors and similies. They just seem so illustrative and, well, I often find them to be amusing or thought-provoking.

@noizchild:
    The extract from the poem is very cool, I just felt like saying that haha

So, thanks again to all of you. Have a great day (:

Anonymous
    Tatzme wrote:
    @ostarella, @noizchild:
    What a great similie haha
    Yeah, thanks a lot – I totally should consider that, because I tend to overuse metaphors and similies. They just seem so illustrative and, well, I often find them to be amusing or thought-provoking.

@noizchild:
    The extract from the poem is very cool, I just felt like saying that haha

So, thanks again to all of you. Have a great day (:

Thank you and you’re welcome.

GidgetLindley8
    Participant

sammy2 wrote:
    > You nailed it according to my references.
    >
    > Simile uses like or as.
    > Metaphor uses is or was to equate unlike things.

Nice to know the difference.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.