Metaphors

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  GidgetLindley8 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #346488

    Anonymous

    Hello everyone,
    I’ve just read a very old thread from 2008 called “Adverbs, adjectives, simile and metaphor under attack???”. It was really interesting for me, especially because I was taught to use metaphors and similies as often as possible to convey a deeper meaning of the text or to make it more three-dimensional.
    I totally get why adverbs and adjectives shouldn’t be used frequently, but what about those similies and metaphors?

    In my opinion, the following is a great example:
    “The world was turning around Billie. Her legs were noddles, and her eyes burned like bags of bleach.” To me this seems much more vivid than this:
    “Billie felt nauseated and weak.”

    Obviously, it’s a personal preference, but what will editors and publishers prefer?
    And, by the way, does anyone know some examples for metaphors? All I can think about are similies…

    Sorry if this thread is too similar to the old one… I just had some remaining questions

    Thanks in advance
    Greetings

  • #654520

    Anonymous
    Tatzme wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    I’ve just read a very old thread from 2008 called “Adverbs, adjectives, simile and metaphor under attack???”. It was really interesting for me, especially because I was taught to use metaphors and similies as often as possible to convey a deeper meaning of the text or to make it more three-dimensional.
    I totally get why adverbs and adjectives shouldn’t be used frequently, but what about those similies and metaphors?

    In my opinion, the following is a great example:
    “The world was turning around Billie. Her legs were noddles, and her eyes burned like bags of bleach.” To me this seems much more vivid than this:
    “Billie felt nauseated and weak.”

    Obviously, it’s a personal preference, but what will editors and publishers prefer?
    And, by the way, does anyone know some examples for metaphors? All I can think about are similies…

    Sorry if this thread is too similar to the old one… I just had some remaining questions

    Thanks in advance
    Greetings

    Seems like it is personal. My English profs liked them. I hated them as they were confusing and slowed down the reading as you tried to figure out what exactly they really meant.

    A simile is a figure of speech that makes a comparison, showing similarities between two different things. Unlike a metaphor, a simile draws resemblance with the help of the words “like” or “as.” Therefore, it is a direct comparison.

    A metaphor is a figure of speech that is used to make a comparison between two things that aren’t alike but do have something in common. Unlike a simile, where two things are compared directly using like or as, a metaphor’s comparison is more indirect by stating something is something else. A metaphor is very expressive; it is not meant to be taken literally.You may have to work a little to find the meaning in a metaphor.

    For example, the phrase, “My brother is the black sheep of the family,” is a metaphor because he is not a sheep, nor is he black.
    However, we can use this comparison to describe an association of a black sheep with that person. A black sheep is an unusual animal, which typically stays away from the herd, and the person being described shares similar characteristics.

    Other examples of metaphor:

    The snow is a white blanket.
    The classroom was a zoo.
    America is a melting pot.
    Her lovely voice was music to his ears.
    Life is a rollercoaster. ….

    Other example of similes:
    Our soldiers are as brave as lions.
    Her cheeks are red like a rose.
    He is as funny as a monkey.
    The water well was as dry as a bone.
    He is as cunning as a fox.

  • #654521

    cypher
    Participant
    Tatzme wrote:
    In my opinion, the following is a great example:
    “The world was turning around Billie. Her legs were noddles, and her eyes burned like bags of bleach.” To me this seems much more vivid than this:
    “Billie felt nauseated and weak.”

    I think I am right in saying that the first part of your example is a metaphor, because Billie’s legs became noodles – something they obviously weren’t – and the second part is a simile, although ‘bags of bleach’ is not a good comparison. ‘Burned like fire’ would be better.

    Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, you good grammarians. 😀

  • #654522

    Anonymous
    Oldtimer wrote:
    Tatzme wrote:
    In my opinion, the following is a great example:
    “The world was turning around Billie. Her legs were noddles, and her eyes burned like bags of bleach.” To me this seems much more vivid than this:
    “Billie felt nauseated and weak.”

    I think I am right in saying that the first part of your example is a metaphor, because Billie’s legs became noodles – something they obviously weren’t – and the second part is a simile, although ‘bags of bleach’ is not a good comparison. ‘Burned like fire’ would be better.

    Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, you good grammarians. 😀

    You nailed it according to my references.

    Simile uses like or as.
    Metaphor uses is or was to equate unlike things.

  • #654523

    Anonymous

    I think the thing to remember with adverbs, adjectives, similes and metaphors is not to over-use them, and to make sure you’re using them appropriately. Consider them the spices you add to a stew – too few and the stew is tasteless; too many and it’s torture to the palate.

  • #654524

    Anonymous

    Metaphors and similes are like spices too much and it’s overkill.

  • #654525

    Anonymous

    @oldtimer:
    Yeah, I totally agree with you. “Bags of bleach” actually doesn’t make a lot of sense to be used in that way. Although I’d never wording like that I thought the phrase was expressing vividly what Billie was going through (That’s why I chose it for the example). In my opinion “Burned like fire” does sound a lot better.

    @sammy2:
    Thanks a lot for the example

    @ostarella, @noizchild:
    What a great similie haha
    Yeah, thanks a lot – I totally should consider that, because I tend to overuse metaphors and similies. They just seem so illustrative and, well, I often find them to be amusing or thought-provoking.

    @noizchild:
    The extract from the poem is very cool, I just felt like saying that haha

    So, thanks again to all of you. Have a great day (:

  • #654526

    Anonymous
    Tatzme wrote:
    @ostarella, @noizchild:
    What a great similie haha
    Yeah, thanks a lot – I totally should consider that, because I tend to overuse metaphors and similies. They just seem so illustrative and, well, I often find them to be amusing or thought-provoking.

    @noizchild:
    The extract from the poem is very cool, I just felt like saying that haha

    So, thanks again to all of you. Have a great day (:

    Thank you and you’re welcome.

  • #654527

    GidgetLindley8
    Participant

    sammy2 wrote:
    > You nailed it according to my references.
    >
    > Simile uses like or as.
    > Metaphor uses is or was to equate unlike things.

    Nice to know the difference.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.