Magic System Naming: College/School aka Discipline

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Magic System Naming: College/School aka Discipline

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

jmurph65641
    Participant

Anyone know of how people come up with terms like necromancy or if there is a encyclopedia or wikitionary on the (etymology) of magic root naming? For example it doesn’t have to be just mancy meanings it could also be like restoration/conjuration but I’d rather not accidentally use a copyrighted term to a game or video game. Unless if anyone knows anything about said terms being public domain and not copyrightable?

Anonymous

Necromancy has been a term for ages – like since 1300 (https://www.etymonline.com/word/necromancy?ref=etymonline_crossreference). And most single words or terms are not copyright protected, though some may have trademark protection. But unless the word you’re using indicates a specific product, there’s very little chance even of that. If there’s any question, just google it – you’ll immediately know if it’s trademarked. And of course, if you’re trade publishing, the publisher will let you know if you need to use a different term. But if you’ve read enough books similar to yours, you’ll know what terms are common usage.

Basically, don’t make a mountain out of a molehill. You’ll spend all your time looking up words and none putting them on paper.

Anonymous

Just play around with the language. Something will hit.

jmurph65641
    Participant

ostarella wrote:
    > Necromancy has been a term for ages – like since 1300
    > (https://www.etymonline.com/word/necromancy?ref=etymonline_crossreference).
    > And most single words or terms are not copyright protected, though some may
    > have trademark protection. But unless the word you’re using indicates a
    > specific product, there’s very little chance even of that. If there’s any
    > question, just google it – you’ll immediately know if it’s trademarked. And
    > of course, if you’re trade publishing, the publisher will let you know if
    > you need to use a different term. But if you’ve read enough books similar
    > to yours, you’ll know what terms are common usage.
    >
    > Basically, don’t make a mountain out of a molehill. You’ll spend all your
    > time looking up words and none putting them on paper.

Thanks for your help.

jmurph65641
    Participant

Noizchild wrote:
    > Just play around with the language. Something will hit.

k I’m horrible at naming, its a weakness. I’ll try.

Anonymous

A name can’t be copyrighted. Like Han Solo.

It can be trademarked.

If, however, you make a swashbuckling, smart-mouthed space pirate called Hin Sala, you could have trouble.

Generally speaking, historical names for things are open for use. Sorcery, for example, the name can’t have a copyright on it.

I think that basically puts me in the “molehill” camp. Stop thinking of it as “naming.” Consider your world’s history. How did it come about? How did your people discover the magic? Is there a language that developed for it?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.