Is George R.R. Martin afraid of finishing ASOIAF?

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Is George R.R. Martin afraid of finishing ASOIAF?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  AngelinaK52 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Do you think George R. R. Martin is afraid of finishing A Song of Ice and Fire?

Here are a couple YouTube videos on why George R. R. Martin won’t finish his series.

“Why George Martin Will Never Finish ASOIAF”
    by Got Academy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi7ux3MViHs

“Why Game of Thrones Jumped the Shark (and why George R.R. Martin will never finish his series)”
    by The Distributist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iePTjdDXslM
    (His reasoning as to why George R. R. Martin won’t finish his series starts at about time 11:49 in the video. The main part of the reasoning is at time 27:46 in the video.)

Here is what George R. R. Martin has been doing instead.

“12 Things George RR Martin Has Done Instead Of Finishing The Winds Of Winter”
    by GameSpot Universe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGyG5LDdkcE

maxiuomc48
    Participant

In my own writing, there is one story that I am afraid to finish because the end might turn out like [expletive].

And one series I’m afraid to start because I am afraid my writing skills won’t be up to the task.

Stephen King had a book that he had to put off for a while.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Under_the_Dome_(novel)
    “I tried this once before when I was a lot younger and the project was just too big for me.” – Stephen King

Anonymous

The only way to know that you can’t is to try, and fail.

And that is strictly a snapshot, a moment in time.

Success isn’t defined by never failing. It’s defined by failing, trying again, and yet again until you succeed. Always remember Thomas Edison and the telephone. It didn’t work until he had an accident and called for help.

Post-It! notes were a failed project. So was Silly Putty. Both were designed to be one thing, proved poor for that, then someone changed the concept, and BAM!

Maybe GRRM won’t finish. Maybe he will.

Just. Write.

People drive themselves nuts, get paralyzed by what MIGHT happen. Toss that crap in the waste bin. The only thing that matters is what DID happen. And that doesn’t mean it will always happen.

Ending falls flat? Put it away for six months or six years, and try again.

Anonymous

โ€‹If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate. – Thomas J. Watson (of IBM fame)

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Thanks Rob and ostarella. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

Why stop punching that ticket that has garnered millions of dollars? Afraid? I don’t know if he’s that but he can just look over at JK Rowling and see the dynamic success she had after giving up Harry Potter.

With a storyline such as his, he can keep that bloodline going and going… And, as long as the audience stays, just keeping hitting that keyboard until you don’t want to.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Yes, the series does make George R. R. Martin quite a bit of money.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

You can go to ThrillerFest in July in NYC and ask him. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

Side note: A Song of Ice and Fire is already complete. It seems pretty clear that we all knew the intended topic. That would, technically, be Game of Thrones. That’s the series. ASOIAF is one of the books in the Game of Thrones series.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

T.A.Rodgers wrote:
    > You can go to ThrillerFest in July in NYC and ask him. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Terry. ๐Ÿ™‚

Asking George R. R. Martin if he is afraid of finishing his series or even when he will finish his series will probably not go very well.

He has already given a response to people who ask him when he will finish his series and the response shows that he is tired of people asking him.

Anyway, it is not something really important to know, I just thought it would be an interesting discussion topic. The people in the videos in the first post give a couple interesting reasons as to why they think he won’t finish his series.

debbieolch
    Participant

I can finally reveal that I have been contracted to complete the series of books.

spoiler alert:
    Everyone dies except Arya and Tyrion and they bring balance to the force by . . .

JK

clareantoinette
    Participant

RobTheThird wrote:
    > Side note: A Song of Ice and Fire is already complete. It seems pretty
    > clear that we all knew the intended topic. That would, technically, be
    > Game of Thrones. That’s the series. ASOIAF is one of the books in the
    > Game of Thrones series.

Oh, no! I just cringed so hard I may have broke something. ๐Ÿ˜‰ “A Song of Ice and Fire” is the book series with “Game of Thrones” being the title of book one. The HBO series is Game of Thrones. :geek:

As to whether Martin will ever finish the series, I believe he wants to finish it someday, but like all of us, he isn’t getting any younger, and time has a way of interfering with our long-term plans. And this series is only one of the things he’s working on, so it’s not unreasonable to believe he’ll run out of time before he gets it done. I haven’t lost any sleep over it.

Anonymous

I thought I looked that up. Hmm.

Guess I didn’t: https://www.amazon.com/Thrones-Clash-Kings-Swords-Dragons/dp/0345535529

CircadianRhythms
    Participant

I think George made it too complicated and didn’t know where he wanted to take the final book. Then HBO turned up at his door, paid him $$$ for a TV series, and that forced him to make changes to his incomplete final book. He has to write two endings now, one for TV, one for the books. And I don’t believe he had one ending to begin with.

I’m not comparing my new 12 chapter book to ASOIAF (although it does have dragons, princesses, sword fighting etc) but I started it like 9 years ago and only just finished it two weeks ago. I was waiting for the right direction to take it in, I didn’t want to publish it too soon and then come up with a better ending afterwards and hate myself for finishing it too quickly. Maybe that’s George’s thinking too…

maxiuomc48
    Participant

DrG2 wrote:
    > I can finally reveal that I have been contracted to complete the series of
    > books.
    >
    > spoiler alert:
    > Everyone dies except Arya and Tyrion and they bring balance to the force by
    > . . .
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > JK

๐Ÿ˜†

Thanks for the reply DrG2. ๐Ÿ™‚

maxiuomc48
    Participant

updog wrote:
    > RobTheThird wrote:
    > > Side note: A Song of Ice and Fire is already complete. It seems pretty
    > > clear that we all knew the intended topic. That would, technically, be
    > > Game of Thrones. That’s the series. ASOIAF is one of the books in the
    > > Game of Thrones series.
    >
    > Oh, no! I just cringed so hard I may have broke something. ๐Ÿ˜‰ “A Song of Ice
    > and Fire” is the book series with “Game of Thrones” being the title of
    > book one. The HBO series is Game of Thrones. :geek:
    >
    > As to whether Martin will ever finish the series, I believe he wants to finish it
    > someday, but like all of us, he isn’t getting any younger, and time has a way of
    > interfering with our long-term plans. And this series is only one of the things he’s
    > working on, so it’s not unreasonable to believe he’ll run out of time before he gets
    > it done. I haven’t lost any sleep over it.

RobTheThird wrote:
    > I thought I looked that up. Hmm.
    >
    > Guess I didn’t:
    > https://www.amazon.com/Thrones-Clash-Kings-Swords-Dragons/dp/0345535529

Thanks for the posts, updog and RobTheThird. ๐Ÿ™‚

maxiuomc48
    Participant

StuYork wrote:
    > I think George made it too complicated and didn’t know where he wanted to
    > take the final book. Then HBO turned up at his door, paid him $$$ for a TV
    > series, and that forced him to make changes to his incomplete final book.
    > He has to write two endings now, one for TV, one for the books. And I don’t
    > believe he had one ending to begin with.
    >
    > I’m not comparing my new 12 chapter book to ASOIAF (although it does have
    > dragons, princesses, sword fighting etc) but I started it like 9 years ago
    > and only just finished it two weeks ago. I was waiting for the right
    > direction to take it in, I didn’t want to publish it too soon and then come
    > up with a better ending afterwards and hate myself for finishing it too
    > quickly. Maybe that’s George’s thinking too…

Hi StuYork. ๐Ÿ™‚

One of the two guys in the video by “Got Academy” basically says the same thing, that George R. R. Martin has made the series too complicated and it is now too big for one man to resolve everything.

“Why George Martin Will Never Finish ASOIAF”
    by Got Academy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi7ux3MViHs

The guy also says that maybe George R. R. Martin doesn’t want to finish the books because he is too in love with the world he created.

The guy also says that maybe George R. R. Martin is afraid the ending of his series being unsatisfactory like the ending to the series “Lost”.

The other guy in the video says that maybe George R. R. Martin is afraid if he finishes the series, the series won’t be as good as Tolkien’s work.

The guy also says that:
    George R. R. Martin had originally planned the series to be a trilogy and the first 3 books were published in 4 years.
    Between the 3rd book and the 4th book, was 5 years.
    Between the 4th book and the 5th book, was 6 years.
    And now fans have waited 6 years and counting for the next book in the series, “The Winds of Winter”.

And there is still one more book after “The Winds of Winter”, the 7th book will be “A Dream of Spring”.

The first guy in the video also says that George R. R. Martin is 68 years old and says that George doesn’t look in good health (I’m guessing he says that because George R. R. Martin looks over weight), so George might not be able to finish the series.

The other video has a different reason why George R. R. Martin won’t finish the series.

“Why Game of Thrones Jumped the Shark (and why George R.R. Martin will never finish his series)”
    by The Distributist
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iePTjdDXslM
    (His reasoning as to why George R. R. Martin won’t finish his series starts at about time 12:58 in the video. The main part of the reasoning is at time 27:46 in the video.)

The guy in this video has a complicated answer as to why George R. R. Martin won’t finish the series.

The guy says George R. R. Martin can’t finish the series because George R. R. Martin won’t be able to give a proper cathartic ending to the series because George R. R. Martin is a total cynic who doesn’t believe in truth, goodness, and beauty in the eternal sense that Shakespeare did. And the guy says that you can’t have cynical catharsis. The guy says that the ending can’t be written because George R. R. Martin doesn’t believe in abstract good and evil.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

Martin has another novel release in November. Novel is called Fire and Blood and appears to be from the ASOIAF series.

I wonder if it’s too soon to get an ARC at the upcoming ThrillerFest. He’s this year’s ThrillerMaster, so there may be a chance. ๐Ÿ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.