In need of some writing advice! Any tips?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  yellowducky 3 days, 18 hours ago.

• Author

skilleds2dent
    Participant

I’m a college student studying engineering and as a means of earning some extra money on the side, I decided to take up a part-time job creating content for an international dating blog. I’m no Shakespeare by any means, but I can write fairly well. The only problem is, I don’t have any experience writing about romance or dating in general, so I’m a bit at a loss for words here. Any tips or advice for writing about related topics? I could use some help!

shadowwalker
    Participant

Well, you may have jumped the gun taking a job for which you had no experience or knowledge. That said, I would check out other similar blogs and see what they’re doing, content-wise. I’d also start looking elsewhere for a writing gig you’re more suited to.

Rob Vargas

You’ve landed yourself in quite a trap, I think.

One of the biggest rules of writing is to write what you know. Followed by writing what you’re passionate about.

It sounds like you’ve “chased the market,” in a manner of speaking. This is a fairly common occurrence, I think, when you choose what’s available instead of what interests you.

All I can suggest is finding some connection to the subject matter. Maybe something about first date jitters, or how you set yourself up for that first date.

And then do a LOT of reading. You need to find an audience that you can count on, or the blog may choose to let you go. And finding an audience pretty much requires a significant amount of research.

Good luck!

yellowducky
    Participant

USe your imagination .. you could start off where you met,Who the other person was,why they are such great friends .. Stuff like that .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.