How’s Your Writing Going?

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party How’s Your Writing Going?

This topic contains 80 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 months ago.

• Author

T. A. Rodgers
    Senior Moderator

For obvious reasons, there’s not a lot of posting going on after the crazy posts from the weekend. Hopefully he will finally go away. 😕

Anyway, what is everyone currently working on or in my case trying to work on? After taking a year and a half off from writing for personal reasons I’ve been trying to get back into pounding on my keyboard. I have a R&R that I really need to get to. I spoke to the agent at ThrillerFest and she understands. I know what I want to do to fix the story, but I’m just being lazy and not working on it. I’m really excited with the ideas I have to change this novel, so I really need to get cracking. I’ll get to it sooner or later.

Is anyone currently querying?
    Is anyone almost done a novel?
    Is anyone staring at a blank page and wondering what to write?

Anonymous

I, too, have put things aside for a while – too many remodeling/repair projects going on. 🙁 But I am trying to decide which short story should be finished for the Glimmer Train contest due the end of October. It’s been a couple years since I submitted anything to them and I’m thinking it’s time to test myself again. Not sure I’ll fare any better this time around, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. With winter coming 😥 my outside activities basically die, so then I’ll be going back to the longer stuff.

cypher
    Participant

If I can motivate myself to finish my own page of the family history, I will be able to send it off to CreateSpace for a proof at the end of this month. That should give me enough time to order 45 copies and have them distributed by Christmas.

I don’t know what I’ll do after that. I have several projects on the back burner. Hmmm. Probably do an eenie, meenie, miny, mo. 😀

Anonymous

One new work has grabbed my attention. I want to get a few chapters out.

Then I’ll go back to a finished work. I’m not happy with the second half of it, so going to see what I can do to punch up the story. You’d think becoming a god was more exciting…

GidgetLindley8
    Participant

Anonymous
    T.A.Rodgers wrote:
    For obvious reasons, there’s not a lot of posting going on after the crazy posts from the weekend. Hopefully he will finally go away. 😕

Anyway, what is everyone currently working on or in my case trying to work on? After taking a year and a half off from writing for personal reasons I’ve been trying to get back into pounding on my keyboard. I have a R&R that I really need to get to. I spoke to the agent at ThrillerFest and she understands. I know what I want to do to fix the story, but I’m just being lazy and not working on it. I’m really excited with the ideas I have to change this novel, so I really need to get cracking. I’ll get to it sooner or later.

Is anyone currently querying?
    Is anyone almost done a novel?
    Is anyone staring at a blank page and wondering what to write?

My writing goes slowly. Life keeps getting in the way.

Not querying currently.
    Hoping to start a novel. I did write the great american novel in my sleep once. Could not remember a word of it the next day.
    Nope. Plenty of things to write. Just need more time and fewer distractions.

jIPPity
    Participant

I may have mentioned this already, but I am currently editing the first draft of my current novel. About halfway through the first editing pass. Editing for me is about the writing, not the story, which is fixed by the end of the first draft.

I’m excited about this novel, which is set in Vienna. I’ve workshopped the opening chapters with two best-selling authors, Steve Berry and Steven James. I really feel this is the novel I was meant to write, and that my previous ones were warmups or practice for this one.

I hope to pitch it next July at PitchFest.

–Warren

cypher
    Participant
    wdarcy wrote:
    I may have mentioned this already, but I am currently editing the first draft of my current novel. About halfway through the first editing pass. Editing for me is about the writing, not the story, which is fixed by the end of the first draft.

I’m excited about this novel, which is set in Vienna. I’ve workshopped the opening chapters with two best-selling authors, Steve Berry and Steven James. I really feel this is the novel I was meant to write, and that my previous ones were warmups or practice for this one.

–Warren

We will be cheering for you, Warren. You must let us know how you get on.

Anonymous
    wdarcy wrote:

–Warren

Break a pencil.

Anonymous

I am posting my short stories on a blog, for exercising the writing muscles and hopefully, develop a reader base. not going great so far. A few followers, so that’s good. I finally finished my novel, in rough draft, a very good feeling, but still more to go for it to be finished. Good luck and happy writing, everyone on your projects!

Anonymous

Good, but Word is acting like a diva with me.

Anonymous
    Noizchild wrote:
    Good, but Word is acting like a diva with me.

It does that to everybody. Word is now a bad word processor and a bad typesetter. It should just be a good word processor and forget the fancy layout stuff.

Mine loves to put frames into the document. I dont notice them. But when I print I lose content.
    I have found some things that trigger it like numbering or TOC creation. But sometimes it just happens.
    Word is very frustrating.

I usually recover by copying it all to word pad. Saving as text. Then copying it all back to word.
    Which of course means you have to wait until the very end of all the changes before you do any formatting otherwise you keep duplicating that work.

timeradrake
    Participant

MS Word is a word processor. That’s all it claims to be. People trying to use MS Word for typesetting are using a drill and bit on a screw.

I’ve never had any problems with MS Word as a word processing application. I don’t expect it to do what Acrobat, or even MS Publisher, can do.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

I have used MS Word since the 90’s. I’ve never had a problem with it. I currently use Word 2013 on Windows 10. I always use it with the show/hide feature on to catch those accidental soft returns or tabs. Works like a charm.

Anonymous

I think I’m too old school (or maybe just too old 🙄 ) for most bells and whistles most word processing stuff has. Hit the wrong button and all kinds of “stuff” happens and then try to figure out how to undo it – been there, done that, not for me. I use Atlantis Nova free version which basically makes my pc an electric typewriter with a screen and no ribbon. 😀

cypher
    Participant

I have trouble with Word, too, but it only happens on one image-heavy document. I keep getting the message “Word is not responding”. If I wait a few seconds, sometimes it will put itself right. Other times it will just crash and go into Document Recovery. It’s so frustrating. Because this document is so important, as soon as I add a new section, I save my work manually, but Word saves it too. The Autosave function seemed hyperactive, coming into play every few minutes. Of course I do back ups onto a flash drive several times a day, and that’s been a wise choice. Does anyone else have this problem?

Anonymous
    Oldtimer wrote:
    I have trouble with Word, too, but it only happens on one image-heavy document. I keep getting the message “Word is not responding”. If I wait a few seconds, sometimes it will put itself right. Other times it will just crash and go into Document Recovery. It’s so frustrating. Because this document is so important, as soon as I add a new section, I save my work manually, but Word saves it too. The Autosave function seemed hyperactive, coming into play every few minutes. Of course I do back ups onto a flash drive several times a day, and that’s been a wise choice. Does anyone else have this problem?

I could see that happening. I break long documents into short pieces and make each its own file. It keeps response time better and avoids other problems that could ripple out if something goes wrong and word decides to do things on its own.

There is a setting for autosave. You can set the time between it happening or turn it off.

Anonymous

We’re going Word 2019 next year.

Anonymous
    Noizchild wrote:
    We’re going Word 2019 next year.

You might.

I am still on 2003 or is it 1997.

jIPPity
    Participant

I think I’m still on 2004 for the Mac. Never gave me any trouble.

–Warren

Anonymous
    wdarcy wrote:
    I think I’m still on 2004 for the Mac. Never gave me any trouble.

–Warren

I didn’t have problems with Word when I was on my Dell laptop. When I switched to my Acer laptop, that’s when the problems happened. I’m thinking about ditching Word, but I’ve used it for so long…

jIPPity
    Participant

Noizchild, you need a MacBook Pro. Then you can still use Word without any problems.

–Warren

Anonymous
    wdarcy wrote:
    Noizchild, you need a MacBook Pro. Then you can still use Word without any problems.

–Warren

Maybe. The problem is with word. The question is does the mac version work differently or does it have the same bugs they call features.

pzacharias
    Keymaster

Break a pencil.[/quote]

I have to say it. Made me laugh. Reminded me of the Red Rising series… Break the chains!

From slushpile to 7 figure option

Anonymous
    Harold Saxon wrote:
    Break a pencil.

I have to say it. Made me laugh. Reminded me of the Red Rising series… Break the chains!

From slushpile to 7 figure option[/quote]

It was what some writers used on another forum to be analogous to actors saying break a leg.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Anonymous
    NickMaug wrote:
    When I experienced a lull in my brain, I became complacent in my desire to grow as an individual. I sat alone for some time and dove into an oceanic-like depth of self reflection. I fought battles on my way down and up through what seemed like a thick seaweed of memories. Once I started writing, I truly had no desire to stop.

I wrote a book, titled “Stitched”. The book is very good, naturally I would propose that since I wrote it. The feedback I received from some friends and family was overwhelmingly positive. Once I realized the statement I just presented, I wonder if it is any good at all. Not one person has read my book that I do not know. To nobody’s fault but my own, I decided to save some money and self publish my book through Amazon KDP. Without the knowledge, and even with the resources of the world wide web, I lacked the know how to market my book. I am interested in getting genuine feedback from someone that reads my book and does not know me.

In truth, the book is quite good. Although portrayed as a love story, it is in fact a sports novel. A young man that grew up with his father, on a ranch, and played baseball. His struggle to understand his place in the world, and which path he should choose as he shuffles through life, offers a truly relate-able story. He does find love throughout the book, but it plays tricks on him as a young man, as it often does in teenage lives today.

So, if anyone would entertain the idea of reading a book that sounds like something you could either critique or offer as a lesson to someone you know, please take a gander. Thanks!

{Website deleted due to forum rules…T.A. Rodgers}

So you want us to BUY the book AND give you a critique too?

Be happy with your friends and family’s feedback.

timeradrake
    Participant
    NickMaug wrote:
    When I experienced a lull in my brain, I became complacent in my desire to grow as an individual.

You sure did. I notice that you just posted an advertisement in a forum that expressly forbids advertising posts.

That’s business complacency for sure.

Actually, I call it unethical, but I can accept that complacency fits within unethical practices.

Anonymous

sammy2, you can read the ebook for free, or perhaps a simple preview is available as in most cases with books.

robjvargas, it is unethical to post advertisement? I guess that would depend on the way each individual would define what is and what is not ethical.

I appreciate both of your comments, obviously I have some learning and research to do after my first post. I was unaware of the stringent perfection required to appeal to the audience on here. Thank you for your critiques and lack of recommendations on ways in which I can improve my posts.

Anonymous
    NickMaug wrote:
    sammy2, you can read the ebook for free, or perhaps a simple preview is available as in most cases with books.

robjvargas, it is unethical to post advertisement? I guess that would depend on the way each individual would define what is and what is not ethical.

I appreciate both of your comments, obviously I have some learning and research to do after my first post. I was unaware of the stringent perfection required to appeal to the audience on here. Thank you for your critiques and lack of recommendations on ways in which I can improve my posts.

The ebook price was $3 when I looked at amazon.
    There was no preview except the back cover.

That post was on the borderline. I almost flagged it for deletion.

Stringent perfection? Audience here? What audience likes poor writing that is dull?

Anonymous

Wow, I’ll have to change the price. When I view it, it says that it is free via kindle version, or $0.00.

The post that was borderline is the one you have quoted?

I wasn’t referring to the book in regards to perfection, I was referring to the post. The format and placing an add or a post that was too long. Additionally, just because the writing doesn’t appeal to you does not make it dull.

Anonymous
    NickMaug wrote:
    Wow, I’ll have to change the price. When I view it, it says that it is free via kindle version, or $0.00.

I wasn’t referring to the book in regards to perfection, I was referring to the post. The format and placing an add or a post that was too long. Additionally, just because the writing doesn’t appeal to you does not make it dull.

No

It says free on kindle select if you are amazon prime member.

To me it was dull. And yes it did not appeal to me because it was dull. I will be surprised if anyone does not say it is dull except your amazon reviews.

Anonymous
    sammy2 wrote:
    To me it was dull. And yes it did not appeal to me because it was dull. I will be surprised if anyone does not say it is dull except your amazon reviews.

Please remember the difference between opinion and fact. It didn’t appeal to you because you thought it was dull. Others are free to agree or disagree.

Anonymous
    NickMaug wrote:

The borderline post was the one with the link advertising your book.
    I think I quoted it with my reply.

Anonymous
    ostarella wrote:
    sammy2 wrote:

Please remember the difference between opinion and fact. It didn’t appeal to you because you thought it was dull. Others are free to agree or disagree.

I understand that. I can only state my impression. How about giving him one of your critiques, be sure to rate the dullness on a scale from 0 to 11.

The blurb was interesting. I did not see any of that in the sample. To me the sample was mind numbing dull. All description nothing happening.
    As I noted that might make for great literary fiction or a slice of life vignette but to me that is dull.

I do hope he gets several more folks commenting on it so he has a range of feedback to use. I do not claim to speak for everybody. But until they say something all he has is my honest comments.

Anonymous
    NickMaug wrote:

Stringent perfection? Now there’s a backhanded pseudo-apology.

In the FAQ section is a sticky topic called “WD Rules of Conduct.”

http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=261201

In that topic, the forum administrator posted, among other things:

Quote:
    Posts containing links to business websites, business email addresses, ads for products free or otherwise, and services are not allowed. If you would like to advertise with Writer’s Digest, please contact our ad department.

There’s another rule about not posting already-publishing work for critique. In my opinion, this is the “larger” of the two offenses (so to speak).

My own opinion on ethics is just an opinion, but above is true whether you agree with the ethics opinion or not.

Anonymous

rob-lost, thanks for the information! I deleted the link and will discontinue my postings of such in the future. I was ignorant in assuming that “How’s your writing going?” meant to go all in. Reading the rules of conduct is something I will be doing presently.

“My own opinion on ethics is just an opinion, but above is true whether you agree with the ethics opinion or not.” — I like that.

Anonymous
    NickMaug wrote:
    rob-lost, thanks for the information! I deleted the link and will discontinue my postings of such in the future. I was ignorant in assuming that “How’s your writing going?” meant to go all in. Reading the rules of conduct is something I will be doing presently.

“My own opinion on ethics is just an opinion, but above is true whether you agree with the ethics opinion or not.” — I like that.

This thread was just a general discussion about how it was going.

Actually there are specific places to post items for review. Interesting but I don’t see a category under the critique section that fits your novel.
    Take it outside allows anything. You could always post there without a problem.

Anonymous

It’s going great for my end.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

As everyone has already stated, there’s no advertising allowed here. You could post a chapter of up to 2500 words in the critique sections. You could also post that your novel has been published under the success stories.

As for giving critiques, please re-read the rules. If you can’t give constructive criticism, then give none. Sammy I already know who you are. Do I need to ban you once again?

Anonymous
    T.A.Rodgers wrote:
    As everyone has already stated, there’s no advertising allowed here. You could post a chapter of up to 2500 words in the critique sections. You could also post that your novel has been published under the success stories.

As for giving critiques, please re-read the rules. If you can’t give constructive criticism, then give none. Sammy I already know who you are. Do I need to ban you once again?

Huh? Dont know what you think you know but I am sure you dont know that it isnt so.

My criticism was constructive. Too descriptive. Dull. Nothing happened to motivate the reader to continue. Others concurred with that view.

Anonymous
    sammy2 wrote:
    Huh? Dont know what you think you know but I am sure you dont know that it isnt so.

If you want to hide, william, you really shouldn’t use the same phrasing with different sock puppets.

Anonymous
    ostarella wrote:
    sammy2 wrote:

If you want to hide, william, you really shouldn’t use the same phrasing with different sock puppets.

I am not hiding. No idea what you are talking about.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

As a fellow writer you need to encourage not discourage. Saying something is dull is not constructive. It’s destructive. You can phrase an opinion that encourages a writer without destroying them with a single word.

Anonymous
    T.A.Rodgers wrote:
    As a fellow writer you need to encourage not discourage. Saying something is dull is not constructive. It’s destructive. You can phrase an opinion that encourages a writer without destroying them with a single word.

I encouraged by saying his blurb was good. But the story sample did not live up to that. So I said why.

I encouraged him to stop the endless description and start showing us a reason to care about the protagonist and to start having some action.
    I could not in good conscience encourage anyone to have all that description with no motivation and no action.

By your definition saying anything useful would be destructive. Either we point out the problems so they can fix them, or we become a cheering section like family and friends, which wont really help them write better.

There were numerous issues. At the very lowest level the words were fine. At a higher level it needs better organisation to spread that setting description out amongst motivational events and action. And at a middle level the wording could be polished a lot to improve it.

Anonymous

It’s so exciting hearing what you’re all up to. @wdarcy: Congratulations. I could really feel your excitement from reading the words. Work like this is very inspiring to me, I hope you keep us updated. Best of luck from my side (:

In my writing world, it’s a bit complicated at the moment. Even though it’s still more than a year until I’ll have my finals, I’m already so busy studying for my Abitur. It takes up an insane amount of time, and despite me using every minute I have to go on with my writing, I can’t believe how slow it is going.
    Actually, that’s so frustrating for me. Writing is the thing I’ve always wanted to do since I can remember, and now that I educated myself enough to know how to do it, I can’t fill the pages because I don’t have time. The ideas flow in my mind like a waterfall, honestly. I could name at least five from the top of my head, but I guess I need to wait until I’m finally done with my scholar education. Goodness, I’m so looking forward to finally be able to spend all day writing. (I’d be really pissed, if writer’s block decided to visit me just then :D)

Best of luck to all of you!
    Greetings

AngelinaK52
    Participant

We do need to be cheerleaders, but we also have to be careful in how we say it. Since no one here is an expert at writing novels we have to do our best not to trample on someone’s dream. New writers especially are vulnerable and sensitive to criticism. We could be their very first readers.

The part about saying stop the endless description is a good start, although you could have said you felt there was too much description. But I’m nip picking there and apologize. Show a reason to care about the protagonist is perfect. That’s always a main focus and many of us have problems in this area.

And of course to the original OP, let’s make sure to post writing for review in the appropriate area.

Anonymous

Working hard on my end.

Anonymous

well I posted a story “Woman Within” under My Story but I don’t think anyone has ever read it. Am I missing something?

AngelinaK52
    Participant

The “My Story” section is not used anymore. It was once a place for writing prompts. Would you like me to move it to the critique section?

cypher
    Participant

Why not? And, while you are at it, how about removing ’90 years of WD’?

Anonymous

I’ll check on Word again.

Anonymous

My writing has been put on hold unfortunately due to some health issues. Hopefully I can get it all together so I can get back to what I love doing ‘write’. But for now I can at least read everyone else’s post and maybe post once in awhile when I can. Hope everyone else is doing well. 🙂

Anonymous

Get well soon, Roda Havet. As for me, I think I figured out why Word malfunctions when it tries to save.

Anonymous

Currently arguing with MS Office as to why it refuses to run any of the bits I need for uni on my home laptop and PC, meaning numerous trips to the uni library to use the computers there which MS Office seems to like. I would utilise MS Office online, but that leads to procrastination…
    Outside of that, just playing around with ideas.

Anonymous

Since my first post here I had my debut novel published and a second is going to the book stores next month. I’m currently trying to develop another story, different from my previous two, but this time it seems that the words don’t want to cooperate.
    Meanwhile I got part of my first novel translated in English and tried to get an agent but to no avail. It lowers the moral to the point of asking if it really worth it.

Anonymous

Congratulations. If the words dont work for a new story then why not do another story like the ones where they did cooperate.
    If the goal is money we would save time and angst just buying a lottery ticket. Otherwise do it because you want to and accept whatever results you get.
    There are many agents. Keep trying. Or consider self publication. If you have good sales then it will be easier to find an agent or publisher for the translation.

Anonymous
    samotnik wrote:
    Since my first post here I had my debut novel published and a second is going to the book stores next month. I’m currently trying to develop another story, different from my previous two, but this time it seems that the words don’t want to cooperate.
    Meanwhile I got part of my first novel translated in English and tried to get an agent but to no avail. It lowers the moral to the point of asking if it really worth it.

Part of the life of a writer is having a VERY thick skin. I think Harry Potter was rejected 24 times. If I recall correctly.

It’s up to you whether this is “worth it.” But every writer has had that moment of doubt.

Anonymous

It’s going great on my end. I’m about to wrap up for the night.

cypher
    Participant

I’ve just been invited to write another story for the British Interplanetary Society. Very honored.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

That’s awesome Dorothy. Congrats.

Anonymous

Thanks for the support, it is just one of those moments. Of course I will keep writing, some things you just can’t stop, you can only adjust your story to the way you feel.

clareantoinette
    Participant
    Oldtimer wrote:
    I’ve just been invited to write another story for the British Interplanetary Society. Very honored.

Congratulations, Oldtimer. That’s really cool that you get to be involved in this again. 🙂

cypher
    Participant

Thank you, updog and Terry. I’m chuffed. 😀

Anonymous

Still going great.

GidgetLindley8
    Participant

I have hit a road block, but hopefully I will be writing again soon.

Anonymous

Starting Nano project

Anonymous

Oldtimer wrote:
    > I’ve just been invited to write another story for the British
    > Interplanetary Society. Very honored.

WooHoo, Dorothy! Great news. Congratulations!

Anonymous

Great. I got caught up on Saturday and now I’m working on the new chapter.

Anonymous

Noizchild wrote:
    > Great. I got caught up on Saturday and now I’m working on the new chapter.

You are so far ahead of me, I’ll never catch up. Good news though I just wrote an awesome chapter! :mrgreen:

Anonymous

Going good again. I will stay on task today.

Anonymous

I’m still trying to get back to writing. 🙂

Anonymous

I’m editing my book, while I currently have another book idea hitting my head. I just want to write. ;(

Anonymous

Great and still writing.

klhgxsij26
    Participant

T.A.Rodgers wrote:
    Anyway, what is everyone currently working on or in my case trying to work
    > on?
    > Is anyone currently querying?
    > Is anyone almost done a novel?
    > Is anyone staring at a blank page and wondering what to write?

New Year, new “me,” as the cliche goes.

I’ve began a writing project many months ago with the hope that it would turn into a novel. I’ve got about two chapters in. Writing a novel was much harder than I imagined, so I thought it’d be best to temporarily put that project on hold. I decided to focus on short stories instead, by way of Edgar Allan Poe, except I don’t do poetry. 🙂

Anonymous

Really well. I am about to be done with a series this week.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

I’ve set my goal to be done the rewrite of my latest novel by end of March and then off to the editor.

I hope everyone has a very successful 2018.

Anonymous

Three more chapters to go.

jmurph65641
    Participant

About 20000 ish words or 4 chapters so far. I have my ending wrapped up and my beginning. Working on the middle parts now. Though I’ve stalled because I let something get to me.

Anonymous

Really good. I got Word to behave again.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.