How Many Forum Members Does It Take

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Take it Outside! How Many Forum Members Does It Take

This topic contains 49 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce 9 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Bruce
    Participant

How Many Forum Members Does It Take To Change a Lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post it has been changed.

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs AND how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs.

7 more to point out spelling & grammar errors in posts.

3 to repost with spelling/grammar corrections.

6 to argue over whether it’s “lightbulb” or “light bulb”.

Another 6 to condemn those six arguments as stupid.

15 to claim experience in the lighting industry AND give the correct spelling.

19 to post that this group is not about light bulbs AND to please take the discussion to a lightbulb (or light bulb) forum.

11 to defend the posting to the group, saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this group.

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.

7 to post URLs where one can see examples of different light bulbs.

4 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly AND then post the corrected URL.

3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add “Me too”.

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

4 to say “didn’t we go through this already a short time ago?”

13 to say “do a Google search on light bulbs before posting ?s about light bulbs.”

3 to tell a funny story about their cat and a light bulb.

AND

1 group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now with something unrelated and start it all over again.

Now ain’t that the truth 🙂

Elizabeth

PS A friend sent this to me.

Bruce
    Participant

Michael J. Bugeja
    Participant

Elibet – 2007-10-12 9:53 AM

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs AND how the light bulb could have been changed differently.

19 to post that this group is not about light bulbs AND to please take the discussion to a lightbulb (or light bulb) forum.

11 to defend the posting to the group, saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this group.

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.

4 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly AND then post the corrected URL.

3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group.

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add “Me too”.

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy.

13 to say “do a Google search on light bulbs before posting ?s about light bulbs.”

AND

1 group lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now with something unrelated and start it all over again.

Elizabeth

Me too.  Oh wait…that comes later.  lol.

j1midnight
    Participant

Great. Now let me share a similar experience…..

This was really cute and so pathetically true.

strifewriter
    Participant

This one time, I was changing a light bulb, and my cat…

Oh, never mind.

The real question is, who among us will be geeky/bored enough to be the first to actually add up all those numbers and post the total. I know it won’t be me, I’ve got a Ph.D. – that’s academic ego bolstering for “I forgot how to add a long time ago.”

AYURCLAIRE
    Participant

I used a calculator.

But this post doesn’t factor in all the previous people that posted and want to keep being part of the discussion and they all argue about it anyway.

Man, this was funny. I liked it a lot. Especically the five who refuse to post again because of the controversy.

And it’s light bulb. Two words. 🙂

ooorvdru
    Participant

It’s lightbulb 😉

cypher
    Participant

Do you want to hear a true funny story about a light bulb? Sorry, but you’re going to, anyway.

In England, ordinary light bulbs don’t screw in. They are bayonet-capped. You push them up into the holder, turn to the right and, voila, the thing is in place.

Shortly after I arrived in the USA, a light bulb blew in the dining room. My daughter was occupied in another room, so I tried to be helpful. I grabbed a replacement from the cupboard, laid it on the table without taking it from its wrapping, and stood on the table to reach the dead bulb (I’m only 4’10” tall). It was in a small fitting, flush with the ceiling.

No amount of pushing upwards and turning would shift that bulb.

“It won’t come out!” I shouted to my daughter, still occupied elsewhere.

“Oh, here you have to unscrew them,” floated down her reply.

So I tried unscrewing. Boy, that light was in tight, but I persevered.

And the whole light fitting fell down on me.

HDTV16
    Participant

I guess I’ll set-up an Outlook reminder for April 12, 2008 so I can be the 1 lurker.

To share a related story:

About nine years ago, while working for a public accounting firm, I was part of a team who flew out to Pheonix to perform an audit on an Indian Reservation just south of Tucsan.  On the way back, we had to fill up the rental with gas.  After we stopped at a convenience store, three CPAs stepped out and stood by the gas pump.  When they returned, I remarked, “Well, I guess we just answered the question of how many auditors it takes to fill up a tank of gas.”  They didn’t talk much to me on the return flight.

Jen
    Participant

If you replaced your common lightbulb with flourescents, the frequency of changing them would be greatly reduced, almost to the point of making the issue moot.  Not to mention the cost savings you’d experience on your electric bill, which will soon offset the greater initial investment.  Your ROI (return on investment) is expected to be approximately 3.75 years, dependant on rate of usage and whether you buy the new style bulbs in bulk or on sale.

dan

Linda
    Participant

While being sad but true I think google searching everything has a certain niave charm.

‘An electric light in which a filament is heated to incandescence by an electric current.’

I’m sure there are more than thirteen of us though.

strifewriter
    Participant

camper – 2007-10-15 7:45 AM

If you replaced your common lightbulb with flourescents, the frequency of changing them would be greatly reduced, almost to the point of making the issue moot. Not to mention the cost savings you’d experience on your electric bill, which will soon offset the greater initial investment. Your ROI (return on investment) is expected to be approximately 3.75 years, dependant on rate of usage and whether you buy the new style bulbs in bulk or on sale.

dan

I checked two dictionaries and found that both define the term “bulb” to either explicitly require a filament or to have a tear-drop shape (ignoring definitions from biology). Since compact flourescents don’t have filaments and are more of a squiggly twisted tube than a “tear-drop” can we really call them light “bulbs” ??? Is this like the phrase “dial the phone” even though most phones have buttons – not dials – now-a-days? Will “light bulb” join terms like “dicaphone” and “telegraph” as dated artifacts of our technological past? I write Sci-Fi and I’d hate to have my stories riddled with anachronisms so getting the teminology right is very important.

SEE, this is a VITAL and APROPOS discussion for writers after all 😉

Jen
    Participant

shayd – 2007-10-15 9:28 AM

Since compact flourescents don’t have filaments and are more of a squiggly twisted tube than a “tear-drop” can we really call them light “bulbs” ??? Is this like the phrase “dial the phone” even though most phones have buttons – not dials – now-a-days? Will “light bulb” join terms like “dicaphone” and “telegraph” as dated artifacts of our technological past? I write Sci-Fi and I’d hate to have my stories riddled with anachronisms so getting the teminology right is very important. SEE, this is a VITAL and APROPOS discussion for writers after all 😉

Good question, but I think the only way that the terms will dissapear completely is when the item in question is replaced so fully and completely, that the previous incantation is forgotten. 

I think “light bulb” will stick around a good long while, until there is another item of such monumental difference that the term will become completely invalid.  But even then, some vestige of the terminology will remain.  Though, LED lights will replace even flourescents in everything, so it’s possible that when you are changing the LED Bulb the comment might be shortened to ‘replace the LED’, and you’ll go to the store to buy a new LED.  You might even just ‘replace the light’ instead of light-bulb.

Before Xerox became the main machine for making copies, every type of photocopier in the world used to be called a Xerox machine regardless of brand.  Making copies could have come from either a photocopying machine, mimeograph, or a ditto machine.  To make the difference known (because the copy quality was distinct) people would call a document ‘copy’ if it was not made by a photocopier, and a ‘xerox’ if that was how the intended document was to be copied.  However, since there aren’t any machines that really perform that function anymore, ‘copier’ is the machine and ‘copy’ is assumed to be from that machine.  This term will survivie forever, I think, as now the item is invented there isn’t a way to improve upon it.  Unless you go for object duplication/replication (and in sci-fi, you would) but it would probably have that term ‘copier’ in there somewhere, if you factor in a future where products are being mass marketed even more than they are now. 

“Dictaphone” and “Telegraph” were important and vital items in their times, but they weren’t so widely used as a telephone is now.  And even while phones don’t have a dial anymore, the identifying item of knowing the line is open and available is still called the dial tone, meaning the line is now clear to dial your number.  There is nothing else to really call it, so it has never been replaced to show that buttons supercede the dial itself.

However, with cell phones quickly taking the place of land-lines (the term land-line being relatively new to connote the difference between wired and un-wired phones) a ‘dial tone’ is assumed, and the new test for call placement availability is whether you have a ‘signal’ that will permit you to make the call.  In the future referring to the dial tone will likely go away, to be replaced by ‘signal’.

That’s why I have a hard time writing Sci-fi.  Too much to think about, too much to consider, and you’ll almost always be proven wrong.  I tend to trip over details anyway and it would drive me bonkers having to slangify something that doesn’t even exist.

dan

mstephany
    Participant

Technically they are lamps not light bulbs or lightbulbs. How many times must I have to correct you’re mistakes (shaking head). I know this just becouse.

So funny and so true Elizabeth.

Don

paulc
    Participant

Depends. Are we talking ordinary lightbulbs or energy efficient lightbulbs?

Jai

Bruce
    Participant

Roflol 🙂

I honestly never thought for a moment that this would actually start a serious discussion 🙂 Have at it guys.

Elizabeth

cypher
    Participant

What does roflol mean, please? I don’t do texting.

Bruce
    Participant

Rolling on the floor laughing out loud 🙂

ooorvdru
    Participant

Once we start replacing lightbulbs, er, illumination generating glass enclosures, with LEDs then we will have to change the terminology as well. See, lightbulbs, uh IGGCs, are rated in watts whereas when talking about the visibility of LEDs one uses wavelength in nanometers (NM) and MCD which is the intensity of the luminosity. Then we would have to get into that whole transformer theory thing to reduce the voltage to something LEDs can handle. So, once lightbulbs become obsolete and replaced by LEDs we will have to become engineers. Which then makes the question:

How many engineers does it take to replace an LED?

Don’t groan too loud. 😉

strifewriter
    Participant

mcedave – 2007-10-16 1:09 PM

Only one, but you _REALLY_ have to step up the current to get the same luminosity out of a human body and they tend to burn out quickly.

(sorry sick engineering joke, but I couldn’t resist)

mstephany
    Participant

It depends on how long the train is.

Don

myappendixhurts
    Participant

You know, I’ve been away for about a week and my attendance has been spotty for much longer than that, but it is threads like this that will keep me coming back.  Good chuckle this morning.  Thanks all.

–John

ooorvdru
    Participant

Elibet – 2007-10-12 8:53 AM

AND

Elizabeth

[/QUOTE]

Did I ever tell y’all about the time I got locked in the closet while changing a light bulb? :emoticon:

Dee-Marie
    Participant

mcedave – I’m glad you resurrected this thread, so that newcomers like myself could get a good laugh. :emoticon:

ooorvdru
    Participant

Just doing my part to prove that Elizabeth is right 😉

I’m also hoping to pull some of our MIA comedian forumites out of their hiding place. You know who you are – John, Stephen, Karen, Cindy, et al.

mekano46
    Participant

Elizabeth your story and the responses are hysterical. Great way to start the day. :::The light bulb comes on and gives me an idea about blogs:::

kajufa
    Participant

Oh Elizabeth, that is TOO GREAT!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂

denizzlerath
    Participant

By the way, did anyone actually CHANGE the light bulb or are we just being hypothetical? Has anyone done the field research, or is this thread purely speculative?

strifewriter
    Participant

Blueocean – 2008-06-03 7:04 PM

By the way, did anyone actually CHANGE the light bulb or are we just being hypothetical? Has anyone done the field research, or is this thread purely speculative?

My mother makes me change lightbulbs every time I visit her. Sometimes they’re burnt out, other times she just wants me to get them down so she can dust them. I can really appreciate the existential aspects of this thread. Only through personal articulation of being can we rise above humanity’s absurd condition of much suffering and the inevitable, but artificial, need to change lightbulbs.

Shiloh
    Participant

I have a funny story about my cat and a light bulb! And I’m gonna tell it. We didn’t have a table to put my lamp on, or a shade to put on the lamp, so for a while the lamp sat shadeless on the floor. So, it turns out my cat is very fond of the light and she used to sit very close to the lamp just staring at the light. I thought that she’d go blind. Anyway, after we moved and before that lamp got a permanent home on a table somewhere it sat on the floor in the living room near the couch. One night I was asleep on the couch and the cat woke me up because she was running around the house. When I woke up, I saw her sitting next to the lamp (which was not on) staring up at it. Then to my surprise she sat back on her hind legs and put her paws on the base of the bulb. She was trying to turn it on!!! Is my cat a genious or what? And then when she was giving birth, I selfishly (or so I thought) had the lamp on near her so that I could get good video shot of the kittens being born. I think that it actually helped her get through labor, maybe calmed her because the whole time I had it on she just stared at it!

Bruce
    Participant

That’s one cool cat Brittany:)
    Elizabeth

myappendixhurts
    Participant

Except he waited 8 months. 

It was supposed to be 6 months.  SIX MONTHS!

I cannot abide the total disregard for human decency in this Forum anymore.  Please everyone, leave.  The last one out don’t turn out the light because there is a short in the fuse that will cause the light bulb to blow out and I won’t have the requisite number of forum members available to change it.

😉

–John

paulc
    Participant

Don’t turn on the light! I smell gas!

Jai

strifewriter
    Participant

JohnOBX – 2008-06-07 11:58 PM

Except he waited 8 months.

It was supposed to be 6 months. SIX MONTHS!

–John

Now now John, be fair. Maybe the light was out and he couldn’t read the calendar…

denizzlerath
    Participant

I saw a light at the end of a tunnel once. Sadly, it was just the headlamp of a fast approaching train.

myappendixhurts
    Participant

Blueocean – 2008-06-10 10:46 AM I saw a light at the end of a tunnel once. Sadly, it was just the headlamp of a fast approaching train.

With some Agent or Publisher pulling on the whistle chain, no doubt.

–John

denizzlerath
    Participant

JohnOBX – 2008-06-11 8:39 AM

With some Agent or Publisher pulling on the whistle chain, no doubt.

–John

How did you know? They had a cat with them, too. And it was a brand new bulb.

jshashaty
    Participant

Why has there been no mention of a ladder?  Or does everyone just assume the person screwing in the bulb is very tall, or has dragged a sturdy chair down the hall?  Why have I pictured an overhead light, which has a glass cover that must be held by a helper who was busy doing something else when called in a panic when the bulb changer finds he cannot juggle the cover and the bulb and should have lined up his help in advance?   Why haven’t I pictured a table lamp bulb that needs replacing like everyone else evidently did? 

denizzlerath
    Participant

Well, it’s been six more months. Time to bring this one back into play. 🙂

Bruce
    Participant

Okay then, let’s get this thing started. I got me a ladder! Hey! who nicked the light bulbs???

Elizabeth

denizzlerath
    Participant

Well, the question everyone is asking is, How many forum members does it take to change a light bulb? But at this time of year, Has anyone bothered to calculate how many light bulbs need changing? I have a strand of Christmas lights that won’t work. How do I know which one is burnt out? And how many forum members will it take to change each bulb until the bad one is found?

rawpowergirl
    Participant

Elizabeth,

I took this one out. The threaded end is still in there. Do you have needle nose pliers, too?

BlueOcean,

One for each bulb? Have you counted the number of bulbs, yet?

ladygambler
    Participant

Oh I sooooo have to keep this going. Didn’t we have this discussion before. I swear we have had this one before Maybe I’m just going Crazy. Oh wait I am certifiable. Did I make enough speeling and grammer errors for you all to correct. LOL Couldn’t resist.

daysiee
    Participant

Excellent! Light bulbs. I love light bulbs.

Once, when I was much younger and was over at my granddad’s house, he had a really huge, really hot bulb with a plastic covering on it. I knocked the covering on accident, and left it overnight…

The next morning, the lamp had melted a hole through the side of the covering- The plastic had melted and dripped onto the table. Haha, I think the table was permanently damaged.

Another thing about lights- There’s a small chandelier in our dining room (it’s an old house) and I was sitting on the table once when one of the bulbs burned out really loudly above my head. It made me jump.

Wow- those stories were both inspiring and amazing, don’t you agree?

lanabanana
    Participant

Lol-cute.

I made a light bulb explode a week ago…..

SJ :emoticon:

daysiee
    Participant

Sarah Jane – 2008-12-03 1:29 AM

I made a light bulb explode a week ago…..

Wait, let me guess, using your super-amazing telekinetic powers to crush the glass like some sort of crushable insect, and the bulb shattered into a million pieces and scattered all over the world, to be collected at some obscure point in the future and reunited to form the missing artefact- which the assembler then discovered (to their dismay) was a light bulb, and then cast it into the fiery pits of Mordor’s rather large volcano in their rage?

…Yeah, I did the same thing last week, too.

lanabanana
    Participant

Brackets – 2008-12-02 6:53 PM

Sarah Jane – 2008-12-03 1:29 AM I made a light bulb explode a week ago…..

Wait, let me guess, using your super-amazing telekinetic powers to crush the glass like some sort of crushable insect, and the bulb shattered into a million pieces and scattered all over the world, to be collected at some obscure point in the future and reunited to form the missing artefact- which the assembler then discovered (to their dismay) was a light bulb, and then cast it into the fiery pits of Mordor’s rather large volcano in their rage?

Somethin’ like that 😉

SJ 😮

denizzlerath
    Participant

Ladaway, I have 8 strings of 100 bulbs each. We’re going to need more forum members.

ladygambler
    Participant

all we need is for all of us to just post enough to cover all the people that we need. Sorry not making any sense today.

I think I only have 5 working lightbulbs in my house. Sometimes I’m just too lazy to change them. Does anyone want to come over for that. I’ll make it worth your while.

I think I can only afford 10 of you though. What do you all say any takers.

Pretty soon I’ll be working in the dark LOL

Bruce
    Participant

Amanda,
    Have you seen how many forum members we have? Check it out in the statistics. I’d say more than enough to supervise the changing of the light bulbs.
    elizabeth

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.