Hi everyone!

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Introductions Hi everyone!

This topic contains 116 replies, has 50 voices, and was last updated by  -Andy- 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Just wanted to say hi! I’m new to the forum and am hoping to create a career in freelance writing (and maybe one day get a novel published even). I’ve been doing some freelance writing on the topics of fitness as a hobby for the last three years and just a few months ago decided to quit my job and try and do it full time. I’ve been published on some online websites but I’d really like to try and break into print magazines now so I hope to learn lots about the whole process here and become a better writer. I look forward to posting here!

Anonymous

I am new too.

Hello 🙂

Faergen
    Participant

Shannon and Sim, welcome to the “place.” Shannon, you have guts. I don’t quit anything to do anything unless I have something. I was once paid $1500 just to take pictures at a wedding. When the wedding was over, I turned over the film and departed. That’s the first time I gave serious consideration to being just a photographer.

At the next wedding, I turned over the film and was paid $400 ($300 for the wedding and a $100 tip). Why the difference? I felt sorry for the couple because they didn’t have much money. I decided that I’m too soft to do nothing but photography. Glad I kept my day job.

Plus I have a wife who freaks out if I don’t get a paycheck on a routine basis. I tried freelancing writing for a while and was paid well on some jobs (key word is “some”). My wife was constantly stressing over the uncertainty of my income. She was making me nuttier than normal so I got a “real job.”

I wish you the best and hope to see you as a guest on The Tonight Show soon.

Welcome.

Anonymous

Welcome to both of you! Best of luck in your new freelancing career. 🙂 If you do write a novel, what will it be about? What do you like to read?
    Anyway, enjoy the insanity…
    Godspeed,
    Lynne

hohoholly
    Participant

I’m new to the Forum and a little n-n-nervous. Being with the grown-ups, I mean, because I write mostly for children. I’ve had one or two pieces published (even won an honourable mention in a WD contest), but feel I need to grow in my craft as a writer.

Recently, I entered the WD Your Story competition #5, and that proved it. I thought my story was pretty good until I read the top 5 entries posted here on the Forum. They are fabulous!
    Congratulations all you talented writers!

I’m Canadian, living on the southwest coast of B.C., with my husband and little dog, Pepe. My husband writes, too, and edits a newsletter, but as yet Pepe has shown no inclination whatever to put paw to paper.

Happy writing everyone!
    Jowen

revpowell
    Participant

No need to be nervous.  There are people of all walks in here, some experienced, some not.  Congrats on being published.  There is a great children’s writing section here.  I hope you find this place resourceful.-DavidG

hohoholly
    Participant

Many thanks, DavidG, for your welcome and encouragement.

Jowen

kerrywood
    Blocked

Awww…Tell Pepe he can write anytime and we’ll be happy to read it.

Oh Joan, Welcome to you and your little dog too. 🙂

MSFap
    Participant

Welcome!

I don’t know about them, but I definately bite. (( Hence the name.))

Good to have you in the forum. Hope to see some of your stuff up soon!

jfd177
    Participant

Hi Joan

Welcome! I’m pretty new to this site also. Congratulations on getting published. Head on over to the Children’s section. There’s lots of great writing and works in progress to learn from and critique.

Carol

hohoholly
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome, Pat. It’s good to be here.

I don’t think Pepe will be writing anytime soon — he’s more of a reading dog. Sign language. Very smart!

hohoholly
    Participant

Hi Carol.

Nice to meet you. Thanks, I will head over to the children’s section to see what’s happening sometime soon.

Jowen

hohoholly
    Participant

Thanks for the welcome, Linnea.

Wow! A book published. Congratulations! I haven’t attempted to write a book yet. I write mostly middle-grade articles, stories and poems, some of which have been published in children’s magazines. I like writing short pieces — variety being the spice for me, I guess… Or maybe it has something to do with a short attention span!

Yep, we are almost neighbours, although I have never been to northern B.C. or Prince George. My hubby and I are planning to visit Peace River country sometime soon — maybe later in the year.

Joan

Rusholme Ruffian
    Participant

I’m a new writer. Well, new to the publishing world anyway. I’ve been writing for myself since I was in grade school.

Last fall I started a blog and began posting articles that I would write. Less than a month into it, I got a request from an online publisher asking to publish one of my articles. They wouldn’t pay me but they would give me a byline as a guest author and a link to my blog. I thought what the heck, I could use the traffic to my blog. So I let them use the article and I sent them a second one that I thought they might use. Rejected! They said it didn’t fit their audience, but I should send it to one of the publications whose audience it did fit.

So I sent it to a print publication and it was accepted. $64.10 I was paid. So I sent them another article. This one a bit longer. That one netted $190.50 and a comment from the editor that he hopes I’ll write more. Wow, I could write and get paid too! So now I’m learning everything I can about publishing.

I’ve learned to double space manuscripts. I’ve learned the difference between query letters and book proposals. I’ve learned what Writer’s Guidelines are. I’ve taken a workshop class (one of the best things I’ve ever done). But there is so much more to learn.

Which is why I am here.

Rich

wordinaz
    Participant

Rich,

As my grandpa always said, “If you stop learning, you stop living.” There is a section here for just about anything you want to learn about.

Welcome.

Rusholme Ruffian
    Participant

Thanks looneywriter.

Belonging to this forum is already paying off. My first question I posted had some great suggestions from others that had encountered the same issue. Hopefully, I’ll be able to pay back with my own contributions as I get more experience.

Rich

jsz
    Participant

I’ve had two articles published that I got paid for, one in Reminise Mag. Got $75.00 for that one and a small 1965 Chevy. That was 3 years ago. Last year, I had one published in a book, Old Time Christmas, I got $50.00 for that one.

Writer’s are like actors and painters, most of us write for the joy of it.

I haven’t been paid anything this year, but all I’ve had time to enter is contest.

Congratulations to you.

I haven’t been writing but 5 years, can’t spell dog or cat usually, and I sure can’t punctuate. I didn’t think I would ever write but thank God for spell and grammer check on my computer.

freedomwriter
    Participant

As you can see I’m new here. I’ve been writing since I was 13 yrs old and before I leave this miserble dust ball (cough!) I want to write a novel. I’m not quite there yet. Lots to work on. But I’ve never surrendered to my doubt. I WILL BE PUBLISHED!

freedomwriter
    Participant

Bruce
    Participant

Hi Rod, and welcome:)

Good to have you join our merry little band of great writers. Hope you will enjoy your stay and get to know all the usual suspects. They are a great bunch, honest they are 🙂

Welcome,

Elizabeth

GafRoolfpep
    Participant

Rod-

I like your determination! Everyone here will keep you on track. Welcome!

Dorraine Darden- Jack Rabbit Moon
    http://www.dorrainedarden.com

Faerie_spark
    Participant

That’s the spirit.  You go for it.  It could happen!  Oh, I almost forgot, it’s Halloween and there are lots of Spirits about.  Take care.

The eagle guy,

Don

randishaw
    Participant

Hi Rod. I’m new here as well and find these people to be curiously askew. I find that settling.

You’ll have a blast.

Try to keep up!

JJ_79
    Participant

WELCOME!

revpowell
    Participant

Don’t get discouraged.  Its a long hard road to being published.  Keep on track and work on your craft.-DavidG

freedomwriter
    Participant

Update: To date I’ve written 3 novels, but none have been published. I get too confused with grammer. I know the general rules, but when to use [-] or [;] rattles me! I’ve been writing since 13 and I really want to be a professional. I write all the time; stories to help me, or to be published on fanfiction.net for fun — for which there are quite a few under my pen name: Tower of Babel.

Okay, in my last sentence there — did I get the punctuation right? Does the sentence structure work? I don’t get a lot of feedback, so that is crucial to my development as a writer.

mtbarb
    Participant

Hi! I was happy to find this message board. I belong to a couple writing groups, but there has not been much activity there for awhile. I have started writing a book (inspirational, for adults) and have a couple others (children’s) in mind. My biggest problem has been making the time to write. “Getting together” with other writers, here, could be a big boost for me.

My name, by the way, is Barbara. I just decided to use my grandkids’ names (Andrew and Hannah) in my user name, just to be different.

🙂 Barbara

Hudak
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Barbara. The W/D is a wonderful place to get together with other writers. I just know you’ll find many warm and friendly people here.
    I understand about not having enough time. I’m a single parent with a small soap making business so writing time is a treat for me. Way cool profile name by the way *Wink*

GafRoolfpep
    Participant

Hi Barbara,

A most hearty welcome to you! This is a peach of a forum. Glad to have you in our orchard!

Cheers,
    Dorraine Darden, Author of novel, Jack Rabbit Moon

RGuthery
    Participant

Well I have some news I can share. I have not been on this site in a long time but its nice to have roots.
    My partners and I launched our website. “RegimeGuard.Net.’ a few weeks ago but its being built so we took it off the server and are replacing it. Here is a sneak peek at it.

http://www.kdiwebsitedesign.com/rge/index.html

But that is not the only news. My book Regime Guard: 1000 Years of War…will hopefully be released in 2 1/2 months as a limited edition collectors book, individually numbered. The reason for this is so “some lucky people” have a copy before the trade books are released, and the film(s).

I thank you all for letting me share and I will now frequent the board a lot more. Its been about 1 year since I have been here. LOL.

Thanks,

Blessed be Thee

MJ

Colz
    Participant

Hello, my name is Jessica, I’m a 22 year old college student in FLorida. I’m actually majoring (and interning) in technical writing, but I’ve always loved creative writing and have been writing stories my whole life. I’m in the midst of finishing a novel for which I will seek publication (for the first time ever! I sent my very first query letter out just a week or two ago) It’s a really nerve wracking process. And I’ve also found that it’s a lot easier for me to give my work to complete stranger to read, than it is for me to give to my friends or family – I don’t know why, maybe because I care about their opinions more than anyone else’s. Also because they probably inspire some of my characters in some ways. And lastly because I get a tad embarassed, especially when I have elements of romance in my stories. Anyone else feel like this, or am I the only one?

Colz
    Participant

Hello, my name is Jessica, I’m a 22 year old college student in FLorida. I’m actually majoring (and interning) in technical writing, but I’ve always loved creative writing and have been writing stories my whole life. I’m in the midst of finishing a novel for which I will seek publication (for the first time ever! I sent my very first query letter out just a week or two ago) It’s a really nerve wracking process. And I’ve also found that it’s a lot easier for me to give my work to complete stranger to read, than it is for me to give to my friends or family – I don’t know why, maybe because I care about their opinions more than anyone else’s. Also because they probably inspire some of my characters in some ways. And lastly because I get a tad embarassed, especially when I have elements of romance in my stories. Anyone else feel like this, or am I the only one?

Matt
    Participant

Hi Jessica, and welcome! 🙂

I think we get embarrassed for folks we know to read our stuff because maybe we don’t want them to “know” what thoughts circulate inside our minds…LOL..At least that’s how it is for me. 🙂

Matt
    Participant

I think we get embarrassed for folks we know to read our stuff because maybe we don’t want them to “know” what thoughts circulate inside our minds…LOL..At least that’s how it is for me. 🙂

Colz
    Participant

Skipper – 2009-02-09 10:11 AM

Yeah I think that definitely could be part of it. Glad to know I’m not the only one that feels that way! LOL

Colz
    Participant

Skipper – 2009-02-09 10:11 AM

Yeah I think that definitely could be part of it. Glad to know I’m not the only one that feels that way! LOL

CameronTayler
    Participant

Hi Jessica,
    I’m new here myself. I agree about the friend and family thing. I think it is hard to get a good critique from someone you know, at least in my experience. I’ve gotten general feedback, but little specific,  or none at all from the two people that I was pretty sure weren’t going to like my novel anyway based on their personalities.  

One of the reasons I had to comment was to say that my mother also writes and has given me a couple romance novels to critique. You can’t imagine uncomfortable until you’ve had to read erotic scenes that your MOM has written. (I’ve taken to just skipping over them, but shh, don’t tell her that.)

Alli

CameronTayler
    Participant

Hi Jessica,
    I’m new here myself. I agree about the friend and family thing. I think it is hard to get a good critique from someone you know, at least in my experience. I’ve gotten general feedback, but little specific,  or none at all from the two people that I was pretty sure weren’t going to like my novel anyway based on their personalities.  

One of the reasons I had to comment was to say that my mother also writes and has given me a couple romance novels to critique. You can’t imagine uncomfortable until you’ve had to read erotic scenes that your MOM has written. (I’ve taken to just skipping over them, but shh, don’t tell her that.)

Alli

Colz
    Participant

allison500 – 2009-02-09 11:05 AM

Hi Jessica,

Alli

Hi Alli!
    And OMG, I can imagine that would definitely be VERY uncomfortable to read!! LOL.

Colz
    Participant

Hi Jessica,

Alli

Hi Alli!
    And OMG, I can imagine that would definitely be VERY uncomfortable to read!! LOL.

Matt
    Participant

Oh boy, don’t think I could do that!…LOL…

Matt
    Participant

Oh boy, don’t think I could do that!…LOL…

mjwalterich
    Participant

Hi Jessica, I’m new here as well.

My daughter is a Jessica, so you know I love your name! 🙂

I completely agree with you about friends & family reading your work.  I value their opinion as well, so I’m always nervous when they read my stuff.  I didn’t even tell anyone about my blog for a while because I was afraid of what they would say!

But because I value their opinions I have to force myself to let them read, because I know they will give me good feedback.  My mom is especially truthful and I know she will tell me what she really thinks so she can help me polish my stories.

Congratulations on your first novel and good luck with your submissions!  That is so exciting – I hope you’ll keep us all up to date on your progress.

Jenn

mjwalterich
    Participant

Hi Jessica, I’m new here as well.

My daughter is a Jessica, so you know I love your name! 🙂

I completely agree with you about friends & family reading your work.  I value their opinion as well, so I’m always nervous when they read my stuff.  I didn’t even tell anyone about my blog for a while because I was afraid of what they would say!

But because I value their opinions I have to force myself to let them read, because I know they will give me good feedback.  My mom is especially truthful and I know she will tell me what she really thinks so she can help me polish my stories.

Congratulations on your first novel and good luck with your submissions!  That is so exciting – I hope you’ll keep us all up to date on your progress.

Jenn

Colz
    Participant

Thanks, Jenn!

Yes, Jessica is a great name, isn’t it? 🙂 lol

I will definitely keep you guys updated – I’m really excited about this novel and I hope that somewhere down the line someone does agree to take a chance on me and publish it. Getting a book published has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. It’s a nerve wracking process already though, and I’ve only sent out one query so far, so I imagine it’s only going to get worse! LOL

Colz
    Participant

Thanks, Jenn!

Yes, Jessica is a great name, isn’t it? 🙂 lol

I will definitely keep you guys updated – I’m really excited about this novel and I hope that somewhere down the line someone does agree to take a chance on me and publish it. Getting a book published has been a dream of mine for as long as I can remember. It’s a nerve wracking process already though, and I’ve only sent out one query so far, so I imagine it’s only going to get worse! LOL

charliebrown20
    Participant

Hi Jessica,

Alli

Welcome, Jessica!

Alli,

That is hilarious!

My husband recently wrote a Romance short story (not the genre he normally writes in) and his mother, who is ever-supportive of his writing, said she wanted to read it.

I said, “Um.  No you don’t.”  😮

LS

charliebrown20
    Participant

Hi Jessica,

Alli

Welcome, Jessica!

Alli,

That is hilarious!

My husband recently wrote a Romance short story (not the genre he normally writes in) and his mother, who is ever-supportive of his writing, said she wanted to read it.

I said, “Um.  No you don’t.”  😮

LS

gschroer
    Participant

Just wanted to take time to say hi to everyone. I’m a new member on here, so hopefully you guys can bear with me. Trying to give writing a whirl after wanting to for the last twenty years of my life. I’m open for any, and all suggestions! I live in the Southern part of TN on a lake. We refer to it as God’s country since it’s so quiet and twenty minutes from the nearest “big” city. I’ve entered one of the contest on WM, and like I said, I am still trying to figure out what to do next. I’ve got a couple of articles on ehow.com, but I really want to write a column, and hopefully a novel. Good to be here, and I’m sending up smoke signals, so feel free to send me any suggestions! 🙂
    pprgrl

gschroer
    Participant

Just wanted to take time to say hi to everyone. I’m a new member on here, so hopefully you guys can bear with me. Trying to give writing a whirl after wanting to for the last twenty years of my life. I’m open for any, and all suggestions! I live in the Southern part of TN on a lake. We refer to it as God’s country since it’s so quiet and twenty minutes from the nearest “big” city. I’ve entered one of the contest on WM, and like I said, I am still trying to figure out what to do next. I’ve got a couple of articles on ehow.com, but I really want to write a column, and hopefully a novel. Good to be here, and I’m sending up smoke signals, so feel free to send me any suggestions! 🙂
    pprgrl

charliebrown20
    Participant

Welcome, Becky!

The area you live in sounds wonderful.  Do you rent out on occasion?  Just kidding.  😉

Glad to have you among us.  Good luck and happy writing!

LS

charliebrown20
    Participant

Welcome, Becky!

The area you live in sounds wonderful.  Do you rent out on occasion?  Just kidding.  😉

Glad to have you among us.  Good luck and happy writing!

LS

mlghaley
    Participant

Welcome Becky! I live in rural southwest VA, so I’d say we live in the same type environment. It’s wonderful living in such a beautiful area, isn’t it?  What kind of writing do you like to do?

I hope to see you around Writer’s Block Party sometime.  Sit on down and have a brownie!

mlghaley
    Participant

Welcome Becky! I live in rural southwest VA, so I’d say we live in the same type environment. It’s wonderful living in such a beautiful area, isn’t it?  What kind of writing do you like to do?

I hope to see you around Writer’s Block Party sometime.  Sit on down and have a brownie!

gschroer
    Participant

Hi Lexi!
    Glad to hear from you. Right now I’m not renting out, but I’m in the process of doing a re-furb job to a 19×36 building I’ve got here, (it even has a better view of the lake!) so I can get back with you on that!! 😉 It’s the perfect spot to do alot of thinking and writing – now I have no excuse! Keep in touch, and have a wonderful Monday!

gschroer
    Participant

Hi Lexi!
    Glad to hear from you. Right now I’m not renting out, but I’m in the process of doing a re-furb job to a 19×36 building I’ve got here, (it even has a better view of the lake!) so I can get back with you on that!! 😉 It’s the perfect spot to do alot of thinking and writing – now I have no excuse! Keep in touch, and have a wonderful Monday!

gschroer
    Participant

Hello Deanna!
    Glad to hear from you! You are absolutely right about the areas we live. It feels good to know even though I may go to work near the city, when I get home the only sounds we hear are maybe 4-5 cars/trucks a day, the train from tracks across the lake about 5 times a day, an occasional bark of a dog, and a few quacks from the ducks! You are not that far away, but I’ve never been to VA – I’ve heard it’s pretty.
    As far as writing, I like to do fiction. I am wanting to do a mix of fic/non-fic on everyday life – with a lighthearted twist. I’ve been doing some of the how-to spoofs lately, but you just can’t open up and run with those! Like I said, I am open for suggestions, so feel free to let me have it! :emoticon: I also entered the “Your Story” contest on here. First time for me, so I thought I’d give it a shot! Hope you have a great Monday! Take care.

gschroer
    Participant

Hello Deanna!
    Glad to hear from you! You are absolutely right about the areas we live. It feels good to know even though I may go to work near the city, when I get home the only sounds we hear are maybe 4-5 cars/trucks a day, the train from tracks across the lake about 5 times a day, an occasional bark of a dog, and a few quacks from the ducks! You are not that far away, but I’ve never been to VA – I’ve heard it’s pretty.
    As far as writing, I like to do fiction. I am wanting to do a mix of fic/non-fic on everyday life – with a lighthearted twist. I’ve been doing some of the how-to spoofs lately, but you just can’t open up and run with those! Like I said, I am open for suggestions, so feel free to let me have it! :emoticon: I also entered the “Your Story” contest on here. First time for me, so I thought I’d give it a shot! Hope you have a great Monday! Take care.

killykilly79
    Participant

Welcome Becky! Great to have you with us.

GafRoolfpep
    Participant

Hi Becky,

Saw your smoke signals down Texas way. Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you’ve got great inspiration in regards to where you live. Best of luck on the contest and hope to see your posts soon.

Cheers,

GafRoolfpep
    Participant

Hi Becky,

Saw your smoke signals down Texas way. Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you’ve got great inspiration in regards to where you live. Best of luck on the contest and hope to see your posts soon.

Cheers,

killykilly79
    Participant

Hi,

It’s great to have you with us! Welcome to the forums.

gschroer
    Participant

Hi JT,
    Thanks for the welcome! I’ve been a little busy lately, so I haven’t had much time for accomplishments. Taking a few days off next week and I’m hoping to get some free time!
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    Becky

gschroer
    Participant

Hi JT,
    Thanks for the welcome! I’ve been a little busy lately, so I haven’t had much time for accomplishments. Taking a few days off next week and I’m hoping to get some free time!
    Hope you have a great weekend.
    Becky

gschroer
    Participant

Hi Dorraine!
    Thanks for the welcome. You are right. There is plenty of inspiration here, I just wish I had more hours in the day! 😉 Hope you are getting warmer weather there now. We watch what is going on in TX and ARK, and give or take a day, we ususally get it next! Thanks for wishing me luck, and drop me a line of inspiration anytime – it helps!
    Take care!
    Becky

gschroer
    Participant

Hi Dorraine!
    Thanks for the welcome. You are right. There is plenty of inspiration here, I just wish I had more hours in the day! 😉 Hope you are getting warmer weather there now. We watch what is going on in TX and ARK, and give or take a day, we ususally get it next! Thanks for wishing me luck, and drop me a line of inspiration anytime – it helps!
    Take care!
    Becky

KJJWPI
    Participant

Hi, Becky, welcome! I just joined the forums this week, but have been writing since childhood. I can offer you a few suggestions that have worked for me: 1) Devote a set amount of time to writing each day, and stick to it; 2) Read Writers Digest and any other writing resources you come across; 3) Enter the Your Story contest, and use the Writing Prompts in that forum (sounds like you’re already on top of this one!); 4) Start a blog to make people aware of your writing interests. While it takes some time to maintain, I’ve found it has improved my writing immensely because I’m forced to focus on it; and 5) Attend conferences/workshops and join a local writers’ group so you can network with the right people. Best wishes to you, and hope to see you around the forums!
    ~ barefootonthebeach

gschroer
    Participant

Hi Melissa,
    Thanks for the info! I am already on top of the “read everything you get your hands on” stage! 😉 I feel there’s not enough hours in the day, because I work nightshift (a job I hate, but I’m thankful for) and by the time I sleep a few hours each morning, it seems like it’s time to go do it all over again! I get lost in the information that I acquire on the internet about what to check next. I’ve got a few ideas that I’m working on right now, and I just advertised to start doing freelance writing. Hopefully that will eventually eliminate the nightshift and I can focus even more. Thanks for your input, and I will follow your advice on daily writing habit. Drop a line anytime!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

Becky

TreasuerHunter
    Participant

Took me twenty years to start writing too so don’t feel bad. I am also new but not too shy. Welcome. I am using fragments in honor of GrinningBear who loves them.

KJJWPI
    Participant

Hi and welcome, Jessica! Glad you are here! Congrats on being almost finished with your novel and taking that brave step – sending out query letters! I’ve been writing all my life too, love writing short stories. The first book I submit for publication, however, will be nonfiction: a memoir. Let us know what your novel is about, and any tips, advice, or info on the search for an agent/publisher would be MUCH appreciated by all here (you could also post in the Tips & Advice forum or Success Stories) . . . Best wishes! I’ll look for you in Critique Central!
    ~ barefootonthebeach
    P.S. As for your question re: showing work to people, I’ve always had a general fear/anxiety about showing my work to ANYONE. But as I have kept writing and improved my craft, I’ve received positive feedback that has increased my confidence and just about wiped out my fear of rejection!

KJJWPI
    Participant

You’re welcome, Becky! Glad to hear you’re working on some projects, and reading everything you can about the craft and business of writing! I know exactly what you mean about there “not being enough hours in the day!” I guess most of us do! I work part-time teaching, which I love, but sometimes I just can’t wait for the schoolday to be over so I can rush back here to my home office and work on my writing! Because of the crappy economy, I’ve also had to take on some temp jobs to make extra money. So every moment I get to write is precious. That’s great that you’re starting to freelance – that’s what I am doing in addition to my book: trying to break into magazines, particularly health/fitness, inspirational, women’s, and pets. I look forward to that day when my writing will support us! What are your interests as far as mags to target? Or does your freelancing consist of something different? Maybe we can compare notes on markets, when you have time . . . Take care!

Floonsido
    Participant

Lets see…about me, sorry no rhyme intended. First off, I have never been published. I have several works in progress, mostly children’s books. Picture books are my favorite type of children’s book. Which is probably why I have several of those in the works. I am working on an early reader as well.

I also have a strange sense of humor but..oh well, that is what makes me fun. I look forward to chatting with all of you. Must run. Life awaits.

Julie

Floonsido
    Participant

Lets see…about me, sorry no rhyme intended. First off, I have never been published. I have several works in progress, mostly children’s books. Picture books are my favorite type of children’s book. Which is probably why I have several of those in the works. I am working on an early reader as well.

I also have a strange sense of humor but..oh well, that is what makes me fun. I look forward to chatting with all of you. Must run. Life awaits.

Julie

pkubin
    Participant

Welcome! I look forward to reading some of your work!

pkubin
    Participant

Welcome! I look forward to reading some of your work!

charliebrown20
    Participant

Welcome, Julie!

charliebrown20
    Participant

Welcome, Julie!

mlghaley
    Participant

Welcome Julie! It’s nice to have you aboard.

mlghaley
    Participant

Welcome Julie! It’s nice to have you aboard.

KJJWPI
    Participant

Hi, Julie, welcome to the forums! Glad you are here! I don’t know why, but I haven’t met many children’s writers, especially picture book creators. Sounds like fun! You should find all kinds of info here on how to get your books published. I plan on making time in my schedule to be more active on this site, so hope to see you around the forums! Best wishes with your writing journey!
    ~ barefootonthebeach

KJJWPI
    Participant

Hi, Julie, welcome to the forums! Glad you are here! I don’t know why, but I haven’t met many children’s writers, especially picture book creators. Sounds like fun! You should find all kinds of info here on how to get your books published. I plan on making time in my schedule to be more active on this site, so hope to see you around the forums! Best wishes with your writing journey!
    ~ barefootonthebeach

skyedragon1968
    Participant

Hi Julie,

If you’re working on a picture book, I guess that makes you an illustrator as well as a writer. That’s great. My artistic ability leaves a lot to be desired. As the saying goes, I couldn’t draw a straight line. In fact, that’s the reason I gave up on the children’s story I was writing. I knew I would need illustrations. I likewise knew that I was not up to that particular challenge. So, I’m concentrating on my novel instead. As an illustrator/artist, what is your area of expertise? Are you good with frogs and toads? If so, maybe we can work something out. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Floonsido
    Participant

Well, honestly I write the text for picture books. I am not an illustrator. I wish I was as I can see what I would like the books to look like, but alas no talent outside my own head. Thank you all for the warm welcome. It has been awhile since I have been on. I would like to say I have been writing furiously but, I cannot. I work various jobs and am married with children so my time to write is limited.

As to msova’s reply: You do not need to be an illustrator to write children’s books. Check out your local library. Most of the picture books I see have both any illustrator and an author. So, keep writing…..

Floonsido
    Participant

Well, honestly I write the text for picture books. I am not an illustrator. I wish I was as I can see what I would like the books to look like, but alas no talent outside my own head. Thank you all for the warm welcome. It has been awhile since I have been on. I would like to say I have been writing furiously but, I cannot. I work various jobs and am married with children so my time to write is limited.

As to msova’s reply: You do not need to be an illustrator to write children’s books. Check out your local library. Most of the picture books I see have both any illustrator and an author. So, keep writing…..

B.L.Hansen
    Participant

Welcome Julie.

Are you more of a Dr. Suess kinda’ gal, or Where the Wild Things Are? Or maybe neither…

See ya’!

-Ramble

lanabanana
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Julie! 😉

lanabanana
    Participant

Welcome to the forum Julie! 😉

Floonsido
    Participant

I am a whatever leaks out of my head kind of writer. Sometimes the stories are about dogs who can’t knit, or ducks who want to dance in Swan Lake. There are even beetles who desperately want to get to the third floor of the library. As you can see I have many strange things leak out of my head.

Thank you again all for the welcome.

killykilly79
    Participant

Welcome to the forum!

mrshosh
    Participant

I hope everyone’s day is going well. I’m new to the Writer’s Digest forum’s but I’m so excited to be a member. I elated to find a site that has so much information for both new and experienced writers. I’ve always loved the art of writing, the process of putting words together to form a picture in your mind. I have started work on three different novels and ideas for three more in my head. I haven’t been putting in the effort that I need to, but thats changing as of now. Being a writer is something that I want to spend my life doing because its the only thing that feels good to me. Thats why I’m so exicted to be apart of the community and I’m anxious to learn from everyone. 😉

lanabanana
    Participant

Welcome!

charliebrown20
    Participant

Welcome!

charliebrown20
    Participant

Welcome!

Sestapactisse
    Participant

I’m Marsha and I just turned 36..married, mom of 2 kids.

I used to write every spare moment I had in my teens and then came…real life. Once the babies showed up, I pretty much stopped and then, I found NaNoWriMo! It rekindled my creative fire. This was my fifth year and my fifth win.

My hubby got me a cute little laptop for my birthday with the statement that now I have no excuse not to pursue my writing. So, here I am! Eager to learn and see if I can grow and improve. The first lesson I must learn is not to procrastinate. I’m afraid I’ve taken to to an art form. 😮

This looks like my kind of place.

Sestapactisse
    Participant

I’m Marsha and I just turned 36..married, mom of 2 kids.

I used to write every spare moment I had in my teens and then came…real life. Once the babies showed up, I pretty much stopped and then, I found NaNoWriMo! It rekindled my creative fire. This was my fifth year and my fifth win.

My hubby got me a cute little laptop for my birthday with the statement that now I have no excuse not to pursue my writing. So, here I am! Eager to learn and see if I can grow and improve. The first lesson I must learn is not to procrastinate. I’m afraid I’ve taken to to an art form. 😮

This looks like my kind of place.

PBBWriter
    Participant

Hi and welcome!

I’m Kelly and there is a great place in the SF/F forum for people like you and me, it’s call The Procrastination Station. Feel free to click in and say hi, they are a fun group of people! :emoticon:

Five nano wins is AWESOME! This was my first nano year – just barely made it! Now comes the fun part, right? Editing, heh! Yeah, that’ll probably take me to next Nov 1, tee hee! 😀

Well, now that you have no more excuses, what do you like to write? Me, pretty much whatever comes to mind, heh heh! Everyone here is really great at bringing out the best in our writing, I’ve had some great experiences that have really helped me tune up my skills. I hope you have the same! 🙂

Edward
    Participant

Hi Marsha. Welcome to the forums.

Navybluesky7
    Participant

Hey, Marsha. Nice to have you aboard. We are all here for the same reason, we have a passion for writing.

Never use not having a computer for an excuse. I wrote my first non-fiction book in 2003 on yellow legal pads; I didn’t have a computer. Now I have a netbook, a laptop, and I looking at a desktop. They look really cool next to my 1930’s Remington typewriter. 😉

You’ll find fun, friendly people, always willing to help, so just jump in and have a great time. :emoticon:

Sestapactisse
    Participant

I forget who said what so I’ll just answer everything I can remember.

Procrastination Station, sounds like a new second home. Until next NaNo that is.

Writing long hand…no can do I’m afraid. I have a repetitive motion injury in my hand/wrist caused by…you guessed it – too much writing long hand. I was in high school when it started. It hurts terribly after only a couple of lines. With the typing, I only use one finger on that hand, so it keeps it from twisting or bending, and it acts up far less. I’ll take it.

So far I’m forcing myself to do some editing on last year’s NaNo. This year was a tough one. I was sicker than I had ever been, and I kept adding new sub plots because I was bored. I think that one may work better as several different stories.

As for what I like… I used to do poetry, but that became dull. I love horror, but I just don’t seem to have a knack for it. Over the last 5 Nanos I’ve discovered that I can’t stay away from the detective story, so I guess I’m meant to be a crime or mystery writer. That cool, I can live with that.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I think I’ll haunt the forums for a while and get familiar with everything.

Navybluesky7
    Participant

Marsha, I prefer to write long hand, even though I have had to resort to a voice activate recorder. I have degenerative joint disease in my neck, which makes my hands and arms go numb when I use a computer for any length of time. I working on getting a new computer and voice recognition software. Then, there’ll be no stopping me. But, at least when I write long hand, I can usually get more done than on the computer.

I do a lot of research in my writing; three non-fiction books on Egyptian magic and my first novel, a historical mystery set in ancient Egypt. I’ve been a researcher of ancient civilisations for over ten years, so I figured I would “write what I know.” And, I write poetry from time to time.

Hope to hear from you again on the forums. I’ll be interested to hear what you’re working on. :emoticon:

Sestapactisse
    Participant

Right now, I’m trying to make myself actually finish the revision stage of one of my novels. I have to speak rather firmly to myself quite often. I’m really good at project hopping. It’s a bod habit I’m trying hard to overcome.
    Arizona, huh? I’m kind of jealous right now…it’s cold up here in my neck of the woods. I really shouldn’t complain. We have no snow yet… not a bad thing. I would not want to anger mother nature. She might just decide to send us a blizzard.

Navybluesky7
    Participant

Marsha, from “Manchesta” I’m from “Worcesta” MA originally. I know what the weather is like this time of year. Cold, dark, damp. You have my sympathies and I won’t rub it in about how nice it was here today.

Hope to see you on the forums. I’d love to hear about what you’re writing. I have my third non-fiction book coming out in July 2011. I have a novel (my first) that I’m shopping around, as well as a short story.

I didn’t start writing til I was 46, so you have the jump on me. Keep it up and silence that inner critic or inner procrastinator. Sometimes tequila helps (just kidding)!!! Believe me, it’s well worth it. :emoticon:

mr-slugs
    Participant

Hi, I am Theresa – and I just found this website – even though I have subscribed to Writer’s digest and Writers for at least twenty years – am going for an English Writing BA – after five children -but sure hope to publish -short stories I’ve written plus poetry and am going to start a novel – always thought I couldn’t do it – the idea has been constant in my mind for many years time to stop procrastination – school is out -so I have time
    Have a great Christmas everyone –

Amerosteoto
    Participant

I just joined WD a few days ago and I’m so glad I did. Great resource, answered so many of my questions.

I’ve been writing for a few years now, mostly sketches and short stories, and made  a few attempts at full length plays.

I would really like to focus on the craft more, and be able to create intriguing, meaningful pieces.

homeground
    Participant

Hey, Viktoria!
    Welcome to the madness. You are absolutely right! This place is a gold mine of knowledge. Feel free to submit something for critique.

Write right, aspire to inspire!!

Viesalescuepe
    Participant

Hey everyone, I’m new (obviously) and excited to find a site full of fellow writers. I’ve heard great things about this forum and can’t wait to start learning from all you pros!

I usually write YA or MG and lean towards thriller/conspiracy sometimes with a bit of science fiction or supernatural elements. I have a completed YA manuscript and a romance novella, but have yet to send out a query. . . I know I need to have thicker skin, especially in this industry, but the rejection letters are going to kill me!!

Tootles,
    K.V. Briar

jwoolsty
    Participant

I haven’t the pleasure of receiving any rejection letters yet. I’m about to send off my first short story for consideration, and I signed up to Writer’s Market for prospective magazines and contests.

homeground
    Participant

Hey, K. V.!
    Welcome to the madness. Just so you know, everyone here has a stack of rejection letters. It’s all part of the process. If you want to improve your chances for success, post your query letter in the query critique section and we’ll give it a look-see.

Write right, aspire to inspire!!

Mirabellazoko
    Participant

Hey…new here too ! I am very happy to meet you and hope that we can share each others talents. I tend to love poetry and more realistic writing, but I love to read a good thriller. Takes all kinds of writing! Glad to see other new folks here too!

-Andy-
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

My name is Kevin. 

I love Writer’s Digest, so I am glad to be a part of this forum!

batswrews
    Participant

Welcome Kevin. Looking forward to your posts.

-Andy-
    Participant

Thank you, Rosebud.

Ingepeneilant
    Participant

My teacher introduced me to this site and I just wanted to introduce myself! I’m looking forward to practicing my writing and posting what I’ve come up with on here. Please, if you have any tips, I’m open to them!

Lomoallomslab
    Participant

Welcome to the forum. Cool screen name. Feel free to ask lots of questions.

batswrews
    Participant

Hello Mandy!
    Always glad to meet an aspiring author, especially one who shares the name of one of my characters.
    You must have a very smart teacher. Can’t help wondering if she’s reading this greeting. 🙂
    Rosalie

bootsuggsalecheap
    Participant

Welcome Mandy! I’m new here myself, and I’m having fun already! I love your username, it’s so catchy! 🙂

-Andy-
    Participant

You have a wise teacher!

Great to have you here in the forum.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.