Happiness? Or Peace?

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Happiness? Or Peace?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  khwybebm50 1 month ago.

• Author

timeradrake
    Participant

So I’ve been struggling with a work for a long time. I haven’t been happy with the way it gets to the end. I think it falls flat. But not just the ending. In the last third of the work, I feel like my characters have lost track of their journey.

Basically, I faked it. It doesn’t seem to fit with how they got to where they are. Two tropes have come to mind for a direction to try.

A moment of perfect peace.

A moment of perfect happiness.

Now, the tropes have been done so much, I get that. I’ll work on that.

But… in your opinion, are these two very close in meaning, or are they significantly different?

I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I’m curious to see what others think.

Anonymous

JMO – but I think they’re two different things. There are people (myself included, I think) for whom peace is never perfect. Peace infers no challenges. Life without challenge is dull, boring – aggravating, quite frankly. One doesn’t have to be an ‘adrenaline junkie’ to want some excitement, some ‘action’ in your life.

On the other hand, I don’t think there’s such a thing as “perfect” happiness – but there is happiness in finding self-worth, self-confidence, beating those challenges (or at least, knowing you gave them your best shot).

Let’s face it – if people were happy with a peaceful life, they wouldn’t read books, or go to movies, or do any of the things that take them away from their own real lives.

Anonymous

The Buddha would say that happiness is a pursuit and so, it would be a form of suffering because you are longing for this thing, this state. The goal for Buddha consciousness is by being in a place where you are always living in the moment, understanding the present of every second you are in, that is the elimination of suffering. To eliminate all suffering might be considered that eternal peace for which you are striving. Peace could be interpreted as concern for neither the past or the future but for living in every moment of everyday.

urworstnitemare
    Participant

I would take out the word “perfect” from both.

For me . . .
    ‘A moment of peace’ – this is when I experience a sense of total calm. My breathing is restful, my mind is clear, I am in the moment, I feel grounded to the earth. It comes upon me quietly, without an introduction. In this moment I know in my heart not all is well and will never be and that this particular moment of peace will move along but while I am in it, while I am experiencing a sense of togetherness with my self, I also know all will be as it will be, and I will be strong enough to go along.

‘A moment of happiness’ – this is fleeting. This is seeing my grandson finally riding without training wheels, turning the corner and not falling. This is when I put words together that I love. This is when I read a passage from a story that makes me cry or makes my skin tingle. This is when I have a cup of coffee in the morning while listening to the birds sing. This is when I think of those in my life who I love. This is when I realize my simple, unadventurous, quiet life is what I need.

Anonymous

Thanks, all.

These are super-common tropes, perhaps cliches. I don’t want to use them that way.

So I’m not sure that I’m going to use them at all. But you’ve helped me assure myself that my thoughts on these two ideas aren’t way out in the proverbial left field.

Thank you for that.

margery65w
    Participant

robjvargas wrote:
    > So I’ve been struggling with a work for a long time. I haven’t been happy
    > with the way it gets to the end. I think it falls flat. But not just the
    > ending. In the last third of the work, I feel like my characters have lost
    > track of their journey.
    >
    > Basically, I faked it. It doesn’t seem to fit with how they got to where
    > they are. Two tropes have come to mind for a direction to try.
    >
    > A moment of perfect peace.
    >
    > A moment of perfect happiness.
    >
    > Now, the tropes have been done so much, I get that. I’ll work on that.
    >
    > But… in your opinion, are these two very close in meaning, or are they
    > significantly different?
    >
    > I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I’m curious to see what others
    > think.

I suspect peace and happiness overlap somewhat but are not identical.
    The difference IMHO is significant if not large.

Would it work to write the perfect ending first?
    Then find a path to it from somewhere in the story you wrote already.

Of course you would lose some of what you did write.
    As an analogy, think of that as scenes the director cut when making the final movie for distribution.

khwybebm50
    Participant

robjvargas wrote:
    > So I’ve been struggling with a work for a long time. I haven’t been happy
    > with the way it gets to the end. I think it falls flat. But not just the
    > ending. In the last third of the work, I feel like my characters have lost
    > track of their journey.
    >
    > Basically, I faked it. It doesn’t seem to fit with how they got to where
    > they are. Two tropes have come to mind for a direction to try.
    >
    > A moment of perfect peace.
    >
    > A moment of perfect happiness.
    >
    > Now, the tropes have been done so much, I get that. I’ll work on that.
    >
    > But… in your opinion, are these two very close in meaning, or are they
    > significantly different?
    >
    > I have my own thoughts on the matter, but I’m curious to see what others
    > think.

I agree with what Ostarella said in the beginning, about happiness & peace being two different things. Just my .0002 to add to it that peace tends to have more of a quite consistency to it, yet it’s nore understated than happiness. And from my own experiences, having a certain amount of peace, consistently, enables me to enjoy more fully the ebb & flow of those moments or situations of happiness & be ok with said ebb & flow. One without a fair balance of the other, IMO, is ike a S’more with either the marshmallow or the chocolate missing. Peace, happiness, and food 😆

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.