Genre vs. Category. Is this correct?

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Genre vs. Category. Is this correct?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 2 months ago.

• Author

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Genre vs. Category
    by bookishpixie
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH9JJmG0JWU

The above video explains the difference between genre and category.

Does anyone know if this is correct? :geek:

Anonymous

Hmm. Quick comment: hope she talked slower than the closed captioning indicated 😉

So, more seriously, I think she was saying that categories are basically the target audience, versus genre which describes the type of story it is. So mystery (genre); Nancy Drew (middle grade category), Agatha Christie (adult category).

???

sherryherrod263
    Participant

I agree with with ostarella’s understanding of the presentation, but not with the conclusion in the presentation – that many writers are confused by the terms or that is an important issue.

According to Merriam-Webster, GENRE is “a category of … literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content.”, and is a relatively stable and limited list. Take Romance as an example: All romance novels have things in common, the essence of a category, so one might logically conclude that “category” is a synonym for “genre” (and it is 😆 ).

However, since the markets discussed in the video are not “literary compositions”, they cannot be genres.

Conclusion: all genres are categories, but not all categories are genres. Yes, there is a difference, but could it be that, when writing a novel, differentiating between the two terms is nothing more than a tempest in a tiny teapot?

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Thanks for the replies ostarella and MikePhillip. 🙂

Anonymous

I’ll check it out later.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Noizchild. 🙂

Anonymous

You’re welcome.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.