Forums Under Construction: Downtime Planned

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Forums Under Construction: Downtime Planned

This topic contains 51 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Vargas 1 day, 19 hours ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hello all!

Good news. We’re going to be working on the forums over the next couple of days, which should help with our spam issues and make the forums more functional. As a result, the forums may be down for a while—perhaps a day or two, perhaps for a couple of hours—while they’re being migrated.

Thank you for your patience through this process.

Jess

AngelinaK52
    Participant

Thank you Jess for spearheading this upgrade.

yellowducky
      Participant

FINALLY someone who is watching this forum and is sure that the change isnt going to end the whole forum 😀 coz WE love this forum 🙂

Anonymous

FINALLY!

Thank you!

margery65w
    Participant

Jess Zafarris wrote:
    > Hello all!
    >
    > Good news. We’re going to be working on the forums over the next couple of
    > days, …
    >
    > Thank you for your patience through this process.

Thanks for the heads up.

Can you tell us any details about the changes?

What is the new software that will be used?
    Any other changes being made too ?

timeradrake
    Participant

eagerly anticipating the rebirth. 🙂

Jess Zafarris
    Keymaster

And we’re back! Please take a look around. We purged a LOT of spam, and in the process, a few older replies may have been purged as well. Unfortunately, we may not be able to recover replies that were purged in this process.

Stay tuned for other updates later this year.

Thanks!

Jess

noobienieuw
      Participant

Thanks! At last the forum is back and fixed!

It works a bit differently, but we will figure it out as it is somewhat like the old look and feel. Maybe its the different font I am seeing.

A few threads seem to be harder to find but we will generate new ones now that things are fixed.

Again a BIG thank you to Jess for her efforts.

noobienieuw
    Participant

PS
    Not sure how to edit. Maybe that is time limited.

I notice a number of names got changed, and some are now anonymous, but I suspect that when new posts by them are done that the names will be correct again. EG I think I see margery65w being attributed to some of my old posts but now I see my correct screen name of noobienieuw.

Not sure if the jump to last one read feature will come back. If not then I hope the threads could be made to show latest posts first not make us scroll through hundreds to get to the end.

Still getting some random 503s. That might be my slow wifi. I hope its not the WD servers having problems.

Whatever, still a great job by Jess!!

Jess Zafarris
    Keymaster

That username/attribution problem should resolve itself over time, along with a few other inconsistencies and glitches, but I’ll add it to my watch list. Please post any other issues here.

noobienieuw
      Participant

However it plays out it is a definite improvement !

noobienieuw
      Participant

Not a bug but old features I would like to see come back:
      (And maybe that is already planned for later in the year)

A what is new icon to show most recent posts.
      And a jump to most recent post in a thread.
      Search for posts by user name.
      Search in general for topic or keywords.

I am sure the other folks will have some ideas too when they realise that the forums are back and working again and have a chance to see it up close and personal.

elessarswife
    Participant

Hello! Hi, my username is Elessarswife for this site and I submitted a chapter a few weeks back. I checked a few times but couldn’t locate it until today but it’s listed under a different handle name:joebros6? I’m not sure how that happened but is there a way to correct this? Also, I haven’t had any responses to it. Is it too long? If there’s anything you can suggest, it would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get back into the swing of things on this website- I’m a bit rusty. 🙂

noobienieuw
      Participant

I can not log in…..again.
      Terry Rodgers

That seems like a contradiction:)

Not even sure how I’m posting. I think this is an old account.

Not sure what they did to try to clean things up. I keep a logbook with all names and passwords by the PC to avoid problems like that

Is the site supposed to be attached to the Writer’s Digest site?

I believe that it is connected with WD. I go to the WD home and then click on community and then forum to get here.

————–

Apparently reply does not quote or link to the message replied to.
      I suggest that feature be added in the future.

ostarella
    Participant

If the spam is gone, that’s a vast and GREAT improvement. I really do hope, however, that the old formatting is brought back – navigation is very difficult. Plus I hope that captcha thing is required for every post… But the main site still says “under construction” so…

I know – beggars and choosers 😉

T. A. Rodgers
    Senior Moderator

I can not log in…..again.

T. A. Rodgers
    Senior Moderator

Not even sure how I’m posting. I think this is an old account. I have so many that stopped working, I forget which one was my current. Does anyone remember? lol

Is the site supposed to be attached to the Writer’s Digest site?

noobienieuw
      Participant

Hello! Hi, my username is Elessarswife for this site and I submitted a chapter a few weeks back. I checked a few times but couldn’t locate it until today but it’s listed under a different handle name:joebros6?

I’m not sure how that happened but is there a way to correct this?

Also, I haven’t had any responses to it. Is it too long? If there’s anything you can suggest, it would be greatly appreciated. I really need to get back into the swing of things on this website- I’m a bit rusty. 🙂
      ————————

The site was down for a few days for maintenance. Some fixes did change a few recent items.
      And a few names got scrambled when you look at old posts. New posts work okay.

I suggest you resubmit your chapter.

elessarswife
      Participant

Hi. It’s still showing under joebros06 username, though. Should I wait until username issue is resolved prior to resubmission? Thanks.

wdarcy
    Participant

Glad the site has been renovated, but I do hope the old formatting, or something close to it, will be brought back.

–Warren

Jess Zafarris
    Keymaster

Thanks for your input and patience, everyone! Yes, things are a bit simpler with this new plugin. Our first priority was functionality and dealing with all of the spam. When we look at reskinning the site with a new design later this year, we’ll work on tools and features for the forums as well. The CAPTCHA helps prevent the influx of spam, but I’ll see if there’s anything we can do to keep it from getting in regitered users’ way.

One thing that we do need to address is that some past comments and posts appear to be attributed to the wrong usernames now. Admittedly, that one is a head-scratcher, but I’ve alerted the dev team.

Oldtimerm
      Participant

Thank you, Jess. I posted this morning, thanking you in a different place, but am blessed if I can find that post now!

Anyway, all I said was I’m glad to be back and hope we will all find entertaining topics to discuss. 🙂

Oldtimer

noobienieuw
    Participant

Bad bugs lurking?!

I just posted 3 replies and none of them showed up.

It worked for one reply in another thread.

Not sure why they failed in this one this recent attempt.

Go figure after I posted this message the replies did show up.

Timing problems? Failure to post until a regular message is posted??
    Just one of those computer mysteries??

Jess Zafarris
    Keymaster

Still having some issues here and there.

Need a little info: Could someone tell me if their post history is correct? Terry’s past posts are appearing under the wrong username, and so are a few other people’s. Does anyone have the correct username associated with their past posts?

noobienieuw
      Participant

I have not yet found my post history.

Current posts are accurately named.
      But 3 previous posts are not currently showing.

I wonder if they will show up again after I make this reply like they did before when they went missing.

I did see a current Ostarella post when I got to the site tonight but all I find is the more recent one from Jess.

Not sure what is happening but we do seem to have some growing pains with this new version.

noobienieuw
    Participant

THE SPAM IS BACK. TWO BLATANT SALES ADS BY NEW POSTERS.
    More than any recent real posts in the last day.

We need a way to flag the posts and those users.

updog
    Participant

I’m still trying to figure out how to navigate through this place and am mostly just posting to see if it works. From what I can tell my old posts are attributed to a user named “ClareAntoinette”.

~updog

wdarcy
    Participant

My current posts show up under my user name, but my earlier posts are attributed to a really weird user name I can’t remember.

Hope this gets fixed!

–Warren

Rob Vargas

@jess-zafarris:
    Since my post history is spread across several usernames due to the login problems, I’m not sure what my post count is. I know that this username, which I’ve had since 2010 (maybe earlier) only shows one reply and no topics.

I think I’ve had one or two more of each than that.

Jess Zafarris
    Keymaster

Thank you all for your continued support through this process.

My brilliant dev guy thinks he can fix the issue where old posts are misattributed to different usernames.

He’s also going to add some moderation tools, which will allow me to set a Senior Moderator (Terry) and anyone else who would like to moderate. I would appreciate if these folks watched out for spam and other abuse.

I don’t have a timeline for either of these, but I know he’ll be working on it today, so we might have more spotty downtime here and there. Login may not work while he’s fixing the username issue.

ostarella
      Participant

I was mod for the Introductions (to delete the spam) but happy to help in other area(s) if needed.

Also – any way of merging our old accounts with the new one (which happened to many of us a few months ago when we couldn’t get into our old accounts)? So many old account posts ended up blank because of it, which makes those discussions rather pointless.

Jess Zafarris
      Keymaster

@ostarella Account merges are a bit trickier than some of the other issues we’re running into, so I’ll need to look into it after some other cleanup, but I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks for your help in this process — happy to consider any alterations.

ostarella
    Participant

We all know about the speed bumps with WIPs 😀

Jess Zafarris
    Keymaster

@terryrodgers has been made Senior Moderator. Is there anyone else who would like to be set as a moderator currently? This would allow you to review posts that are held for moderation, which currently includes unapproved posters who include links in their posts, and posts that use unusual characters. I can also tighten the parameters for what goes to moderation so that only approved members can post.

Dreams of Tanelorn
    Participant

Hi everybody. 🙂

It’s me “Dreams of Tanelorn”.

All of my old posts and all the topics I made have been mistakenly attributed to a member called “maxiuomc48”, that member is not me.

Like Warren, I hope this gets fixed too. 🙂

Rob Vargas

I’ve seen many of my old posts attributed to usernames other than my own, and replies that say “Anonymous.”

We’ll see how things go. We’re told developers are working on it.

Shorty3.0
    Participant

It’s me, Shorty3.0, after reading the comments about the upgrades/improvements in this thread I thought I’d post a test message to see if it shows up with mine or not. Way to go with spearheading the improvements on top of everything else you do for WD Jess, thank you!
    -Diana

Shorty3.0
    Participant

Follow-up: I checked my profile/updated it, but noticed a few oddities. In the “Blubrry Podcast Statistics” box totals –if those stats are regarding my screenname activity in WD forums, boy oh boy is it very very very off. If only I had that kind of time, lol!! And in the “Activity” box all of it showing –none of it is from my screenname, comment attributions in it etc.

So, are those showing us the overall for the whole WD forum in the Blubrry Podcast Statistics box -and the- Activity box? Or am I right to assume those are representative of what the new upgrades have attributed to my screenname since the upgrade by mistake?

Thanks again!
    Diana/Shorty3.0

Noizchild
    Participant

I keep trying to post, but it doesn’t come up. This forum is confusing.

ostarella
    Participant

I’m discovering that the “freshness” designation doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve recently found several posts from “1 day X hours ago” that didn’t show up when I checked the “1 day X-Y hours ago”. It appears that one has to look at each individual section and hope that we catch the new posts.

I’m not sure this whole update thing is working quite the way it should. Certainly not how many of us were hoping it would.

Rob Vargas

@noizchild:
    The spam detector is like an infant. It’s learning. It tagged a few of your posts. That should get better over time.

@ostarella:
    We’ve discussed this in private. For now, I’m going to try to make a go of it and see if WD can iron out all the bugs.

ostarella
    Participant

Um, any work being done on the upgrades? Things seem to have come to a standstill, and not at a very good place…

yellowducky
    Participant

what happened to the forum index>>??????

Rob Vargas

@jess-zafarris:
    Depending on which links I use, I am alternately logged out or logged in according to the forums. Login status is all over the place.

T. A. Rodgers
    Senior Moderator

I’m exploring the admin panel, so hopefully I can help out on fixing some of the new posts issue. Does everyone see the YA thread at the top of each thread? There were two and I think I figured out why. They were both listed as super sticky like this thread. I changed one to just sticky and it finally disappeared. I’ll change the other now.

T. A. Rodgers
    Senior Moderator

First thing I’ve noticed. After you post something you need to make sure it posted by scrolling to the bottom of the thread. On a couple of occasions I either forgot to enter the Captcha code or entered the wrong code.

ostarella
      Participant

The posts don’t always show up at the bottom. If you click “reply” for a particular post, it ends up with that post. If you click “reply” at the bottom, then it shows up at the bottom (as a separate post).

(This reply was done at your post, not at the bottom of the page, for example)

Rob Vargas

It is EXTREMELY bad that no error message displays if the Captcha is incorrect or missed.

T. A. Rodgers
    Senior Moderator

It does display, unfortunately not at the top of the page after you attempt to post. You only see it if you scroll to the bottom.

Rob Vargas

I normally don’t like pop-up screenlets, but this looks like one time where I’d prefer them.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.