Forumite Appreciation Day

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Forumite Appreciation Day

This topic contains 51 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  paulc 9 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

paulc
    Participant

On Sunday I was printing out some old threads so that I can reference them in my writing of Book Tour Book – they act as great memory joggers and springboards for my chapters.

Anyway, as I was reading through some of those old posts, it struck me just how many of you have been there for me, supporting me through this insane venture.

There were those of you who, right at the beginning, bought my book and began spread the word. There were those who showed up at my signings in all parts of the country and cheered me on, bringing me love and support when I was far from home. There were those of you who took me out to dinner, making sure I ate decent meal at least that night. There were those of you who, all on your own initiative, publicized my events in your town by handing out flyers, putting up posters and even sending out press releases. There were those of you who interviewed me for your own local media.

There were those of you who took me into your homes and your families, trusting that I would do the same for you. There were those of you who followed my threads and posted on them, bucking up my mood and being with me in spirit. There were those of you who brightened me up in the dark times, saying my own words back to me: “Chin up, sweetheart.” There were those of you who pmed or emailed me when I didn’t show up on the forum for a time, concerned about where I was. There were those of you who made me laugh when I was too battered and weak and aching to see the funny side of it. There were even those of you who told me how to deal with speeding tickets!

There were those of you who inspired me with your individual struggles and determinations. There were those of you who just listened when I wanted to vent, making soothing noises and holding my hand. There were those of you who danced happy dances for me through all my successes, little and big. There were those of you who gave me advice when I asked for it, sharing the wealth of your own experiences.

Looking back on it now, I don’t think I could have done it without you. And even if I could have it wouldn’t have been half so precious.

So here’s a list of all my favourite forumites, in no particular order. This list took me all of Monday to compile because I wanted to make sure I got as many of you as I could. Still, know that it’s not a complete list. If I’ve missed you out then be sure to post an “I’m gonna kick Jai’s ungrateful ass” message.

I love you all:

Kirby (Sonya), Riverstone, JohnOBX (John), Dragonsong (Jaleh), Spring4321 (Mary), Maria,

Wildstrawberries (Heather), 80squeen (Melissa), michaeljvaughn, Kingac (John), TraciG,

Leikec (Jeff), Angeleyes, Elibet (Elizabeth), Georganna, Bandito63 (Bob), TheRazor (David),

Gooblink (Cindy), abqwriter (Lisa), Pat Pechon, vade mecum (Carol), Deb E, Pegs, Lexi,

Kaymoon (Dorraine), Ultimate Cheapskate (Jeff), drbertholdt (Dinah), CPMurphy, mytimenow

KarenRankowitz, Loudermilk (Jack), Oldtimer (Dorothy), Epic (Mary), Capitalist Pig, Mirth,

Fantasy (Anna), KeithMN, drwasy (Linda), Kat, EzRytr (Lisa), EvieMay, Ponygal (Melanie),

A Traveller (Stephen), kerrymichaelwood, Plabius, Charmedprincess, Susan, Lauren (Krystal),

Shayd, Looneywriter (Kaycee), Jowen (Joan), Arwen, Pendragon (Kevin), Tails, Deborah B,

The Penciled One (Alexander), Insanity, black petal, andrew.v.spencer, Trina Syn, Rhonda,

Raymondstary, Ancient Mariner, JRhodes, cibo, PaigeVonLiber, dgford, Moko (Jill), Bevy, pls,

Stargirl, jonthestoryteller, jasipper (Joshua), Jimdems (Deanna), Cider with Susie, dquiggles,

deedee1 (Diana), Novembergal (Gena), SummerBreeze, Piper, Cooltouch (Michael), noblew,

Vladilynn (Lynn), ishtar’s gate (Linnea), supernerd, Shaka (Judith), LilliesCarol, Brenda Starr,

crazylady (Gina), Sheri2867, jmar2 (John), Mustang Writer, JonathanD, bibliophile (danielle),

fairchdr (Don), nhope (nancy), camper (Dan), pat roe,  Sarah Jane, kfox (Kathleen),

As long as this list is, it will probably only get longer as the forum grows and new members sign up. That’s the joy of it.

Here’s looking at you, kids.

Jai

paulc
    Participant

On Sunday I was printing out some old threads so that I can reference them in my writing of Book Tour Book – they act as great memory joggers and springboards for my chapters.

Anyway, as I was reading through some of those old posts, it struck me just how many of you have been there for me, supporting me through this insane venture.

There were those of you who, right at the beginning, bought my book and began spread the word. There were those who showed up at my signings in all parts of the country and cheered me on, bringing me love and support when I was far from home. There were those of you who took me out to dinner, making sure I ate decent meal at least that night. There were those of you who, all on your own initiative, publicized my events in your town by handing out flyers, putting up posters and even sending out press releases. There were those of you who interviewed me for your own local media.

There were those of you who took me into your homes and your families, trusting that I would do the same for you. There were those of you who followed my threads and posted on them, bucking up my mood and being with me in spirit. There were those of you who brightened me up in the dark times, saying my own words back to me: “Chin up, sweetheart.” There were those of you who pmed or emailed me when I didn’t show up on the forum for a time, concerned about where I was. There were those of you who made me laugh when I was too battered and weak and aching to see the funny side of it. There were even those of you who told me how to deal with speeding tickets!

There were those of you who inspired me with your individual struggles and determinations. There were those of you who just listened when I wanted to vent, making soothing noises and holding my hand. There were those of you who danced happy dances for me through all my successes, little and big. There were those of you who gave me advice when I asked for it, sharing the wealth of your own experiences.

Looking back on it now, I don’t think I could have done it without you. And even if I could have it wouldn’t have been half so precious.

So here’s a list of all my favourite forumites, in no particular order. This list took me all of Monday to compile because I wanted to make sure I got as many of you as I could. Still, know that it’s not a complete list. If I’ve missed you out then be sure to post an “I’m gonna kick Jai’s ungrateful ass” message.

I love you all:

Kirby (Sonya), Riverstone, JohnOBX (John), Dragonsong (Jaleh), Spring4321 (Mary), Maria,

Wildstrawberries (Heather), 80squeen (Melissa), michaeljvaughn, Kingac (John), TraciG,

Leikec (Jeff), Angeleyes, Elibet (Elizabeth), Georganna, Bandito63 (Bob), TheRazor (David),

Gooblink (Cindy), abqwriter (Lisa), Pat Pechon, vade mecum (Carol), Deb E, Pegs, Lexi,

Kaymoon (Dorraine), Ultimate Cheapskate (Jeff), drbertholdt (Dinah), CPMurphy, mytimenow

KarenRankowitz, Loudermilk (Jack), Oldtimer (Dorothy), Epic (Mary), Capitalist Pig, Mirth,

Fantasy (Anna), KeithMN, drwasy (Linda), Kat, EzRytr (Lisa), EvieMay, Ponygal (Melanie),

A Traveller (Stephen), kerrymichaelwood, Plabius, Charmedprincess, Susan, Lauren (Krystal),

Shayd, Looneywriter (Kaycee), Jowen (Joan), Arwen, Pendragon (Kevin), Tails, Deborah B,

The Penciled One (Alexander), Insanity, black petal, andrew.v.spencer, Trina Syn, Rhonda,

Raymondstary, Ancient Mariner, JRhodes, cibo, PaigeVonLiber, dgford, Moko (Jill), Bevy, pls,

Stargirl, jonthestoryteller, jasipper (Joshua), Jimdems (Deanna), Cider with Susie, dquiggles,

deedee1 (Diana), Novembergal (Gena), SummerBreeze, Piper, Cooltouch (Michael), noblew,

Vladilynn (Lynn), ishtar’s gate (Linnea), supernerd, Shaka (Judith), LilliesCarol, Brenda Starr,

crazylady (Gina), Sheri2867, jmar2 (John), Mustang Writer, JonathanD, bibliophile (danielle),

fairchdr (Don), nhope (nancy), camper (Dan), pat roe,  Sarah Jane, kfox (Kathleen),

As long as this list is, it will probably only get longer as the forum grows and new members sign up. That’s the joy of it.

Here’s looking at you, kids.

Jai

paulc
    Participant

mlghaley
    Participant

Jai, that is so kind of you to take the time to write such a truly appreciative thank you. And to create such a long list – that had to take a while! This is what I like about all the folks here in the WD forums. We support each other through everything, good and bad. Happy Forumite Appreciation Day everyone, especially Jai! 🙂

[Please forgive all the adjectives & adverbs – they escaped the cage.] 🙂

Bruce
    Participant

Aw:)

You’re a very special girl Jai and your hard work not only on writing you book, but getting it out there, is nothing short of inspirational.
    Thanks for letting us all know that we can if we want to, go on book tours! I always thought it was only the very famous who got to go on
    book tours. You proved that all it takes is belief in your work, determination and good old fashioned guts:) You’ve shown it can be done and done well:)

I’ve just realised your van must have chibungles of miles on it. How many miles did you rack-up?

Forumites, Thanks for the patience and information and education and laughs:)
    Elizabeth

Laurie Zupan
    Participant

Jai – you’re at the top of a lot of our lists. Your stamina, determination and positive attitude are admirable and contagious.

Laurie Zupan
    Participant

Jai – you’re at the top of a lot of our lists. Your stamina, determination and positive attitude are admirable and contagious.

charliebrown20
    Participant

Jai,

You truly are a wonderful person, and the effort you put into that post proves it.  I always look for your comments and read them in earnest.  You’ve helped me with many things since I joined this forum, although you may not even realize it.

I sincerely hope that all the good you’ve dished out will be returned to you many times over.

GafRoolfpep
    Participant

Jai,

Gritty Texas women; gotta love them! Your determination, kindness and humor have been an inspiration to me. Thank you for that! There are those certain people that lead by example. You’re one of those. Although I’ve never met you personally, I hope to one day. Until then, keep reaching for your dreams.

A big smile,
    Drain
    http://www.dorrainedarden.com

Michael J. Bugeja
    Participant

Wow, Jai. That must have taken you quite some time to type. Very nice of you. I feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and that’s saying a lot with everything that’s happened to my family in the past five months.

God bless and know that we are here for you. Especially when your parents find yet another special young man for you to meet.

kajufa
    Participant

What a sweet thread, Jai. Thank you.

xenie
    Participant

It’s amazing how the universe can give us what we need, when we need it.
    I’ve been feeling down over the last few days–not a smile in sight. However, I log on to my favourite web community and read a lovely post by a lovely person! Thanks Jai.

This is me, smiling!
    🙂

jshashaty
    Participant

George Gordon Byron, Lord Byron. 1788–1824

600. She walks in Beauty

SHE walks in beauty, like the night  
      Of cloudless climes and starry skies;  
    And all that ‘s best of dark and bright  
      Meet in her aspect and her eyes:  
    Thus mellow’d to that tender light          5
      Which heaven to gaudy day denies.  
    One shade the more, one ray the less,  
      Had half impair’d the nameless grace  
    Which waves in every raven tress,  
      Or softly lightens o’er her face;   10
    Where thoughts serenely sweet express  
      How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.  

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,  
      So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,  
    The smiles that win, the tints that glow,   15
      But tell of days in goodness spent,  
    A mind at peace with all below,  
      A heart whose love is innocent

hohoholly
    Participant

Thanks so much, Jai. How thoughtful of you to remember your friends at the Forum. I have been thinking about you too; asking at Barnes and Noble and Walden’s (?) for your book. No luck yet, unless I order it and I don’t have time to do that. I am in southern California; have escaped the Northern chills and am enjoying some sunshine. We are in Hemet for another couple of days, then will head for San Diego for a day or two, and then begin the long journey home (about 1,400 miles). I bought Cheap’s book already, and have been disapponted not to find yours yet — but I will.

Best and hugs to you too.

Joan 

KublaiKhan
    Participant

How sweet of you, Jai. I hope you know how much you are appreciated here as well.

paulc
    Participant

Hee hee, and Monday was the day I was supposed to do my taxes. Looks like I found something much more fun to do, eh?

But really, if there’s one thing a writer need it’s friends. Writing is such a lonely job. You guys haven’t been just friends to me you’ve been family and that’s a bond that grows stronger all the time.

Jai

paulc
    Participant

Hee hee, and Monday was the day I was supposed to do my taxes. Looks like I found something much more fun to do, eh?

But really, if there’s one thing a writer need it’s friends. Writing is such a lonely job. You guys haven’t been just friends to me you’ve been family and that’s a bond that grows stronger all the time.

Jai

Mark Lewis
    Participant

You are a force of nature, Jai-Jai….

Anything positive I give to you comes back to me tenfold.

Jeff C

Mark Lewis
    Participant

You are a force of nature, Jai-Jai….

Anything positive I give to you comes back to me tenfold.

Jeff C

kerrywood
    Blocked

Back at ya kid. 🙂

Geez… seeing that list makes me miss so many of those guys.

You really are an inspiration, and quite a brave adventurer.

kerrywood
    Blocked

Back at ya kid. 🙂

Geez… seeing that list makes me miss so many of those guys.

You really are an inspiration, and quite a brave adventurer.

CSachjen
    Participant

Oh believe me, it all comes back. Like right now, as I’m facing the daunting task of setting up my own tour. There are going to be many obstacles, I’m sure, but I keep your example in mind to keep me going…

CSachjen
    Participant

Oh believe me, it all comes back. Like right now, as I’m facing the daunting task of setting up my own tour. There are going to be many obstacles, I’m sure, but I keep your example in mind to keep me going…

paulc
    Participant

I’ve got the most burning urge to sing “kumbaya” right now.

Michael, one thing: Don’t believe those stores when they tell you they’ll phone back. Ask what is a good time for you to phone them back and then follow up. That way they can’t escape or pretend that they don’t remember. You’ll save so much time like that.

Jai

paulc
    Participant

I’ve got the most burning urge to sing “kumbaya” right now.

Michael, one thing: Don’t believe those stores when they tell you they’ll phone back. Ask what is a good time for you to phone them back and then follow up. That way they can’t escape or pretend that they don’t remember. You’ll save so much time like that.

Jai

superman13
    Participant

Jai –
    The pleasure – and honor – is all ours, having you on board here in the Forums.

superman13
    Participant

Jai –
    The pleasure – and honor – is all ours, having you on board here in the Forums.

SunStar
    Participant

Jai – your on the top of our lists. You are an inspiration to many, and I aspire to have your drive and determination. Thanks for being an unknown motivator 🙂

-John

SunStar
    Participant

Jai – your on the top of our lists. You are an inspiration to many, and I aspire to have your drive and determination. Thanks for being an unknown motivator 🙂

-John

creator
    Participant

I like this thread! Very thoughtful of you, Jai. 🙂

I’d just like to reciprocate that appreciation. You’ve always been an inspiring forumite, and just from reading your posts, I can tell you’re strong and good-natured at heart. I’ve always liked a number of your posts, anyhow, because like many others here, not only are they meaningful– they are honest and they show a deep regard for the person/subject you address. Even though being on the Web liberates you to an extent, I’m pretty sure that if I met you in real life my thoughts would be the same. 🙂

And no joke, everytime I walk into Barnes and Noble I think of your book. I NEED IT. 😉

Thanks again for the thread of appreciation! 🙂 🙂

creator
    Participant

I like this thread! Very thoughtful of you, Jai. 🙂

I’d just like to reciprocate that appreciation. You’ve always been an inspiring forumite, and just from reading your posts, I can tell you’re strong and good-natured at heart. I’ve always liked a number of your posts, anyhow, because like many others here, not only are they meaningful– they are honest and they show a deep regard for the person/subject you address. Even though being on the Web liberates you to an extent, I’m pretty sure that if I met you in real life my thoughts would be the same. 🙂

And no joke, everytime I walk into Barnes and Noble I think of your book. I NEED IT. 😉

Thanks again for the thread of appreciation! 🙂 🙂

lanabanana
    Participant

Aww thanks Jai.  🙂

All your posts are really meaningful and great.  

lanabanana
    Participant

Aww thanks Jai.  🙂

All your posts are really meaningful and great.  

paulc
    Participant

Elibet – 2009-03-24 8:01 AM Aw:) I’ve just realised your van must have chibungles of miles on it. How many miles did you rack-up? Forumites, Thanks for the patience and information and education and laughs:) Elizabeth

I just had to go into the garage and check. It’s 59,300 miles that I’ve chugged, give or take a few, on my trusty sedona.

Jai

paulc
    Participant

Elibet – 2009-03-24 8:01 AM Aw:) I’ve just realised your van must have chibungles of miles on it. How many miles did you rack-up? Forumites, Thanks for the patience and information and education and laughs:) Elizabeth

I just had to go into the garage and check. It’s 59,300 miles that I’ve chugged, give or take a few, on my trusty sedona.

Jai

paulc
    Participant

Kirby – 2009-03-24 9:38 AM God bless and know that we are here for you. Especially when your parents find yet another special young man for you to meet.

Ahh, but that’s the rub!

Jai

paulc
    Participant

Kirby – 2009-03-24 9:38 AM God bless and know that we are here for you. Especially when your parents find yet another special young man for you to meet.

Ahh, but that’s the rub!

Jai

BLP
    Participant

Thanks, Jai. I enjoy being one of the usual suspects.

BLP
    Participant

Thanks, Jai. I enjoy being one of the usual suspects.

mekano46
    Participant

Come back any time Jai. It was our pleasure. Mary

Dee-Marie
    Participant

Jai – you are so sweet to take time to thank everyone individually. I wish I were one of those that had put you up in their home. Please, if you ever tour or travel to NM, let me know and I’ll happily provide!

Peg

paulc
    Participant

Pegs, since I love your state like my own, I’ll surely take you up on that! Thanks,

Jai

cayellow
    Participant

Given the near nuclear fallout we had over the Church, over there in TIO, I was most surprised to find myself in your list, and pleased.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: And honored :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

That’s me bowing to you.  Thank you.

cayellow
    Participant

Given the near nuclear fallout we had over the Church, over there in TIO, I was most surprised to find myself in your list, and pleased.

paulc
    Participant

Plabius – 2009-03-26 4:52 PM

Plabius, I respect and honour your faith and convictions. Our differences of opinion do not mean that we can not be friends. I certainly hold you as one of mine.

Jai

paulc
    Participant

Plabius – 2009-03-26 4:52 PM

Plabius, I respect and honour your faith and convictions. Our differences of opinion do not mean that we can not be friends. I certainly hold you as one of mine.

Jai

revpowell
    Participant

-DavidG

revpowell
    Participant

-DavidG

dwtk
    Participant

Hi Jai,

Thank you for your kind words.  No matter how much help we may have given to you, you were always there for us in return.  You may not have realized it, but you have been an inspiration to many of us. 

I will always remember the day that you came to visit our town.  You shared with us your warmth, your humor, and your friendship.  You touched our lives.

Thank you Jai, for all the things that you have given to us.

Bob

dwtk
    Participant

Hi Jai,

Thank you for your kind words.  No matter how much help we may have given to you, you were always there for us in return.  You may not have realized it, but you have been an inspiration to many of us. 

I will always remember the day that you came to visit our town.  You shared with us your warmth, your humor, and your friendship.  You touched our lives.

Thank you Jai, for all the things that you have given to us.

Bob

paulc
    Participant

David, awww.

Bob, I still remember that day too. It was so much fun meeting you and I hope we can meet again sometime.

Jai

paulc
    Participant

David, awww.

Bob, I still remember that day too. It was so much fun meeting you and I hope we can meet again sometime.

Jai

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.