first post :)

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Introductions first post :)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  timeradrake 5 months ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Hi,
    This is Amy

I’m rejoining the discussions after a long time away from the writer’s digest community – – and by long, I mean years lol 😀 None of you will remember me, I promise.
    I have a question about tablets vs notebooks vs laptops for writing. Not sure if the intro is the correct place to ask about it, but I’m not allowed to post anywhere else until I introduce myself. Just wondering what everyone prefers and why. I’m shopping 🙂 I want something lightweight but a comfy keyboard.
    Anyway, my kids are nearly grown and this feels like a good time to start writing more and connecting with other writers. I have been blogging, have sold some health related articles/essays but would like to get back to writing some fiction and am feeling quite rusty!

Looking forward to talking with all of you 🙂

AngelinaK52
    Participant

Welcome to the forums. I’ve been here since 2008. 🙂

timeradrake
    Participant

Hi, Amy!
    > I have a question about tablets vs notebooks vs laptops for writing.
    > Just wondering what everyone prefers and why. I’m shopping 🙂 I want something lightweight but a comfy keyboard.

Hmm… yes, please! 😀

As an I.T. worker, I get a lot of chances to “play” with different (hardware) formats. I guess my biggest question would be: do you really want portable? For longer period of writing, a well-configured workspace with a less portable system is far more ergonomic. Less stress and RSI in the long run.

Having said that, I tend to spend time writing wherever I can find it. So I’ve tried a couple of “convertible” mobile formats. The two I chose were pricey, but my I.T. work kind of pushed that a bit.

First of all, many laptop manufacturers are now building these convertible machines. I prefer Lenovo and what they call the Yoga. https://www3.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/yoga/c/yoga?menu-id=Yoga_Laptops

For me, a convertible like that gives the best flexibility for when and how I find time to do what I’m doing. In this case, the Yoga can rotate the keyboard all the way behind the screen, turning it into a touch sensitive tablet, and it has an on-screen keyboard. Of course, that keyboard uses up screen space, but for 15-30 minutes in a commuter train station, perfect. The Yoga locks the physical keys when they are rotated that way, and mine has lasted four years with nary a hiccup. But if you follow the link, you pay for those. I say look around for “convertible” and “2-in-1” laptops. I think there are some decent inexpensive ones out there. Some of those 2-in-1’s have the screen separate from the keyboard, and those are usually less expensive. The REALLY fancy convertibles rotate the screen, so that the keyboard is physically protected from the environment.

Another option would be a kind of laptop called a Chromebook. HP, Dell, even Google itself sell these. They are inexpensive, but at a cost. While these machines have some storage inside the machine, they are really designed for being used with Internet access so they can access Google’s online services. You can use these offline, for writing, but I’d strongly recommend always having Internet when you use these.

I also have something called a Surface Pro. Sadly, these are being slowly phased out. One big reason, cost. Expensive suckers. But a “full Windows” tablet with a magnetically attachable keyboard. Sold by Microsoft. I’m happy with it, but getting it was painful to the pocketbook.

I’m going to not recommend tablets. It’s not a strong no, however. Just a preference. Tablets require extra effort to use them full-fledged, like for writing. It can be done, and it’s not really all that hard. But if you can afford a tablet, you can afford a Chromebook.

Notebooks are one of those “hazy” areas. How do you tell a notebook from a laptop? You don’t, really, You might see manufacturers call one a laptop, and another very similar model is a notebook. I would worry about the distinction too much. In any practical sense, there are three form out there that are so alike it’s not worth a writer separating them: Notebook, Laptop, and Ultrabook.

Ultrabooks can be the most portable of the three, and usually are. But that usually comes with a price premium.

Really, I say that for writing you can’t really go wrong with any portable computer from any of the major manufacturers.

Hope that helps.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.