Everything is all planned out!

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Conversation question Everything is all planned out!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  wdarcy 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

GlenBarrington
    Participant

I’m ready to WRITE! But then I think of something that needs to be added (and probably will make the story/book better), but is this really just a sophisticated form of self-sabotage, and time wasting? When is enough, enough?

Rob Vargas

I don’t think I can give you even a guideline, other than:

It’s done when it’s done.

Think of the story. Don’t think about looks, or style, or any of that. Does that change make the story better, make it move and progress? If yes, probably go with it. If not, probably dump it.

But I can’t think of a “formula” for that.

shadowwalker
    Participant

Agree with Rob. Time can also be a big help in deciding whether the “new idea” should go in this story or be set aside for perhaps another one. Put the ms away for a week or two. Don’t think about it, don’t pull it out and add to it. Just put it away and work on something else. Then, after you’ve had time to distance yourself, read it from start to finish, making a few notes about what you saw (or didn’t see) as you read. You may decide that that new idea would help the story – or that it’s a cool idea but not necessary (ie, save for another story). Or that it was a cool idea that really can’t go anywhere other than “Well, that was a cool idea”…

Editing can improve a story or, as you worry, it can be the death knell because you never stop. If nothing else, say enough is enough, do a proofread only, then get some critiques and go from there.

Rob Vargas

I just remembered Heinlein’s first law of writing.

Write.

That seems rather simplistic, but there’s a lesson in there.

Get through the story first. Get it out on (proverbial or literal) paper. Editing on the fly, for many, is a form of self-destruction. As you’re discovering for yourself.

You can always go back and rewrite or edit. But get it written first.

wdarcy
    Participant

Heinlein’s second law of writing:

Finish what you write.

And you will never finish it if you keep obsessively editing while you’re writing.

–Warren

shadowwalker
    Participant

Just wanted to point out that obsessive editing will be the death knell of story whether you do it as you write or after you finish. Personally, I edit as I go – but I know the difference between “improving” and just “changing”. 😉

wdarcy
    Participant

Actually, I do edit a bit as I go–to the extent of re-reading and editing what I wrote the previous day. When I get to the end, I go back and subject the entire MS to a complete edit. But I know when to stop.

–Warren

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.