Elementary but critical questions

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Elementary but critical questions

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  dnifrmpa30 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

dnifrmpa30
    Participant

Hello, fellow writers (Scribblers, starving artists or glamorous Hollywood sellouts):

I will appreciate all informed answers to these pressing questions:

!) I have heard that one should list, in one’s query letter or book proposal, all or some of one’s prior publications. I have been published about 5 times. The problem: The last time I was published was long ago. More specifically,

A) I have four items that were published in 2014;

B) I have one item that was published in 1985.

The stuff that was published in 2014 were all in the same not-so-hot and easy to get into online magazine. It didn’t pay anything. The item that was published in 1985 was published in a national magazine and earned me money even though it was unsolicited, it was non fiction, and I had no expert credentials to rationalize the dissemination of my ideas. It pertained to a timely and urgent political and social crisis.

Should I

a) refer to only the stuff published in 2014
    b) refer to none of the stuff as it was all long ago
    c) say what the hell and mention all items. (As you may have inferred from the preceding, I am proudest of the 1985 piece)

2) Should I place a copyright notice on stuff that I send to pulishers and agents.

I thank you in advance for your help

Anonymous

I can’t definitively answer your first question – personally, I’d note them simply because they’re out there.

As to your second question – no, do not put a copyright notice on anything you’re sending to agent/publishers. Everything has copyright the moment it’s written, and agents/publishers know that.

AngelinaK52
    Participant

If you are querying a novel, I do not see any reason to list the non-paying items. They hold no weight. If they did, everyone would start doing it. The 1985 piece is a tough sell. It’s so long ago.

debbieolch
    Participant

Unsheathed wrote:

> Should I
    >
    > a) refer to only the stuff published in 2014
    > b) refer to none of the stuff as it was all long ago
    > c) say what the hell and mention all items. (As you may have inferred
    > from the preceding, I am proudest of the 1985 piece)
    Five items are too many to mention. Summarize. If they are in quality magazines, mention that. If not, don’t mention the market.

>
    > 2) Should I place a copyright notice on stuff that I send to pulishers and
    > agents.
    Hell no. It’s a sign of ignorance for fiction & nonfiction (though that’s not the case for screenplays).

dnifrmpa30
    Participant

Thanks for your help.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.