Does anyone else feel disillusioned?

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Does anyone else feel disillusioned?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  paulinamarroquin 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

paulinamarroquin
    Participant

Hi there,

I think I have lost my “flow” as in I cannot seem to write with my heart and soul. Every sentence seems incredibly hard work, but hey, at least I can still make myself write, am I right?

But the thing is… I have been recently feeling disillusioned with writing and the publishing world in general. It seems that my marketing efforts (I am a self-published author) are not really working and my book sales have been almost down to zero in the past week despite having four books up on Amazon. Maybe it is because I have not been willing yet to spend large sums of money on marketing my books? I am, of course, aware of the fact that I have not created easily marketable books, but still…

Of course writing is not about making money, and if I knew that in the future I will not sell any book at all, I think I would still write.

My question is though, how do you successfully ignore disastrous book sales and focus solely on creating the best product when it seems that despite your best efforts, you never really “succeed”?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Anonymous

I don’t think ignoring low sales is the answer. Every business has to look at why a product isn’t working, and figure out how to change that. And that’s the thing about publishing – it’s a business. There is a reason for low sales – maybe marketing (not necessarily money spent), maybe subject (limited audience), maybe the writing – or maybe you’re just not good a being a self-publisher (not everybody is).

paulinamarroquin
    Participant

Well, by “ignoring disastrous book sales” I did not mean that I will stop improving my marketing strategies. My question was rather how can I stay motivated and find my “flow” while I work on improving my book sales?

Sales will not magically appear overnight, so in the meantime I need to “ignore” them to keep writing.

Anonymous

Well, the only way I know to stay “motivated” is not to wait for motivation. A clogged drain clears because someone kept working to clear it. 😉

paulinamarroquin
    Participant

True, yes 🙂 I will keep writing and hopefully I will overcome the sluggishness I feel.

Anonymous

Not really, just a little bit bored.

debbieolch
    Participant

Lack of effort is a rational response to lack of success.

If you’re dedicated to writing, work on improving your ability. You can do that regardless of whether people are buying your books or not.

paulinamarroquin
    Participant

DrG2 wrote:
    > Lack of effort is a rational response to lack of success.
    >

To be honest I do not quite understand this sentence.

> If you’re dedicated to writing, work on improving your ability. You can do
    > that regardless of whether people are buying your books or not.

That is certainly true. And I have never given up on writing… yet. But sometimes the lack of results despite efforts frustrates me. I think this response is only natural. So my question is really how do all of you keep going in times of seeming lack of success?

Anonymous

I think it’s a natural response as well. Any time you dump your heart and soul into something and the return is less than satisfactory, it’s tough. But that’s also where you build up your resiliency. You acknowledge the feeling but you don’t give it a shovel because it can dig deep holes fast. As for marketing, I don’t think you can do better for the money than Facebook. You can set up Ad campaigns for as little as $5 a day for however many days you want. And, to top it off, you can target market your audience. I generate more sales using that than anything. I tried a $100, 30 day campaign on Amazon once, It generated 3 sales. Won’t be doing that any time soon.

Anonymous

Self-publishing is a lot like starting one’s own business. I think something like 90% of businesses fail.

But the percentage isn’t the point. The point is that it’s hard work. It doesn’t “just happen.” What is it that entrepreneurial experts say?

Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.

JK Rowling was receiving social welfare when she finished her first Harry Potter book. There’s links around here somewhere saying that the average self-published book doesn’t sell more then 100 copies (and the actual nunmber is far less, I think). Success rises out of failure. Donald Trump has gone bankrupt 7 times or more. Whatever you think of the man, getting elected President was a major accomplishment. And think of what ALL the experts thought his odds of success were.

So accept your failures. Take them NOT as an end that hurts, but as a step from which you can learn, and grow.

paulinamarroquin
    Participant

Brien Sz wrote:
    > I think it’s a natural response as well. Any time you dump your heart and
    > soul into something and the return is less than satisfactory, it’s tough.
    > But that’s also where you build up your resiliency. You acknowledge the
    > feeling but you don’t give it a shovel because it can dig deep holes fast.
    > As for marketing, I don’t think you can do better for the money than
    > Facebook. You can set up Ad campaigns for as little as $5 a day for
    > however many days you want. And, to top it off, you can target market your
    > audience. I generate more sales using that than anything. I tried a $100,
    > 30 day campaign on Amazon once, It generated 3 sales. Won’t be doing that
    > any time soon.

Wow, thanks for the advice! 🙂 So far I have only heard bad things about Facebook ads, but $5 a day really is not a big investment. I will definitely try that

paulinamarroquin
    Participant

RobTheThird wrote:
    > Self-publishing is a lot like starting one’s own business. I think
    > something like 90% of businesses fail.
    >
    > But the percentage isn’t the point. The point is that it’s hard work. It
    > doesn’t “just happen.” What is it that entrepreneurial experts
    > say?
    >
    > Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
    >
    > JK Rowling was receiving social welfare when she finished her first Harry
    > Potter book. There’s links around here somewhere saying that the average
    > self-published book doesn’t sell more then 100 copies (and the actual
    > nunmber is far less, I think). Success rises out of failure. Donald Trump
    > has gone bankrupt 7 times or more. Whatever you think of the man, getting
    > elected President was a major accomplishment. And think of what ALL the
    > experts thought his odds of success were.
    >
    > So accept your failures. Take them NOT as an end that hurts, but as a step
    > from which you can learn, and grow.

You are right. Giving up is certainly not an option. Thanks for the motivation 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.