Do You See What I See?

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Conversation question Do You See What I See?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  margery65w 4 weeks ago.

• Author

sherryherrod263
    Participant

“… from the most unlikeliest of depths… “

Is the phrase grammatically correct? Is there something else ‘wrong’ with it that makes me grind my teeth and I don’t know why?

Anonymous

It’s the “most” with the “est”. Might as well have written “from the mostest unlikely of depths”.

jIPPity
    Participant

How about simply: “from the most unlikely depth”?

–Warren

Anonymous

wdarcy wrote:
    > How about simply: “from the most unlikely depth”?
    >
    > –Warren

Yeah, that’s the correct way.

sherryherrod263
    Participant

Would you believe that line is a direct quote from a professional journal for writers?

Anonymous

MikePhillip wrote:
    > Would you believe that line is a direct quote from a professional journal
    > for writers?

Doesn’t surprise me. Just another example of why writers have to take advice as just that – advice – and not the Gospel.

sherryherrod263
    Participant

Here’s one I saw this morning. Headline: “In Rwandan Mass Graves, Clothing Is One Of The Only Ways To Identify Dead”.

“Only” in this sense, to me, screams “exclusivity” so it should read, “… Clothing is One of the “Few Ways”… “

khwybebm50
    Participant

MikePhillip wrote:
    > “… from the most unlikeliest of depths… “
    >
    > Is the phrase grammatically correct? Is there something else ‘wrong’ with
    > it that makes me grind my teeth and I don’t know why?

I can see what you’re getting at, and in some stories/genres that phrasing is likely perfect for what a writer-storyteller’s trying to convey. However, pulled out from the larger picture of a story’s context and to your point specifically, after a university writing class with William Brohaugh’s book WriteTight as the foundation of if it, I’m thinking he’d classify use of “…most unlikeliest..: as redundant or wordy. It’s either ‘…the unlikeliest…” or it’s not, basically, IMO, further qualifying a word such as unlikeliest would essentially be unnecessary as it defines itself.

cypher
    Participant

Unless it is said by a character who always speaks that way, e.g., “a circular sphere'”. I read that in a story recently. 🙁

minervabarunga
    Participant

I can’t help but wonder if depth here is in the nautical sense, or something else. Always helps to see the complete context.

Anonymous

TheContemplativeWordsmith wrote:
    > I can’t help but wonder if depth here is in the nautical sense, or
    > something else. Always helps to see the complete context.

I’m not sure it makes any difference as far as the “most unlikeliest” – something is either the ‘most unlikely’ or the ‘unlikeliest’.

margery65w
    Participant

MikePhillip wrote:
    > “… from the most unlikeliest of depths… “
    >
    > Is the phrase grammatically correct?

Officially it is bad grammar.

It may be used for emphasis. But only in informal situations could it get a pass.

Or it may be like my 3 year old who said that something was ‘more better’.
    Logical yes , but incorrect grammatically.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.