Can’t Dupe Readers? (SPOILER FOR Avengers: Age of Ultron)

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Can’t Dupe Readers? (SPOILER FOR Avengers: Age of Ultron)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  maxiuomc48 4 months ago.

• Author

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Why Authors Can’t Afford to Dupe Readers (or Why Hawkeye Ruined Avengers)
    by K.M. Weiland
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcOznC1upZ8

Hi everybody. 🙂

In the above video, K.M. Weiland explains how the audience is lead to believe that a certain character is probably going to die, but later it is really a different character who dies.

K.M. Weiland didn’t like being duped in that way and said that the audience was duped just for the sake of duping the audience.

Do you guys and gals agree? Was it really that bad?

:geek:

Anonymous

Haven’t seen the movie (actually, any comic book movies 😕 ) but I do agree – authors should never mislead readers just because they can. Authors thinking they’re being clever instead of putting the story first. Big difference between readers saying “Wow, I didn’t see that coming!” and readers saying “WTF?”.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Thanks for the reply ostarella. 🙂

Anonymous

I agree with the concept, though not (I think) the example.

I didn’t watch the YouTube video, but if it has to do with Quicksilver, then this moment was building. First of all, his statement in that moment is a running gag throughout the movie. Second, it’s the culmination of his journey from bad guy to hero. There’s a shock to it, yes, but I don’t agree that it’s a dupe moment.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Thanks for the reply RobTheThird. 🙂

debbieolch
    Participant

I don’t place too much value in Weiland’s blog, though some of the basic stuff she covered in her early years was perfectly fine.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Thanks for the reply DrG2. 🙂

Anonymous

This used to be called a plot twist. Still is, actually.

Anonymous

Burningthyself wrote:
    > This used to be called a plot twist. Still is, actually.

That’s why I distinguished between readers saying “didn’t see that coming” and “wtf?”. One’s a plot twist, one’s an author’s ego. 😉

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Thanks for the replies everyone. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.