Book Sales by Format (eBook, print, audiobook)

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Tips and Advice Book Sales by Format (eBook, print, audiobook)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  margery65w 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Anonymous

Just ran the sales numbers for 1st Quarter 2018 regarding my two nonfiction books and found the following results:
    •54% paperback,
    •33% eBook,
    •10% audiobook, and
    •3% hard cover.

Just curious to hear if other authors are seeing a similar breakdown of sales by format???

PS- If anyone is curious, my Amazon AMS sponsored ads were very effective this 3-month period and made up HALF of my total sales (305). Also, my ppk sales increased a bit this period as a result of giving several (non-paid) speeches on topics related to my books. I’m happy about that and will continue doing both.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Thanks for the sales info on your two nonfiction books.

Thanks especially for the Amazon AMS info. Derek Murphy recently did a YouTube video about using Amazon AMS.

“How to set up AMS ads to sell more books on Amazon”
    by Derek Murphy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCeL-_Y-GzE

Derek Murphy made the cover for one of your books, didn’t he?

Again, thanks for the info. 🙂

Anonymous

I haven’t done audio yet. But my breakdown is more like 80% e-book, 20% softcover. I did Amazon advertising and saw little return. I find a much a higher return at less cost advertising on Facebook.

margery65w
    Participant

mikeyboy_esq wrote:
    > Just ran the sales numbers for 1st Quarter 2018 regarding my two nonfiction
    > books and found the following results:
    > •54% paperback,
    > •33% eBook,
    > •10% audiobook, and
    > •3% hard cover.
    >
    > Just curious to hear if other authors are seeing a similar breakdown of
    > sales by format???
    >
    >
    > PS- If anyone is curious, my Amazon AMS sponsored ads were very effective
    > this 3-month period and made up HALF of my total sales (305). Also, my ppk
    > sales increased a bit this period as a result of giving several (non-paid)
    > speeches on topics related to my books. I’m happy about that and will
    > continue doing both.

Would like to know what type of ads for what type of books in which media paid for themselves and never lost money.

margery65w
    Participant

Brien Sz wrote:
    > I haven’t done audio yet. But my breakdown is more like 80% e-book, 20%
    > softcover. I did Amazon advertising and saw little return. I find a much
    > a higher return at less cost advertising on Facebook.

I read your OP as saying you had 10% audio book sales.

The audio publishers association indicates that audio works best in a few selected areas of books not good across the board.
    Novels and language books are best. Textbooks and graphics oriented ones not so good.

Additionally it is more expensive to do audio versions and sales tend to be a small fraction of the total.
    That indicates you should be careful about which types of books you attempt to publish an audio version for.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.