Billy Graham

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  sherryherrod263 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

cypher
    Participant

From 1981 to 1982 I was secretary to David C. Rennie, who, besides being the Chairman and Managing Director of MicroLease Ltd., was also the Company Director of The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association Ltd.

During my time with Mr. Rennie (who was a devout Christian), because of his involvement with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Assn., I had the opportunity to attend the Crusade that took place in London at Earls Court. It was a remarkable experience. Dr. Graham spoke powerfully and thousands came forward to accept Jesus. I had offered to help with typing contact cards and took my typewriter with me to the meeting. Afterwards, so many other people volunteered that my services weren’t needed. It was late, the tubes had stopped running, and there were few buses. Those that were running were few and far between. Rather than wait forever at a bus stop, I followed the No.18 route because that ran all the way from Central London out to Sudbury where I was living. As the crow flies, the distance from Earls Court to Sudbury is (if I remember rightly) twelve miles. I had walked eight miles, trundling my typewriter on a small luggage trolley, before I caught the bus. The euphoria of the meeting was still with me: the passion, the power of the message and the swelling harmony of the hymns. I had never heard such songs before.

Should I write about this experience, like so many others will? Or does it smack of “Me too”? When I lived in South Carolina, we turned into or out of The Billy Graham Parkway every time we went to Charlotte Douglas Airport, so I still felt connected to that time thirty-five years ago. It was all very uplifting and became an experience I shall never, ever forget.

khwybebm50
    Participant

Oldtimer wrote:
    > From 1981 to 1982 I was secretary to David C. Rennie, who, besides being
    > the Chairman and Managing Director of MicroLease Ltd., was also the Company
    > Director of The Billy Graham Evangelistic Association Ltd.
    >
    > During my time with Mr. Rennie (who was a devout Christian), because of his
    > involvement with the Billy Graham Evangelistic Assn., I had the opportunity
    > to attend the Crusade that took place in London at Earls Court. It was a
    > remarkable experience. Dr. Graham spoke powerfully and thousands came
    > forward to accept Jesus. I had offered to help with typing contact cards
    > and took my typewriter with me to the meeting. Afterwards, so many other
    > people volunteered that my services weren’t needed. It was late, the tubes
    > had stopped running, and there were few buses. Those that were running were
    > few and far between. Rather than wait forever at a bus stop, I followed the
    > No.18 route because that ran all the way from Central London out to Sudbury
    > where I was living. As the crow flies, the distance from Earls Court to
    > Sudbury is (if I remember rightly) twelve miles. I had walked eight miles,
    > trundling my typewriter on a small luggage trolley, before I caught the
    > bus. The euphoria of the meeting was still with me: the passion, the power
    > of the message and the swelling harmony of the hymns. I had never heard
    > such songs before.
    >
    > Should I write about this experience, like so many others will? Or does it
    > smack of “Me too”? When I lived in South Carolina, we turned into
    > or out of The Billy Graham Parkway every time we went to Charlotte Douglas
    > Airport, so I still felt connected to that time thirty-five years ago. It
    > was all very uplifting and became an experience I shall never, ever forget.

Write about it, put it out for others to be encouraged, reminded, and inspired by it.

There are some things than transcend “mere” human existance this side of the veil whether one believe in God or does not. Such encouragement and reminders are needed now more than ever. It’s sad that God has not raised up another to walk in Rev. Billy Graham’s paths, to the extent he chose to walk his faith journey in. He and his BGEA came to Syracuse, NY, in either ’88 or ’89 around summer time, and the church I was part of at that time provided members for the adult choir of which I was graced to be in as I was only in high school at the time. To be part of that choir at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, NY, even wearing hearing aids since summer before 7th grade, with my mother who also has bilateral hearing loss, was indeed a huge blessing I will never forget. The big picture, and the small picture of all of that will be memories I will remember with joy and humility til it’s my time to cross over.

Anonymous

You sound inspired, Dorothy. Write.

SilverTitan
    Participant

It doesn’t smack of “Me, too” at all. Those “many others who will” haven’t written their stories yet. Listen to your spirit. If it’s still on your heart to write your story, write it.

While I’m not a personal fan (or reader) of Stephen King, I enjoy listening to his lectures. His writing isn’t to my taste but I’m smart enough to know that I can still learn a thing or two from him. Here’s something that stuck in my head and got me to take the plunge and start writing:

When asked what he thinks of writers who keep a notebook and pen handy to write ideas down in, he said (and I’m paraphrasing), “Notebooks are the absolute best place to immortalize bad ideas. I believe the good ideas stick around and don’t let go. They cause you to come back and think about them over and over again.”

While there’s no one right way to write, and every writer has a different style, habits, personality and quirks, not all writing advice is true for every writer. I used to keep an idea notebook all the time. Years ago I finally trashed it thinking, “Stop wasting time and getting your hopes up! I’ll never be a writer anyway.” Recently all that changed and I fully intend to write and be published! Most of the ideas from that notebook are long forgotten. The ideas that came back to me are the ones I was excited about in the first place. I’ve never forgotten them.

In this case, Stephen King’s advice was correct. So, I would ask you two questions. In the two weeks or so that have passed, how often has this idea occupied your thinking? How does it make you feel when you’re considering it?

sherryherrod263
    Participant

“… there is nothing new under the sun.” (from Hebrew scripture and quoted in Christian scripture, also attributed to Confucius and other philosophers), so nay-saying based on what others have written is a non-starter for me. Time can give a “me too” experience an entirely new perspective.

There is a huge market for uplifting stories and books.

My vote is that you go for it! Hope to read it soon.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.