Best Man/Maid of Honor Speech – 9/29

Home Forums Motivation Station Writing Prompts and Challenges Best Man/Maid of Honor Speech – 9/29

This topic contains 25 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  carpinteyrocqi 7 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

admin
    Participant

admin
    Participant

Your closest friend has asked you to give a speech at his/her wedding.

You can post your response (500 words or fewer) here.

mcred
    Participant

I can feel the blood rushing up into my face as I stand to make a toast for my sister’s reception.

I feel itchy and conspicuous in the lavender taffeta getup I am forced to wear as a bride’s maid. The dress reminds me of the Grimace, the purple creature who tagged along with Ronald McDonald. It’s skirt is huge, I have to hold the thing down just to get past all the attendees to make my way to the microphone.

No I don’t have a speech planned, I am going to wing it. My three month old son sits on my husband’s lap and starts to cry again. I had completely forgotten I needed to prepare a speech that is, until today.

“My sister, Cindy and her husband, Carl, or Mr. And Mrs. Wilson,” I start, after that, my mind draws a blank, “are two people who were meant to be together, for all eternity..” I wince at that as giggles erupt from the guests, realizing too late it sounds more like a death sentence than a marriage congratulation.

As the giggles make their way through the audience I lean down low, toss back the rest of my champagne, grab another full glass sitting near me and wait. One one thousand, two one thousand, ahhh… I’m not much for drinking, but this is medicinal.

I continue, smiling now, I decide to go for it… “My dear sister and I have been waiting for our wedding days since we were little girls, we would steal our mother’s bridal veil and tromp down the hallway in her high heel shoes. We performed a wedding for our dogs, Pierre and Fifi, so they would not be together in sin. We married our neighbor boy, myself one week and Cindy the next. We had a wedding for our goldfish.

Carl is the Ken to Cindy as Barbie.”

More snickers made their way through the audience.

“Today is a dream realized, a dream that Cindy could only dream of as a child…” the redundancy of that statement was not lost on me, even after speed downing a champagne. I took a look at the full glass in my hand, saddened by the fact that I had to save this one to toast with.

Seizing an opportunity that was not apparent previously I slowly backed the superfluous amount of taffeta my skirt was composed of into the small flame of the precious little lavender pillar table candle.

“I hope that this dream will flourish and become,” I continued, raising my glass high as my skirt burst into flame. Cries erupted and several guests rushed to douse me in any available liquid.

I added my champagne, smothered out the cinders off my dress with my hands, and rushed off the stage, my taffeta now melted into an abstract form whose close relative would no doubt someday be presented as art at the Met.

“Nicely done!” My husband winked at me as I made my way to the ladies room. He knows how much I hate giving speeches, it’s a draw between that and attending fancy weddings.

shelmack
    Participant

It didn’t come as any surprise when Bill asked me to give the speech at his wedding. (The bride is his ex wife). Hell, Bill and I had known each other in high school over fifteen years ago. So it seemed a natural request to ask me to do the honors and speak. The big question was what to say.

Describing Bill’s character, his witty humor and romantic talents was easy enough. Who didn’t like such a person as Bill. In school he was the person you could count on. If you needed help with a project or homework, call Bill. He would never turn you down. After high school he was still there for you. Once my car broke down and I called him as I was desperate to get some help. Without a complaint or even a second thought, Bill showed up in twenty minutes all smiles with a ”No problem. Let’s get you out of here.“ attitude.

Yup, Bill was one of a kind. Even in college his I’m there if you need me friendship never faltered. Whether it was moving into a new apartment or cramming for an exam, Bill was there.

No, the problem wasn’t Bill. The problem was his fiancée is my ex wife.

stubert
    Participant

I remember when I first met Dave’s mom, Nancy. Dave was a little guy, full of energy and a curiosity that I knew would be the death of me in the years to come.
    I was wrong, we took turns over the years leading each other on journeys through computers, wood working and lots of chores around the house and had a great time.
    When Dave asked me to be his best man, it said alot about our relationship over those years, and I thank you Dave, for this honor. I want you to know that I will always be here for you and Lucy, and of course, my grandchildren. In case you didn’t hear, yes, I said grandchildren!
    I’m playing a dual role today as Best man, and also the husband of the groom’s mo. So I am finding it hard to separate my rolls and have decided, I really don’t want to, I love them both.
    I was thinking about what I would say today, and I realized in my thoughts how important today is in the lives of Dave and Lucy, but also in our lives.
    A few years ago, Nancy wrote a book, on the history of the Lauer Family. A book she felt was a well researched historical account. Today a new page has been added to the Lauer, Chinea, and Carter history book, and I believe we all know this new page will be happy, and exciting for us all, especially for Dave and Lucy. You two have a lot of living to do together. This page in history will be recorded for all future generation. Fill it wisely, because Dave, you know your mom is taking notes, for her next book!
    So, I believe this is a good time to raise our glass and say Dave, Lucy, welcome to our families!

maggie_
    Participant

“Hello friends,” says Cari, pushing herself up from the table, a glass of champagne sloshing in her right hand. “I want to toast Lew and Linda, the happy bride and groom.

“Linda’s been my best friend since we were in kindergarten together, and, man, the stories I could tell. We pretended to be perfect role models for our peers while playing pranks on them. Strange, they never caught on. We were that good. When we picked up tests, we would deviously change answers.

“When a student challenged the teacher, saying, ‘I didn’t write that! That’s not my answer,’ Linda and I would smirk at each other, while the teacher said, ‘I can only go by what’s written.’ ‘But that’s not even my writing,’ the student protested. ‘Well, then, please explain to me how it got there.’ The student never could because no one would have believed that the two nicest girls in the class would have finagled it.

“Sometimes we would even stick a nail in the tire of a teacher we didn’t like. And all our shenanigans were our secret.

“You might think we would have stopped playing pranks at some point. We never did. Why, just last night while you guys were having your bachelor party with all those whores…” Linda’s face turns white, and she tries to get Cari’s attention, but Cari is too far in her cups to notice. “Anyway, Linda and I had the brilliant idea of disguising ourselves as whores and joining the party.

“Linda kept her eyes glued to Lew who at first was rather stand-offish, but as more drinks arrived and the girls began lap-dancing, Lew began to respond. Suddenly, his jeans became too small, and he pulled them down and sat the girl with no underwear right on his thingie, and you can guess where that lap dance progressed.

“Linda got even, though. In a throaty voice, she asked, ‘Hey, guys, what do you think of this?’ And she unzipped her dazzling gold dress and let it fall to the floor, revealing black stockings and garter. No need to say, the men went crazy and were on her like bats to caves. Yeah, she got even, all right.

“Me? Oh, I just had to get proof that Lew was ****ing, so I went over to him, pushed the whore aside, pulled him off his chair and did it right on the floor. He was so eager.”

At this point, Lew and Linda silently get up and leave. “Hey, guys,” I said, “I’m not through with my speech. That’s rudeness for you!”

Cheryl Bush
    Participant

Years ago, when Linda and I were single, young and carefree, we often talked about our future and what we would look for in a mate. We spent many hours contemplating just who that would be, what he would look like, where we would live, etc. I’m here today to say that Linda has found her perfect soul mate and she has married him today. I know Linda as well as she knows herself and I couldn’t have chosen a better mate for her than John. They are kindred spirits who belong together and I just know that they are going to have a long and happy life together. My wish for them is for them to be as happy as they are right at this very moment for the rest of their days.

jeffka02
    Participant

So here I am. A bridesmaid again. This time I got a promotion. Im now the maid of honor. This is the fifth hideous dress I had to plaster this fake smile onto my face and say that I love it. All this while wishing I would “accidentally” trip and ruin the damn thing. Who has canary yellow dresses in their wedding anyway? I sit here drumming my freshly manicured nails on the table before more and half listen to Doug, the best man delivering his speech. That same old B.S. about how they were meant to be together and hes so happy. Blah blah blah. I wish I had just said no. What was I thinking? I don’t even like her that much! With a nudge from my left, I realize that I have let myself get carried away in thoughts and I am late for my speech. Well, here I go. Holding my glass mid-air, I begin:
    “Well, I’m not really one for public speaking, but seeing as how I said yes to Dina, I guess I really have no choice.”
    A few chuckles from the guests. I wish someone would catch the bathroom on fire and get me out of this!
    “Well, these guys have been together for what, six-seven years now? I would say it’s about time. But in all honesty, I never though I’d see this day come. Hell I figured I would’ve been married by now with two point two kids.”
    More chuckles. ” But I guess that my dear old brother decided he would finally give into his warden. But I guess not everyone is lucky enough to find someone to take that plunge. I do wish you guys luck. I mean, what kind of sister would I be if i didn’t? So here’s to you.”
    Everyone lifts their glasses. As I sneak out the back, I wander how many strange looks I’ll get when I walk into the bar with this ugly dress on.

TellingOurStories
    Participant

Everything has to be a contest in my family. Seriously. Everything. Maybe that kind of thing happens whenever you take a bunch of people with different personalities and tell them that they have to like each other. I personally believe that it’s an Incan curse of some kind. Either way, there were times when it could get really bad.
    Such as my brother Fred’s wedding. Fred and Jane were an excellent couple. These aren’t real names, because as you will see, we have reason to protect our anonymity. Anyway, I was more than happy to get the chance to give a speech when Fred asked me to. It should have been a lovely occasion. But then my family’s competitveness messed up everything. And believe it or not, here’s how.
    I won’t go too carefully over my speech. Suffice it to say that it was reasonably innocuous. You know. The good times that I had with Fred. How wonderful Jane is. I’m sure that you guys will be totally happy together. Innocuous, but utterly heart-felt. When I had finished, my cousin Arthur came in.
    I won’t say that his speech was identical to mine, because there were in fact significant differences. In the wording. And nothing else. But we weren’t done yet.
    Because my father hadn’t quite thrown in his oar. “Two fine speeches!” he said. “However, they’re both missing something.” He took a long pause. But long pauses are only dramatic when there’s some suspense as to what’s going to come afterwards, and for us there was none. “Both of those fine, fine, only fine speeches are missing any reference at all the good Lord in heaven above! Because after all, what’s the use of giving a wedding speech unless that wedding speech indicates how the wedding is blessed by God? Because without that, such ‘fine’ speeches could be blessing the marriage of two people of the same gender, and there’s nothing fine about that. So let’s all have a toast to God! And heterosexuality!” Mother nudged him. “Oh. And, um, to you two, one man and one woman as well.”
    That certainly wasn’t the end. Next up would come in one of my other cousins, Bob, in predictable response. “Another toast! This one goes to rationality! Rationality and logic which, opposed, not aided by foolish blind faith led us from our state of primitives to our current state of having mastery, one might say dominion over the Earth and all things. Rationality! Guider of the greatest of human thought.” Someone nudged him. “And also guider of you two meeting. Because your coupling is, um, rational. Surely.”
    Before Father could reply, Aunt Helen was already toasting. “I give a toast to hate. We have come to celebrate the love of two wonderful young people, but what is the use of love when not composed to hate? Hatred, say, for a man, pardon, person, who never interacts civilly, who never cleans up, who never thinks, who never does anything but exist? Does not this hatred deserve equal recognition along with their love? Um, because of the opposite thing that I just mentioned towards the beginning.”
    Aunt Helen’s recently estranged husband hurriedly rose up. “I also offer a toast! A toast to speedy separations. Because, um… I guess the opposite thing that horrible, horrible creature just mentioned. Or whatnot.”
    Another cousin, Ethel, stood up before that argument could continue. I shall offer a similar toast. To myself. Because I am a wonderful person. I am working on a doctorate in science, and have recently published a book that may be purchased for 16.99 in hardback or a mere 7.99 in paperback and containing much useful and fascinating information that only one such as I could have written. Because, um, as a couple you will surely follow my example of stunning ability.
    Then it was my grandfather’s turn. “Oh yeah? I offer a toast to the year 1482. Although I wasn’t there I read about it, and I happen to know that that was a time when age was respected and people knew their place! Unlike these young whippersnappers nowadays with their skateboards and algebra and paperback books that cost money. Give me trade and bartering any day! Which is a good toast because, um, you two will be as good a couple as 1482 is good is a year. Whippersnappers!”
    And the next second, in a pure display of collective family love, the entire family stood to give many, many more toasts simultaneously and with increasing love represented by the passion of our voices. I say our because about halfway through this, I realized that somehow I was doing too, toasting not-plagiarism or not taking more cake than is your share or something. Meanwhile, the bride family, not feeling that it could compare to our love, stayed silent, and the bride and groom silently stole away. The curse had struck again.

abusavodskesk
    Participant

Ok. So first, I would like to start off by saying congratulations! And I, ahem, I, I think that you two really, really, I mean really, lucked out here.
    We all know how crazy relationships can get. The ups and downs, the struggles, the infidelity, the break-ups and make-ups… the protective orders
    No, I’m joking, I’m joking…ok, so not really! Like when Judy got drunk two nights ago and made out with my ex-boyfriend…Jules, I forgive you, babe.
    Got it! No…no, don’t boo. Please don’t boo me. Don’t boo. I know this is her third marriage and all, but, after you get to know her, she’s such a…
    she’s such a…oh, how can I keep this P.G., she’s such a lovely, lovely person when you’re not a) her friend b) her relative c) her neighbor
    or practically anyone in a 12 inch vicinity of her. Oh, and don’t think you can loan this chick money…key word here, LOAN! That means you pay it back, dumbass!
    Ok, I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m gonna keep this P.G. folks…I promise.
    Oscar, sweetie, you’re such a great catch too! Oscar is a great catch. This is the part where you all would say, “how great is he?”
    He’s so great, that just last Saturday, he was sucking face with my kid sister on her graduation day from Brown Law School. Yep, just last Saturday, the perv!
    You know I paid for her STD screening, right?
    Ok, you know what? You know What? If someone else throws one more fudging thing up here, I’m gonna come down there and…
    Oh, forget it….Judy, your rash is showing again, honey!
    Cheers!

Jpfore
    Participant

When Murray asked me to give a speech on this fine wedding here, with this fine cake (supposedly coconut cream), I didn’t hesitate because I knew I would do just fine. Would it be any other kind of speech, I’d be nervous right now, but with wedding speeches I am good. That is so because of two reasons. First of all, because I have always been good at improvising, so when Murray asked me to do the honor, it was my honor indeed so I sat down and promptly began to improvise this speech together. It is not done yet, but he only asked me two weeks ago, so I’m still in the “improvising” phase.

When I first met Murray, we were both working in the sales. Meaning, of course, that we were refilling shelves at a bigger store you all know from name, but some of us know by smell as well. I knew we would be good buddies from day one, but not because he was fine with any job, but because of two reasons. One: he wanted the night shift and Two: because he would have rather died than to put his shades down. Especially at night. In our spare time we hang out at the cash register, looking for customers to help with packing. It was a free service on our behalf, but after too many packs of cigs were gone missing, we were asked to stop. These charges were never proven, of course, but Murray still quit the job later on, despite the great career opportunities.

Well enough of the teen years though, because nearly ten years later we’re still buddies, and against all odds, you’ve managed to find the time to catch a girl who didn’t hear of your legacy. Congratulations Lynda.. Or was that Ashley..

No no, just kidding of course.

On a more serious note though, I’ve always envied him, because Murray is a catch. He’s got a great taste, he always spots the no-no girls, he can make great sushi, he’s got the best parties and the craziest drinking games. He also makes friends easy and he’s generous with the strippers.

Well I’ll go ahead and wrap it up because my snack senses are tingling, so let all my best wishes for you two be my bottom line here. On a last note though, Murray.. next time make it chocolate cake please, and Ashley if you need a best man for your next wedding, remember me, I really love your parents.

Here’s to the holly union, may it last longer than usual.

Jpfore
    Participant

When Murray asked me to give a speech on this fine wedding here, with this fine cake (supposedly coconut cream), I didn’t hesitate because I knew I would do just fine. Would it be any other kind of speech, I’d be nervous right now, but with wedding speeches I am good. That is so because of two reasons. First of all, because I have always been good at improvising, so when Murray asked me to do the honor, it was my honor indeed so I sat down and promptly began to improvise this speech together. It is not done yet, but he only asked me two weeks ago, so I’m still in the “improvising” phase.

When I first met Murray, we were both working in the sales. Meaning, of course, that we were refilling shelves at a bigger store you all know from name, but some of us know by smell as well. I knew we would be good buddies from day one, but not because he was fine with any job, but because of two reasons. One: he wanted the night shift and Two: because he would have rather died than to put his shades down. Especially at night. In our spare time we hang out at the cash register, looking for customers to help with packing. It was a free service on our behalf, but after too many packs of cigs were gone missing, we were asked to stop. These charges were never proven, of course, but Murray still quit the job later on, despite the great career opportunities.

Well enough of the teen years though, because nearly ten years later we’re still buddies, and against all odds, you’ve managed to find the time to catch a girl who didn’t hear of your legacy. Congratulations Lynda.. Or was that Ashley..

No no, just kidding of course.

On a more serious note though, I’ve always envied him, because Murray is a catch. He’s got a great taste, he always spots the no-no girls, he can make great sushi, he’s got the best parties and the craziest drinking games. He also makes friends easy and he’s generous with the strippers.

Well I’ll go ahead and wrap it up because my snack senses are tingling, so let all my best wishes for you two be my bottom line here. On a last note though, Murray.. next time make it chocolate cake please, and Ashley if you need a best man for your next wedding, remember me, I really love your parents.

Here’s to the holly union, may it last longer than usual.

wr44
    Participant

My dear friends, respectable elders,

Today, my friend has put me in an embarrassing situation of delivering a speech in his wedding. It is a rude shock to me. I am not used to public speaking. Anyhow I cannot ignore my friend’s legitimate wish.

Though we are friends and of the same age, I got married 7 years ago and now I have a son.Being the only son of my parents I was forced to get married at a very young age of 20, that was well below the marriage age stipulated by our government. But you had the responsibility of arranging the marriage of your three sisters. I know that you are an epitome of patience. I have no doubt that your marital life will be so smooth and you will be the happiest man in this world.

In our school and college days, you had always been jealous at me, just because I was the only son to my parents; I was a free bird and I had no responsibilities in my life just because I had no brothers and sisters; Dear friend I want to say something to you openly; just because I had no any sister or brother at my home, I had been a monopoly at home; enjoyed all alone; I had no competitors. Hence, when I got married, I could not adjust myself with my wife; I could not brook even the slightest manner of criticism; you are aware of all these things; just because of my adamant attitude, I had often quarreled with my wife and almost reached the point of no return, I mean I was about to divorce my wife within two years from the date of my marriage; but for your timely intervention and advice, I would have been a divorcee by this time.

You are such a nice friend and you are not in need of any advice in your life.

But I too have something for you by way of advice. As you used to say, for heaven’s sake don’t stop with just one child; have more children, at least two; If you stop with only one child , he will become yet another adamant fellow just like me.

Do you know that throughout my life I know only about friendship but I never know what is brotherhood or sisterhood; that is why I could not adjust with my wife and I had all sorts of troubles in my life.

That’s all, my friend. I am sorry that I had spoiled the joyous occasion your marriage  and your happy mood. But I felt that it was my duty to express my sincere thanks to you and I would not have had a better chance than this. My best wishes for your happy married life! All the best!    

Barb’s Britain
    Participant

I’ll never forget the first time I met Joseph. I was in prisoner transport, my hands were bound together, my face was bloody, and I didn’t even remember knocking over that liquor store, but as you all know, security tapes don’t lie. Now I had recognized him from my crack dealer’s house, but we had never actually had a conversation before that fateful night. When my eyes were swollen from the violent beatings i recieved that night to the point that I couldn’t see, good old Joseph was there with a razor that he had stuck up his ass to cut them open. Ever since then we’ve been the best of friends. Now him and I have been through all sorts of things together, prison, rehab, prison again, but nothing will ever top the time we broke into the old folk’s home to steal morphine and jewelry. As we were running from the police and various senior citizens, Joseph spotted a fantastic tree house to hide in. Little did we know, that tree house would be our home for the next three months. Some of my best memories were in that tree house, right up until that meth lab we had set up exploded and took my left arm and the lives of 4 outstanding Puerto Ricans whose names I can’t remember. At least I think it was our meth lab that blew up. At any rate, when Barnaby first told me he was getting married, I was a little skeptical. After all, I had seen him go through several marriages always walking away with everything his spouse held dear. But when I see the love in his eyes for…this girl whose name I can’t remember, I know that there’s a distinct possibility that this isn’t just another scam of his. Wait…where am I?

chidren’sbookfan
    Participant

“You have to do it. You’re my best friend. It wouldn’t be right otherwise.”

So the glass of frothy cheap champagne is trembling in my unsteady hand. I spy my best friend’s Uncle Jack, ripe with Parkinson’s disease. His glass shakes less than mine.

“To the luckiest woman in the world. Her life promises to be magical, blessed, and peaceful. She has found a man who knows what it means to treat a lady like a lady, to respect not only a woman’s emotions, but her very being.”

There are little plastic swans on all the tables, crammed with those chalky after dinner mints. I wonder if my breath smells…

“Julie is graceful and elegant and beyond all means, intelligent. She has always been a bright and shining reflection of what an accomplished young woman should be.”

The crotch of my pantyhose has shimmied down from its designated region, and I yearn to give it a good yank upward, to stem the flow of the most unappealing sweat I’ve ever felt.

“I’ve always wanted to be more like her. From the first moment we met.”

Back in college, she’d set the curve in my Physiological Psych class and I’d latched onto her in the hopes I’d pass by osmosis. We’d become friends. I’d introduced her to my other friends.

“She is even more wonderful still with Connor at her side.”

Connor…whom I had known since I could toddle in my diapers to the point where my front lawn became his. The one to blame for forcing me into giving this awkward, halting, elementary excuse for a wedding toast; this homage to The Woman I Would Never Be.

“So here’s to Julie, who today marries my best friend.”

My first date. My first kiss. My first everything.

“Cheers.”

And I feel bile rise in my throat as I give him away.

QueenLoser
    Participant

I’m happy for my friend, truly I am, but I wasn’t exactly thrilled when she asked me to give a toast at her wedding. I’m too dark on the inside for such happy gatherings and if she was my friend she’d realize this, but she didn’t. I remember the day as if it were yesterday. We met at the local cafe on a sunny day, a sunny day I’d rather be spending elsewhere but Grace begged and pleaded. “Elle, it would mean so much to me if you did this for me.” I knew Grace was smiling at this point. Her smile was small and innocent, but I couldn’t bear to look up. I was frustrated, lost at words annoyed and my pastry was feeling the wrath of my annoyance. I shredded the pastry, cherry goop with scattered on the plate. I realized I was quiet for too long and Grace would soon start begging again. “Fine. I’ll do it.” I gave in way too quickly. I really didn’t want to, but how could I say no? She was my friend; my closet friend and I had no choice. I’d also have no choice in what catastrophe of a maid of honor dress I’d be wearing.

I figured I would have to make up some nice things to say about Grace and Evan’s love for one another. It’s not that I didn’t believe in love because I was for certain what Grace and Evan had was love, but I never experienced it. Writing this speech was like pulling teeth for me. I didn’t want to sound fake, or make this out to be some Disney moment.

Nine months of wedding planning with Grace and I still had nothing to say. It wasn’t until the day of the wedding that I had to travel middle of nowhere, Iowa that I came up with something. I was on the plane when I scribbled something nervously onto the back of the airplane magazine.

Finally, it was show time. All eyes were on me and I was feeling panicky like I wanted to run. I took in a deep breath and walked up to the post with my speech and champagne glass clutched tightly in my hand. Apparently, for a quick second I blanked out because the microphone was handed to me out of nowhere. It was all or nothing…

“I’m not too sure why it is that Grace asked me to do this since she knows I’m a bit of a non believer when it comes to this fairy tale ending love thing, but here I am.” A few laughs escaped some of the wedding party’s mouths. I half smiled feeling this getting slightly easier. Laughter is good. “The truth of it is…I never believed in love but the way Evan and Grace look at each other makes me believe. Here’s to Grace and Evan for making love a believable thing. Cheers.” “Cheers!” The crowd clapped and Grace’s big doe eyes were watery.

EarthVillager
    Participant

“Ladies and gentlemen, Dan and Ann asked me to say a few words before dinner this evening.” Whoa.. now everyone is looking at me. Gotta get them to look at THEM.

” Just take a look at this happy couple tonight. Don’t they look adorable?” Everyone clapped and smiled. “Please hold your glasses high as we toast this fine looking couple as they start their lives together again for the second time in the last 10 years…. ” giggles abound from the audience ” may you two stay happy, healthy and MARRIED this time…. there are no more do overs allowed!” HERE HERE someone yells.

We all toasted the bride and groom… AGAIN….

trickster71
    Participant

Pamela held her breathe and took a long sip of her Cape Cod to calm her nerves. All eyes were on her everyone waiting for her to lift the mic and speak. She thought its now or never. With a quick breath in and a long one out she lifted the mic uncertianly and said,
    ” Welcome freinds … and family to the wedding of Jack and Mabel. A union that we all hope stands the test of time. As some may know Mabel is my sister but not only sister she is my best freind. Even though I was just a baby when she tried to smoother me with a stuffed polar bear I think muderous intentions aside she is the most loving wonderful woman.” She paused for the laughter took another deep breath.
    ” I remember when Jack first came home I passed through the living room giving her discreet thumbs up. I mean he was great of all I heard and finally seeing what a handsome and intellegent looking man she brought home I knew her search for a knight in shinning armour was over. and a month after that visit here we are whirl wind romance. Please take care of her Jack she is all that I have got.” Glassy eyed she looked at her sister. They shared a million words in thet one look.
    ” Let us toast to Jack and Mabel my the the happiness of this day radiate throughout their lives.” everyone broke into applause and tears were wipped away. Then band leader said, “and now lets hear from the best man.”

goodlehurd
    Participant

Prompt Your dearest friend has asked you to give a speech at his / her wedding

I thank John and Mary, the newly married couple, for giving me this wonderful opportunity to make a speech on this auspicious occasion. I think I‘ll fail in my duty if I don’t mention to you about my strong friendship with John. I‘ve known him for ten years now. We came to know each other one evening during a trip in the Metro. While John was coming back home from office, I spotted him as the guy who could help me find my way to Eglinton, an area new and quite unknown to me. He was very welcoming.
    When I told him I needed his help, he was very willing to do so and there started a friendly chat between us. Since then we met much often and gradually our friendship grew up and strengthened so much that that there wasn’t any single event in our lives which we weren’t aware of. We shared news and views and talked lengthily about funny, little incidents about girls or everyday events. I still remember the day when he announced me about his meeting with his dream girl whose name he muttered with elation and thrills.” She is called Mary” he said. I knew that my closest friend had succumbed to the bewitching spell of the lovely lady who is beside him now. He insisted that I should see the lady that would become his second half. Marvellous was that moment when I beheld the blue-eyed damsel with her long hair, smiling face and nice features. After a little chat with her, I was enthralled on hearing the honeyed words coming from her sweet voice. I knew from that very instant that there wouldn’t be a better life-partner for my friend John than this gorgeous lady. And to-day I’m sure you are certainly enchanted to see John and his ideal life partner bound by sacred rites to be always together.
    Allow me to tell our newly married couple that we are very proud of them for the wise decision they’ve taken to embark on a matrimonial life. Knowing their maturity, their common interests, their willingness to care for each other, their loving nature, we are fully convinced that their married life will be crowned with everlasting happiness and resounding success and it will be an exemplary one.
    I know you will heartily join me to express our warmest wishes and extend our blessings to them for a happy and harmonious married life

Sakaram Puddoo
    sakapud@hotmail.com

Noa
    Participant

Your closest friend has asked you to give a speech at his/her wedding.

Been there done that and I wish you better luck!!!!Also watch out for the green monsters in the closets. They are real Monsters!!!

bjwitham
    Participant

Ladies and Gentlemens,

We gathered here to celebrate the birth of a new soul in two bodies, those of my friends.
    I wish they’ll always look at the other with same eyes and they’ll remember why they choose to go through life together. And wisdom to confront safely, and courage to weather the storms. And healthy children. And love, lots of love.

rachee_babe
    Participant

Love between friends is the best love of all. Two souls becoming one spirit each unto the other this very day.
    Love between man and woman is the best love of all. I take you and you alone to walk this journey through life with me.
    Love between Husband and Wife is the best love of all. I give you my heart to hold, my hand to guide, and my spirit to comfort.
    Love, the best is yet to come.

sadia
    Participant

I looked over to Sara, looking nothing less than an angel in her dress, beaming brightly at me from next to her groom. I stood up. As Maid of Honor, and closest friend to the bride I had to make a speech, whether I liked it or not. I took a breath. I looked down to the paper.
    “This woman here, today you know her as the bride, or the groom’s, or just that funny looking woman in a white dress.” I paused as everyone laughed.
    I look over at Sara. Crumpling the paper up, I put it on a passing waiter’s platter and continue.
    “How did we meet? She was a counselor at a sleep away camp, and my first year there, I was a demon.” Laughter. Sara muttered “It’s true.” Smiling.
    “Long story short. We grew together and got closer than I could ever imagine. If we were being chased by zombies, I’d trip myself for her. And I bet that none of you got a single complaint about the wedding. She was bothered I’m sure by some of the things going on around her, but she accepted that her wedding wasn’t going to be perfect. And as a result, we got perfection.” I gestured to the room around us.
    “We should each take her example. And for being an amazing person, she was rewarded this guy,” I ruffled the groom’s hair, “And I gotta say I love this couple, even though I can’t say I know too much about him.”
    He interrupted, chuckling, “That’s probably because you would use that information for blackmail.”
    Everyone roared with laughter. I smiled.
    “True that, buddy, true that.” I went to stand behind Sara.
    “This woman here, today you know her as the bride, or the groom’s, or maybe just a funny looking woman in a white dress. But I know her as the bride, this groom is hers, not the other way around, and that she’s not funny looking. She’s beautiful, inside and out, and she is my closest friend.”
    Sara stood, and I saw she was crying. We embraced. The crowd applauded and cheered. Some had tissues out. I didn’t know that I was crying as well, until she wiped a tear from my cheek.
    “Forever.” She whispered in my ear.

Haskewtl
    Participant

I scratched my nose and hitched up my stupid bridesmaid dress with the dumb plastic lace. God, did it itch! I know have to look dignified, the perfect friend of the angelic bride Rebecca, but a girl had the right to scratch something that itched, doesn’t she?

As if it wasn’t bad enough that I have to look sophisticated (like I’m some English tea-drinking person) I’m supposed to give a speech at the wedding reception. What the heck does Rebecca want me to say? All I want to do is sit in the back of the restaurant, sip a beer, and neck with my boyfriend. I don’t have anything monumental in my mind. And to be honest with you, I haven’t got anything written down. Hell, I haven’t even thought about it till now!

“The bridesmaid of Mrs. Rebecca Robinson is Madison Mitchell, and she has a speech to make.” Rebecca’s father stepped down from the podium and suddenly everyone was looking at me.

I slowly removed my butt from the creaking fold up chair and walked to the podium. I am sure a death march was playing. This will be my end.

The microphone was loud. Too loud. I am sure it blew out everyone’s ears when I spoke.

“Hi ya’ll!” I waved at everyone. No one waved back. “So… here we all are, the wonderful friends and family of the most wonderful lady I know, Mrs. Rebecca Stein, er, I mean, uhhh, Robinson. Yeah, that’s it, Robinson! So, here we are the wonderful friends and family of Rebecca, and I am sure we are all proud of her fabulous pick of a husband, Randolph Robinson! Let’s give him a big cheer now!”

Tenative cheering.

“Randolph’s a great guy, I mean, I can’t blame Rebecca for picking him. Y’know, I dated him back in high-school, and he was a great boyfriend! Or was that Gerry? I can’t remember. I think I drank too much booze back then. Um, anyway, uhhhh, I hope ya’ll have a fabulous dinner, and uhhh, let’s hear it for Rebecca, the greatest woman in the whole wide world, who I cannot possibly compare with!”

Cheering. I am promptly ushered from the podium.

tinyringo
    Participant

when I needed to know how to write my own Maid Of Honor Speech, I needed all the help I could get. I had waited until the last minute to prepare my speech and was desperate for some advice.

I decided to share what I learned with you. And support all of Maid and Matron’s Of Honors to be to hopefully help you in preparing your wedding speech.

Thanks for sharing

Regd,
    Doug
    Maid Of Honor Speech

carpinteyrocqi
    Participant

Thorns Of A Wallflower

Right now, putting on a fake smile was more important than it had ever been.

“Uhhh…” I began, my eyes darting around as I viewed the crowd. I tugged up the slipping bodice of my lavender dress. My insides were writhing as if I’d swallowed a live snake. Public speeches always did this to me, but tonight there was another reason for my nerves to be on edge. I forced the corners of my mouth upwards.

“This… ummm, this whole speaking in public thing isn’t really my forte, but what are friends for, huh?” I said, trying to lighten up. “Anyway, I’d just like to wish two amazing people the best of luck in their marriage.”

My words were as fake as my smile, hiding my disdain for the beaming woman in white. Yes, we’d been friends once. Unlikely friends. Tanya, the girl with the permanent spring in her step, and me, Mousy Marcie as was my nickname. She’d tried to help me out of my shell by inviting me to parties. And that’s how I’d met Lewis. His confident grin, his jokes, his laid-back attitude drew me in, making my heart flutter. I’d meant to ask him out. But the time I’d spent practicing my words until I’d gotten them just right, without stammering, went to waste. The sight of him and Tanya kissing will remain forever burned into my memory. She hadn’t known how I felt about him, but still…

I’d tried to be happy for them, but constantly seeing them together proved to be too much. Even so, I kept up the facade of friendship, if only to get closer to Lewis. Now, envy seethed through me as he placed his arm around her shoulders.

“Tanya, throughout our high school and college years you’ve been the best friend anyone could wish for. Even if you do get me to make awkward public speeches.” The audience chuckled. “I’m really glad for you that you’ve found someone like Lewis to share your life with.” With clammy fingers, I raised my glass. “Congratulations you two!”

The couple grinned, clinking their champagne glasses together. As Tanya drank from hers, oblivious to what I’d slipped into it, I resisted the urge to smirk. She did have Lewis to share her life with… the last few hours of it.

The next morning, however, the ringing of my phone pulled me from my sleep. I stared at the name on the screen. Tanya. Hadn’t it worked?

“Hello?” I said groggily.

“Marcie?” came Tanya’s choked voice. “Oh, Marcie… Lewis, he… he’s… it happened last night… oh, God…” Her sobs cut off the rest of her sentence.

Horror chilled me to my core. The phone dropped from my hand to the bed. I’d gone and poisoned the wrong drink.

“Marcie? Marcie…?” the tearful voice continued.

The first thing I did was turn myself in. Now here I sit in a cold cell, cursing myself for my mistake.

Lewis… I’m sorry Lewis…

The forum ‘Writing Prompts and Challenges’ is closed to new topics and replies.