Apprehensive Newbie

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Introductions Apprehensive Newbie

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 months ago.

• Author

jmurph65641
    Participant

Hello fellow writers. I have been struggling with a few things in my own personal project and would like some help. I came from another writers forum. I left the last forum I was in because I was tired of not really receiving any actual help. So after a year of avoiding writers forums I would like to try a new one and dip a toe. I left the last forum because it seemed people were more interested in arguing their agendas into your questions and stories. I was literally politically attacked about a decision a male character of mine made by feminists and so I have a very low opinion of forums currently. I’m feeling quite burned by this and I am really apprehensive about joining another forum. I am more interested in leaving politics at the door and I would ask that people respect this. My goal is to write a book series where you can check your brain in at the door and forget about the stupid political climate of the world and it’s many issues. I feel the best literature and entertainment is defined by its well developed story and not by its agenda pushing. I want good clean fun in my writing.

One thing I have been struggling with lately is the topic of public domain. I have a question posted to yahoo answers right now found here [removed] if you want to take a crack at it.

If you don’t want to be redirected here is a copy:
    I am writing a Gods and Magic Fantasy and I am working on building the magic system as we speak. So I have some thoughts and questions. I want it to be mentally/visually striking and thought provoking at the same time. So I have created a lot of my own things but I also want it to include some real world occult imagery and such. Public domain images claim to be copyright free and free to use, but they also claim on some of these websites that you still need to find the owner, attribute it, and pay for a license if you are using it for commercial purposes. (One site said some of these images are hosted in libraries and that they require payment to use them outside of free use terms.) I am in a long haul process and can’t guarantee that my series will even be published or make money so I am hesitant to invest money on licenses for that kind of thing when I can invest my money in other areas of my project. I see a lot of video games, movies, and fiction use occult images all the time even if they make their own art and base it off of the original.
    So where can I find true free use occult images or stock photos for reference that can be potentially used in fiction and later published without worrying about copyright infringement or issues?
    I’m looking for mostly runes, circles, geometrical and mathematical images Hermetic, and Enochian styled stuff. I want to have a reference to design more of my own things and integrate some authenticity in my fiction.

I am also an artist and I can be found here: [removed] If you are on DA and want to chat or be friends add me 🙂 *Currently my page looks like a mess. I was gifted a core account there and have been messing with the layout. Sorry :/

ETA: No kidding on the spam… holy cow I’ve only been on for a little while and I’ve been pushed down the list by garbage… I’m sorry you guys are dealing with this. Its not the only site with the issue its bad on DA forums as well. I reported and got 6 accounts banned in one night on those forums. :/

AngelinaK52
    Participant

Welcome to the forums. You can now post anywhere.

We are hoping for a new site soon to crack down on the spambots.

jmurph65641
    Participant

Thank you and I wish you good luck on that! I know everyone is having problems, and its just awful. :/ I hope you will be able to find/get what you need.

Anonymous

LadySeshiiria wrote:
    > One thing I have been struggling with lately is the topic of public domain.
    > I have a question posted to yahoo answers right now found here [removed] if
    > you want to take a crack at it.
    >
    > If you don’t want to be redirected here is a copy:
    > I am writing a Gods and Magic Fantasy and I am working on building the
    > magic system as we speak. So I have some thoughts and questions. I want it
    > to be mentally/visually striking and thought provoking at the same time. So
    > I have created a lot of my own things but I also want it to include some
    > real world occult imagery and such. Public domain images claim to be
    > copyright free and free to use, but they also claim on some of these
    > websites that you still need to find the owner, attribute it, and pay for a
    > license if you are using it for commercial purposes. (One site said some of
    > these images are hosted in libraries and that they require payment to use
    > them outside of free use terms.) I am in a long haul process and can’t
    > guarantee that my series will even be published or make money so I am
    > hesitant to invest money on licenses for that kind of thing when I can
    > invest my money in other areas of my project. I see a lot of video games,
    > movies, and fiction use occult images all the time even if they make their
    > own art and base it off of the original.
    > So where can I find true free use occult images or stock photos for
    > reference that can be potentially used in fiction and later published
    > without worrying about copyright infringement or issues?
    > I’m looking for mostly runes, circles, geometrical and mathematical images
    > Hermetic, and Enochian styled stuff. I want to have a reference to design
    > more of my own things and integrate some authenticity in my fiction.

Welcome!

I know how hard it can be to create a personal page. Keep on working. And check with whomever is hosting for you. They may be willing to help you out. A couple of hosts I know give new members a couple hours of consulting for stuff like that.

As for your public domain question, public domain works do NOT need to be licensed. That said, if you know who owns the image, I think it’s a good idea to ask for permission, just for the sake of politeness. But, legally, it wouldn’t be required.

The US Copyright Office has a great site for something like this. But, for visual works at least, it appears that the law is still evolving, somewhat. If you look at their visual works page, they are actually seeking comment:

https://www.copyright.gov/policy/visualworks/

If you intend to publish, you’re probably well advised to try to find a copyright holder. Due diligence. And don’t just go by what people say. Get everything in writing.

Also, consider musical performances. Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony is public domain. The New York Philharmonic’s playing of it in 2017 is not. Likewise, a pentagram in general is probably public domain. But if a pentagram is used (for example) as a company logo (perhaps with 3/4″ lines in a particular shade of red), then that logo is copyrighted, and may also be trademarked (note that these are two different legal principles).

Look carefully at any image you choose. If there’s a signature in the corner (either literally or figuratively) expect a copyright and look for it.

If you opt to self-publish this, realize that you’re out there all alone if someone claims copyright (or trademark) on an image. If you go with an agent and/or publisher, they’ll be with you in any dispute (although they have an annoying, to us writers, habit of rejecting included images and “advising” us to use images they pick).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.