2018 Writers’ Lounge

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party 2018 Writers’ Lounge

This topic contains 53 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Noizchild 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Author

debbieolch
    Participant

New for 2018.

Anonymous

Sweet, man!

Anonymous

Greeting everyone. I hope 2018 brings out the best in your writing efforts.

Anonymous

I’m having a good month so far.

Anonymous

It looks like things have been kind of quiet on here. I hope everyone is doing well. As for me I still haven’t got back into things just yet, but I’m trying. :mrgreen:

Anonymous

I was just wondering how you were doing.
    Good to see you here.

Anonymous

I dusted off my Linkedin profile.

Armonkl
    Participant

Hi im new here. Whats the lounge for?

cypher
    Participant

thorn wrote:
    > Hi im new here. Whats the lounge for?

It’s a chat room, to keep in touch with each other and ask other writer-related questions that are not covered on the other boards. Welcome to this part of the Forum. ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

My shirt’s still wet.

Armonkl
    Participant

Noizchild wrote:
    > My shirt’s still wet.
    If it makes u feel any better, I just got back after being in the rain and rolling around in the mud for an hour, soaked to the bones and dried mud caked to my skin.

Anonymous

Great description, Thorn. It put a little sunshine on this otherwise dreary day.

Anonymous

thorn wrote:
    > Noizchild wrote:
    > > My shirt’s still wet.
    > If it makes u feel any better, I just got back after being in the rain and rolling
    > around in the mud for an hour, soaked to the bones and dried mud caked to my skin.

Wow!

Anonymous

*Waves a half-hearted, belated happy new year*
    Currently back in UK as there has been some sadness at Chez Motty. At the end of January, I was summoned back to UK as my father took very ill. Sadly, he passed away at the start of the month. At moment all is on hold with writing, uni, Freyja becoming a well-rounded french doggy *cough*never gonna happen*cough*

cypher
    Participant

Lbeauchesne wrote:
    > *Waves a half-hearted, belated happy new year*
    > Currently back in UK as there has been some sadness at Chez Motty. At the
    > end of January, I was summoned back to UK as my father took very ill.
    > Sadly, he passed away at the start of the month. At moment all is on hold
    > with writing, uni, Freyja becoming a well-rounded french doggy *cough*never
    > gonna happen*cough*

So sorry to read this MissMotty (you will always be MissMotty to me) and I offer my sincere condolences. It’s hard to lose a father.
    While you are in England, though, please pop in and join in the chatter like you used to.

Anonymous

My site maintenance is coming along.

Anonymous

Lbeauchesne wrote:
    > *Waves a half-hearted, belated happy new year*
    > Currently back in UK as there has been some sadness at Chez Motty. At the
    > end of January, I was summoned back to UK as my father took very ill.
    > Sadly, he passed away at the start of the month. At moment all is on hold
    > with writing, uni, Freyja becoming a well-rounded french doggy *cough*never
    > gonna happen*cough*

Sorry for your loss Miss Motty. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Anonymous

One section of the site finished, a lot more to go.

Anonymous

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!! :mrgreen:

Anonymous

I worked hard today.

khwybebm50
    Participant

On that note (working hard– ) working for a major company we take multiple online customer service chats simultaneously pretty much all shift every day. Some businesses with online customer service & project research chat availability will take in two chats simultaneously others take three per online customer service rep(i.e. CenturyLink & some other major retail business names you’d recognize easily), and every so often at work get “unique” chats in. However, I seem to get the strangest ones more often than my teammates. Yesterday morning, early in my shift, I received a unique-funny, not unique-strange or, um explicit unrelated to absolutely anything we do.

Instead of customer name in the name field (so we know how to address them), it was a phone number, the area code was from a neighboring state, and went like this:

(me) standard greeting ending with ‘and how may I help you?
    (customer) Love you!
    (me) How may I be of assistance this morning?
    (customer) No thanks!
    (me) standard chat closing wishing the customer a happy day.

LOL!!!!!

Anonymous

Camp is going great and work is getting done.

Anonymous

Back in France. I arrived back a few weeks ago. Have been unwell, so thankful of uni allowing me to restart MRes in September. The upshot of a number of doctor visits is that OH is now sulking because bread is one of a number of banned substances in the home, due to my diagnosis of Coeliac disease. This means that he has to go out for breakfast if he wants “proper French breakfast”. On the plus side, given there is now only gluten-free bread in the house (which I have told OH is horrid), the current toaster is the first we have had to survive more than 2 months ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

Lbeauchesne wrote:
    > Back in France. I arrived back a few weeks ago. Have been unwell, so
    > thankful of uni allowing me to restart MRes in September. The upshot of a
    > number of doctor visits is that OH is now sulking because bread is one of a
    > number of banned substances in the home, due to my diagnosis of Coeliac
    > disease. This means that he has to go out for breakfast if he wants
    > “proper French breakfast”. On the plus side, given there is now
    > only gluten-free bread in the house (which I have told OH is horrid), the
    > current toaster is the first we have had to survive more than 2 months ๐Ÿ˜€

No bread and in France has got to be rough. I imagine you’ll adapt but I certainly feel for you.

Anonymous

I’m about done with this short story I’m writing. I plan to be done by tomorrow.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Noizchild wrote:
    > I’m about done with this short story I’m writing. I plan to be done by
    > tomorrow.

That’s great! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

I finally finished it yesterday.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Noizchild wrote:
    > I finally finished it yesterday.

Good job! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

Now to finish the collection.

maxiuomc48
    Participant

Noizchild wrote:
    > Now to finish the collection.

Keep up the writing, I’m rooting for you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Anonymous

Thank you, I have two stories left.

Anonymous

Rosedarling wrote:
    > Lbeauchesne wrote:
    > > Back in France. I arrived back a few weeks ago. Have been unwell, so
    > > thankful of uni allowing me to restart MRes in September. The upshot of a
    > > number of doctor visits is that OH is now sulking because bread is one of a
    > > number of banned substances in the home, due to my diagnosis of Coeliac
    > > disease. This means that he has to go out for breakfast if he wants
    > > “proper French breakfast”. On the plus side, given there is now
    > > only gluten-free bread in the house (which I have told OH is horrid), the
    > > current toaster is the first we have had to survive more than 2 months ๐Ÿ˜€
    >
    > No bread and in France has got to be rough. I imagine you’ll adapt but I certainly
    > feel for you.

I’m grateful for living in a city. That said, there’s still not many people who understand when I ask at a restaurant on our one night a week out if something is “sans gluten”. I am also grateful, as much as many people don’t like them, for Amazon.

Anonymous

New month, new projects.

margery65w
    Participant

Lbeauchesne wrote:
    > Rosedarling wrote:
    > > Lbeauchesne wrote:
    > > > Back in France. I arrived back a few weeks ago. Have been unwell, so
    > > > thankful of uni allowing me to restart MRes in September. The upshot of a
    > > > number of doctor visits is that OH is now sulking because bread is one of a
    > > > number of banned substances in the home, due to my diagnosis of Coeliac
    > > > disease. This means that he has to go out for breakfast if he wants
    > > > “proper French breakfast”. On the plus side, given there is now
    > > > only gluten-free bread in the house (which I have told OH is horrid), the
    > > > current toaster is the first we have had to survive more than 2 months ๐Ÿ˜€
    > >
    > > No bread and in France has got to be rough. I imagine you’ll adapt but I
    > certainly
    > > feel for you.
    >
    > I’m grateful for living in a city. That said, there’s still not many people who
    > understand when I ask at a restaurant on our one night a week out if something is
    > “sans gluten”. I am also grateful, as much as many people don’t like them,
    > for Amazon.

Move to the USA. Everybody is on the gluten free bandwagon.
    One store even sold gluten free water:) Really! That is what the label said.

Many restaurants have gluten free menus these days. Mostly its a fad.
    The number of people who really have celiac is very small. Some more have some lack of tolerance.
    And the number who claim to have problems is much greater than reality, which makes it harder for
    those who do have it to get much sympathy.

Anonymous

New projects this month. I might get some things done too.

Anonymous

noobienieuw wrote:
    > Lbeauchesne wrote:
    > > Rosedarling wrote:
    > > > Lbeauchesne wrote:
    > > > > Back in France. I arrived back a few weeks ago. Have been unwell, so
    > > > > thankful of uni allowing me to restart MRes in September. The upshot
    > of a
    > > > > number of doctor visits is that OH is now sulking because bread is one
    > of a
    > > > > number of banned substances in the home, due to my diagnosis of
    > Coeliac
    > > > > disease. This means that he has to go out for breakfast if he wants
    > > > > “proper French breakfast”. On the plus side, given there is
    > now
    > > > > only gluten-free bread in the house (which I have told OH is horrid),
    > the
    > > > > current toaster is the first we have had to survive more than 2 months
    > ๐Ÿ˜€
    > > >
    > > > No bread and in France has got to be rough. I imagine you’ll adapt but I
    > > certainly
    > > > feel for you.
    > >
    > > I’m grateful for living in a city. That said, there’s still not many people who
    > > understand when I ask at a restaurant on our one night a week out if something
    > is
    > > “sans gluten”. I am also grateful, as much as many people don’t like
    > them,
    > > for Amazon.
    >
    > Move to the USA. Everybody is on the gluten free bandwagon.
    > One store even sold gluten free water:) Really! That is what the label said.
    >
    > Many restaurants have gluten free menus these days. Mostly its a fad.
    > The number of people who really have celiac is very small. Some more have some lack
    > of tolerance.
    > And the number who claim to have problems is much greater than reality, which makes
    > it harder for
    > those who do have it to get much sympathy.

That may be the case, but I’ve always felt that anyone claiming “gluten free” to have more money than sense. We have a couple of restaurants in La Rochelle that have gluten free options. Most of the others are getting better at understanding when I ask, and we haven’t had too many issues. Freyja collie wouldn’t cope with the USA. She thinks La Rochelle is doggy heaven because there is saucisson and cheese and fish and saucisson and…

Anonymous

Today went much better.

Noizchild
    Participant

Let’s see if this goes through.

Looks like the Writer’s Lounge and the Reading Challenge has dried up into ghost towns.

I can almost see the tumbleweeds rolling in the wind. ๐Ÿ™

Noizchild
    Participant

There is an annoying fly flying around me.

Where have all teh people gone? ๐Ÿ™

Noizchild
    Participant

Trying to get access to post.

Rob Vargas

@noizchild:
    There’s no doubt that these forums still have issues. Your posts are not helping.

Try to come up with something to discuss that doesn’t look like you inadvertantly posted here instead of Twitter.

lbeauschene
    Participant

Currently waiting to find out if the funding for my original MRes will be available in September or if I need to submit a new subject. As a result, I’m in discussion with friends and colleagues in France, UK and Germany about possible alternative subjects. Current consensus is, there is little to no study into my original subject, so it should stand, but funding bodies are a law unto themselves, so it would make sense to have an alternative. These discussions led to an “invasion” of La Rochelle as it has been deemed a subject requiring firsthand knowledge of the area. This is a very technical student term for “visiting a friend and getting drunk and recovering from the hangover with coffee, cheese, saucisson and pastries on the beach.” In Freyja-collie speak, this means an excuse to achieve her life long ambition of being fat as she shamelessly “thin faces” every one into giving her all the cheese and sausages she can eat. After 3 days, we are no closer to coming up with an alternative subject, but I now have 7 new ideas for novels.

Noizchild
    Participant

@rob Vargas, I did post a topic in the Tips section.

Rob Vargas

Then why the post “testing” if you can post?

Look, you haven’t broken any rules. I’m not going to delete these posts nor are you even close to being “moderated” in any way. Not by me.

As I told others, these forums need discussions, conversations, if they’re going to succeed.

I’m going to push for that. We can’t make these forums work right. We can’t alter the usability. But we CAN make posts that invite participation. So let’s do what we can do.

wdarcy
    Participant

I want to second what Rob just said. The only way this forum will go on at all is if we have discussions and conversations. Even arguments and disagreements, as long as they’re civil. But posting about flies buzzing around does not invite participation. Save that stuff for Twitter and Facebook. This forum is about writing–both the craft and the business.

–Warren

Noizchild
    Participant

@rob Vargas, before when I didn’t have permission to post and applied for it, I wasn’t sure if I was approved and I had been posting before and it wouldn’t post. Hence why the testing post.

Rob Vargas

Testing post? You posted three off-topic posts within two hours.

I go back to my first response: That isn’t helping.

Noizchild
    Participant

This was before I realized that I had to get permissions to post. When I clicked post, it never came up.

lbeauschene
    Participant

I finally received a decision on the funding for my MRes. Sadly, the study area I was hoping to resume (the effects of chemicals and rising sea temperature on marine life) has been turned down. Fortunately, my second choice has been approved, so I will be looking into the genetics and behavioural traits of sport horses and why some lines are favoured over others. The funding panel were “intrigued by the applicants hypothesis that there is a gene present in these lines that makes horses from those lines susceptible to undesirable training practises through a willingness to please.” The uni are particularly happy to be the centre for a study which could potentially have a far reaching impact on sport horse breeding round the world.
    In other news, one of the novel ideas that was started with the invasion of La Rochelle has started to take shape. OH says he knows it will be a good idea as I’m only 5,000 words in and I’m already nit picking and writing a list of places I need to visit!

Noizchild
    Participant

MRes? What are those?

lbeauschene
    Participant

A MRes is short for Master of Research.

Noizchild
    Participant

Ah, I see.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.