Re: Re: Writers’ Block?

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Writers’ Block? Re: Re: Writers’ Block?

Bed Bug Dog NYC 5p
Participant

@mfarraday wrote:

I believe in writer’s block. I don’t really understand the point of saying you don’t believe in it. If you have never experienced it, that’s great! If you do have it, you know what it is to have a huge blank page in front of you and to know not where you want to start.

I have always been able to overcome my writer’s block, but I do believe it exists. I have a variety of methods for getting past it, the main one being, I try to write something that interests/excites/amuses me. If it doesn’t interest me, well then what’s the point? But I can find a story to be very complicated/convoluted and confusing, not understand where I’m supposed to take it, and then end up struggling quite a bit. There are times when I get really scared about sitting down and doing the work. But somehow I always get to where I want to go, in the end.

It doesn’t exist. In fact, there was a time not so long ago when no one ever claimed to have writer’s block. Not even the clinical kind that stops anyone from writing anything. Even a forum post.

The history of “writer’s block” is clear and well-defined. We can trace it from the very first recorded case, right through to the point where everyday writers started claiming they had it. We know when this started, why this started, and how it spread.

You’re sort of proving the point. Not knowing where you want to start is not writer’s block, it’s simply not making a decision. Getting stumped, and taking a day or two to think things over, is also not writer’s block.

Writer’s block does not exist because any writer can, simply by choosing to do so, sit down and write the next sentence. And then the next and the next and the next.

All “writer’s block” really means is that the writer chose not to do this. Instead of writing the next sentence, the writer stopped, got up, and went to do something else.

If you want to cure writer’s block instantly, get a high-paying job where you either write the next sentence on time or get fired. Of get a book contract where you either meet the deadline, or you lose fifty thousand dollars. . .or a lot more, if the book sells well enough. Or, as Mickey Spillane once said, have your accountant tell you your bank account is dwindling fast.

Most writers, especially new writers, don’t have to write that next sentence, so all too often, they don’t.