Re: Re: religion — enter at your own risk

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Take it Outside! religion — enter at your own risk Re: Re: religion — enter at your own risk

cayellow
Participant

Elibet – 2009-03-25 9:16 AM

Plabius – 2009-03-25 8:08 AM

pat roe – 2009-03-24 9:03 PM

Hi Raymondstary,

More accurately, He dealt mercifully with the repentant.

Does that statement mean: If a person has committed great atrocities and at the very last moment of his life, he asks forgiveness and repents his atrocities against mankind, he is forgiven. Some religion teach this ‘absolute’ without saying ‘only if you’re heart is true, this will this occur.’

Confession and repentance should not be synonymous.

Please enlighten me.

You’re right: confession and repentance are not synonymous.

Repentance is an act of contrition: it is the soul acknowledging that it has committed sin, which is dsipleasing to God.  This recognition, if true, is accompanied by grief and sorrow.  The truly penitent is pained when aware that he has offended God.

Confession is the act of communicating this acknowledgement of sin to God, for the purpose of obtaining forgiveness and grace.  The acknowledgment of one’s sin(s) to God is an offering of the soul, a sacrifice of the self, intended to reestablish the sinner in a right relationship with God.  In sin, the soul is damaged.  In repentence, this is recognized and agrieved.  In confession, the damaged soul is offered to God for healing, as we cannot heal ourselves.

Thus, if the act of confession springs forth from a contrite heart; if the confessor feels truly the grief, pain, and misery of his sin; if he acknowledges his harm to himself and others; if he acts not with a view to rescuing himself from punishment, but with a view to sacrificing his soul unto God, without regard to what consequnces, including ounishment, may attend the confession and sacrifice; then God will embrace him with grace and forgiveness and love.

Plabius, If, if, if, if,??? I always thought that the only qualification for salvation was that: All who call (believe) on the Name of the Lord shall be saved. Can you lead me in the Word of God to where it gives all the ifs you mentioned? I don’t remember reading them. And if they are there I’d like to read them. James 2:13 Mercy triumps over judgement:) Elizabeth

You’ll probably need to sit down for this one, Liz.

All of those “ifs” … are the same “if”!  They are one, single “if” that I separated into its components in order to examine and explain it. (Remember, I’m a philosopher, I do that sort of thing!)

One of the things that I’ve learned about you from reading your posts in this thread, and by reading the questions that you ask, is that you (and many others here) seem to be something of a Literalist when it comes to the Bible.  Because of this, you probably won’t see much of what you are asking me for in the Scripture references that I am about to give you, but all of it is there.  Ponder and reflect.  Deeply consider things. 

Here are a few (and remember, mine is the Catholic Bible; I’m including a reference to two books that were excluded from of the King James):

Acts 2:38.
II Corinthians 7:10
Ecclesiasticus (Sirach) 16:13, 15
Ezechiel 18:21-24 and 33:11-16
Joel 2:12-13
I John 1:5-10
Luke 7:37-50 and 13:3 and 18:10-14 and 22:61-62
Psalm 31:5 and 33:19 and 50:19
Wisdom 11:24