Re: Re: religion — enter at your own risk

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Take it Outside! religion — enter at your own risk Re: Re: religion — enter at your own risk

Bruce
Participant

Blueocean – 2009-03-25 9:47 AM

The greek word for faith and believe are the same word. We seperate the two, using one as a noun, and the other as a verb. In reality, the greek word is a verb. To Believe in something is to act on that belief. I don’t believe that a one time acceptance of Jesus Christ as your Personal Savior constitutes salvation. It’s a life-long dedication to becoming more and more like Jesus.

I was approached by a group one time, (I won’t say who it was, but it was painfully obvious) who asked if I was saved.

I said, Yes, I’ve repented, Been baptized, and been filled with the Holy Spirit, just like it says in Acts 2:38.

The man quickly turned angry. “So, you’re depending on your baptism to save you?” he asked.

“No,” I said, “I’m depending on my obedience to the scriptures to save me.”

The man flat out told me, “You’re going to split hell wide open.” Yes, those were his exact words.

“Let me ask you something,” I said. “Let’s say for a moment that you’re right, and all I have to do is accept Jesus, and Believe in Him. Well, I’ve done that, and you’ve done that, so we’re both safe. But let’s assume there’s more to it than that, and you DO have to be baptized in Jesus’ name, and live you life for God, and do everything he commands, not just pick and choose, and say some parts don’t apply to us today. If that’s the case, I’m still safe, but you have to ask yourself, are you? Yes, we’ll stumble and sin from time to time. That’s why we have to repent daily. We’re not going to be perfect until we get to Heaven, but we’re supposed to give it our best effort while here on Earth.”

At that point, a few of his buddies came over and started trying to justify their beliefs.

Needless to say, it didn’t end well.

My point in all of this is; There’s more to being a Christian than saying a sinner’s prayer and then living however you want. It’s the “Once saved, always saved” doctrine. I don’t agree with it. It falls under the category of “Easy Beliveism.”

Amanda,
I can’t even begin to imagine who those people were, but I doubt very much they were aquainted with the Holy Spirit. Sorry you had such a bad experience.

The only qualification to be saved is to accept the Son of God as your Savior. There is no other requirement. Now, of course there are people who do not understand the whole Truth of that statement and who using head knowledge say the words and think they are saved. They have to believe in their hearts that Jesus is Lord. Which boils it back down to believing. The process causes the person to be born of the Spirit of God. And when that happens the person’s character changes and their behavior changes. They become new people. The old has gone the new has taken over. The Word says that by their fruit you will know them. Which should be Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. It’s as simple as that. We Christians do continue to sin as we work out our salvation (keep trusting) that is why we are told that if we confess our sin He is Faithful and Just to forgive us and Cleanse us of our sin and all unrighteousness. And down through the years we become more and more like Jesus.

Elizabeth