Re: Re: religion — enter at your own risk

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Take it Outside! religion — enter at your own risk Re: Re: religion — enter at your own risk

barb schmeling
Participant

Elibet – 2009-03-23 1:57 AM

pat roe – 2009-03-23 12:24 AM

Hi Elibet,

Matthew 7:6

As to my question :emoticon: I was wondering more about the part that says, ‘Do not’ throw your pearls to pigs:) I wonder, has anyone ever done a sermon on just that? Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,  To answer your question about Matt 7: 6 “Do Not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet and TEAR you to pieces.

My understanding is this: Some discrimination in preaching the gospel is necessary. To preach the gospel to those who manifest a contemptuous blasphemy toward it is not only to cheapen it, but also to endanger ourselves. The two metaphors [dogs, swine] are Jewish. They refer to totally unreceptive persons, Jew or Gentile.

When we try to witness or preach to those that have no desire to hear the Good News, it’s the same as casting pearls before the swine. Also, until the Holy Spirit has convicted and drawn a person to hear the Word, the same thing can be likened unto also. Jesus spoke more against the religious sect of people then He did any sinners. Religious [self-righteous] people prefer to agrue rather than reason together.

Blessings! 🙂