Re: Re: Better Than You 4/14-4/20

Home Forums Motivation Station Writing Prompts and Challenges Better Than You 4/14-4/20 Re: Re: Better Than You 4/14-4/20

Nahid
Participant

Jimmy giggled and I elbowed him, “Shut up!” I whispered, “We’re gonna get caught.”
We both looked towards the front counter where the clerk was busy ringing up a patron. There was a line of early morning commuters, adults, who were busy paying for their gas or buying cigarettes (cancer sticks, my mom would say) or lottery tickets. It was the first week of summer vacation and we were still shell-shocked with vacation joy and the good fortune of mischief.
“This is the wrong aisle,” Jimmy said and we went toward the back of the store.
The back of the store was lined with a wall long line of refrigerator doors. On the far right, closest to the checkout counter was the beer and chilled wines. Next to that were the sodas, ice and assorted sports drinks. We stopped in front of the Power Aids and Arizona Iced Teas and opened the bag.
“Put them on the floor,” he said, excited.
We discarded the contents and made our way to the candy aisle. I grabbed a chocolate bar and Jimmy a pack of bubble gum. We could share later. Joining the line of adults I noticed looks from the adults; we were young but not too young and Jimmy attracted a lot of attention with his bright red hair and early acne.
At the counter, “That’ll be a dollar forty-seven,” the clerk said, bored.
From behind came a shout, “Oh ****! What the hell…”
I turned and tried to put on my best concerned, innocent look that had been practiced in front of my sister’s mirror yesterday afternoon.
A man in a suit and tie pushed to the front of the counter and said, “What kind of store are you running? I could have tripped over that shit.”
The clerk, “Sir, is there problem?”
I was holding the laughs in check when Jimmy let loose with a peal of hee haws that turned all heads.
The clerk turned on us, “What did you kids do?”
I dropped the Three Musketeers on the counter and ran, this was the plan, if caught run. Jimmy sprinted next to me as we zipped out the door and to our bikes, laughing as went.
“That was great! That was great!” yelled Jimmy as we pedaled towards the shelter of our street. “Did you see it!” I was grinning like a fool, a free fool who had pulled off the caper of the century. We had discovered the novelty store over Easter Break and had more plastic dog turds, fake vomit and assorted weapons of amusement. It was going to be a great summer.