Re: Favorite Reads of 2007

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Book Discussion Favorite Reads of 2007 Re: Favorite Reads of 2007

BarbieAnnScriptchic
Participant

Georganna had put up a post regarding top ten lists. That got me to thinking about my favorites of this past year. I don’t have a top ten, just a single favorite in several categories.

Here are my favorites for 2007, what are some of yours?

My favorite Non-fiction read for 2007 has to be The Canon by Natalie Angier. I got it from my local library in audiobook format. Reading this gave me an awe filled sense of the world around me. The immensity of the universe is addressed particularly well.

My favorite Literary Fiction read for 2007 would have to be Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Sara bounces back and forth on the main characters timeline with great ease to tell the story of a Depression Era Circus Veterinarian. If there is a hero in the story, it’s Rosie.

My favorite Fantasy Fiction read for 2007 I believe is Stardust by Neil Gaiman. It is a modern adult fairy tale about what a man will do for love. I had to read it before the movie came out…

My favorite Horror read for 2007 has to be Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeffry P. Lindsay. This might have been the best audiobook narration as well. Dexter is a Blood Spatter Expert working for the police. It’s a job that keeps him close to his urges, see, he likes to… well… get the book.

I have a couple of favorite short stories I read in 2007. The first can be found in the first volume of Read by Dawn hosted by Ramsey Campbell and is called The Seventh Green at Lost Lakes by Scott Brendell. The second can be found in a collection called 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill and is called Pop Art.

My commute to work is roughly forty-five minutes one way, so I do a lot of my reading via audiobook. I put them on hold at my library’s website and they email me when they are ready for pickup. I find that I drive at a more respectable speed and have never gotten a speeding ticket while “reading”.

So, what are your favorite reads of 2007?