Reply To: Teh state of teh Science Fiction & Fantasy market, Or eBooks they are a gainin'

Home Forums Writer’s Digest Forum Writers’ Block Party Teh state of teh Science Fiction & Fantasy market, Or eBooks they are a gainin' Reply To: Teh state of teh Science Fiction & Fantasy market, Or eBooks they are a gainin'

Rob Vargas

This reads more like an advertisement than a discussion.

I’m not putting on my moderator hat when I that. I mean that it seems to be more trying to convince than to discuss.

It leaves me wondering why I should bother to respond.

See, I don’t think ebook sales should be ignored. They are a permanent fixture in the reader markets across a great many genres.

But… reading is an experience. Not just visual. There’s some tactile to it as well.

So what final share will ebooks have? Can’t say. There’ve been ups, such as described here. And downs, as described by CNN a while back:

Sales of consumer e-books plunged 17% in the U.K. in 2016, according to the Publishers Association. Sales of physical books and journals went up by 7% over the same period, while children’s books surged 16%.

The same trend is on display in the U.S., where e-book sales declined 18.7% over the first nine months of 2016, according to the Association of American Publishers. Paperback sales were up 7.5% over the same period, and hardback sales increased 4.1%.

This isn’t an either/or proposition, despite what AuthorEarnings famously (infamously?) wants to say. Frankly, I think we’re better off having both forms of literature.