California

We're looking for the hottest literary hot spots across the U.S. and need your help.
SG Cardin
Private First Class

RE: California

Postby SG Cardin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:18 am

Susan,

I was just up at Clear Lake this past Thanksgiving day weekend. It's very scenic. It reminded me of back home, New Hampshire, and that's always good to inspire the muse.  I agree - it would be a nice spot.

Steph

SG Cardin
Private First Class

Postby SG Cardin » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:20 am

Name of City/Town: Wine Country - Sonoma/Napa Counties

Name of Hot Spot: None particuliar - just seeing nature and it's beauty is inspiring to me.

What makes this spot so great for writers? I get a lot of inspiration seeing nature, feeling it, being in it.  The Napa/Sonoma counties are gorgeous and seeing the vineyards always puts me in a mood to write.

Steph

Susan
General

Postby Susan » Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:33 pm

Hi Steph:

Clearlake is very scenic. I am up there a lot from Santa Rosa, as my boyfriend lives there.  If you go back there, go to Wild About Books, it's on Olympic Drive.  My friend, Ellen, is the owner.

SG Cardin
Private First Class

Postby SG Cardin » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:47 am

We have plans to go back in April so I will definately check it out!
Steph

purplelizard
Private E-1

Postby purplelizard » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:25 am

Name of City/Town: Cupertino, CA
Name of Hot Spot: It's a Grind
What makes this spot so great for writers? It's cozy, has great music, comfy chairs, and outlets to plug in your laptop!  Also, the staff are very friendly, and try to remember your name (and their drinks are yummy).

(Note: It's pretty small, so don't expect to fit whole groups of people there, but they don't mind if you stay for hours.)

Hoppi
Private E-1

Postby Hoppi » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:47 am

The Creative Writing class at OASIS in San Diego, California. Limited to geezers and near-geezers: 50 or over. Great critiques from class members. Serious, older, writers. Unfortunately, classes are too short and infrequent.

Susan
General

Postby Susan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:11 pm

Name of City/Town:  Sebastopol, CA
Name of Hot Spot:  Coffee Katz
What makes this spot so great for writers? This little coffee shop is homey, inviting and has many little areas where one can sit and lounge.  The music jam session on Saturday, while my boyfriend joins the jam with his guitar or mandolin, is a perfect time for me to find a cozy place to sit and write. 

desk
Private First Class

Postby desk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:41 am

This small settin' down place between Byron and Stockton.. right off the delta.

Perior
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Perior » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Name of City/Town: Studio City, San Fernando Valley/Southern California

Name of Hot Spot: AromA Cafe'
What makes this spot so great for writers? Studio City is over the hill from Hollywood proper and a great deal of film people live in this area. Writers/Filmmakers/Actors/Actresses frequent this indoor/outdoor cafe daily...all day everyday. I have never seen it empty except when it is closed. Very good coffee/cappuccinos/lattes and food. But more than that it is a place where people gather to discuss the business and their careers. But there is intentionally no wifi service. It is not a place to sit and chat online, but person to person and to write.

Dave-AR
Private E-1

Re: California

Postby Dave-AR » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:23 pm

Name of Town Fallbrook, CA
Name of Hot Spot: County Library
Free Wi-Fi. Private spot for writers. Creative writing workshop on First Thursday of Month. Very quiet, with access to materials from all county libraries in San Diego area. :) :)

PreviousNext

Return to Literary Hot Spots