Disappearing Magazine

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Brian
Lieutenant

Disappearing Magazine

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:57 am

Brian
Lieutenant

Disappearing Magazine

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:57 am

In every issue in "Writer's Digest"'s InkWell section, we pose a thought-provoking question related to the writing life. In the October issue, Lou Harry says that when a magazine folds, you can land on your feet if you've built a good relationship with editors--after all, they have to move on somewhere, too. http://www.writersdigest.com/articles/h ... gazine.asp

Have you ever landed a writing gig because of your relationship with an editor who's switched publications? Tell us about it.

To be part of our monthly Conversation, post your response here by hitting the "reply" button. A few responses may be selected to run in a future "WD" newsletter.

Ultimate Cheapskate
Lieutenant Colonel

RE: Disappearing Magazine

Postby Ultimate Cheapskate » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:11 pm

"Moved: Left No Forwarding Address," that's more like it.

I've written more than one piece for a mag that "bought it" (literally and figuratively) and stopped publishing. I've never had any success - or much interest - in pursuing the editorial staff to their next gig, but maybe that was short sighted on my part. Glad you raised the question. Guess I think, fool me once....

dgford
Colonel

Postby dgford » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:45 am

The idea here is interesting.  Not to turn tables on this posting, but I had the opposite experience worth noting.  I had been asked to write a piece regarding 'where have all the manners' gone for a magazine.  They liked my humor, now try this one they said.  So I spent too long a time in my earlier years crafting it and getting it to market. 

"So the editor you refer to has moved on, and we have no interest in pursuing that particular thought."  So, yes I would like to find the earlier editor and see if she would like me to send something to her newest place of work.  But she was lost in the whole process.  In my case, I let too much grass grow under my feet, before I finally sent my story.

Where eagles fly,

Don

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:59 pm

When the market is local, keeping ties to editors is especially important.  Not too long ago, the editor who initially accepted my pitch for a humor column in her section of the paper was offered the chance to run a local edition of the national Business Weekly magazine.  Her last email to me as editor of my column included a note that she would be contacting me soon once she was settled into her new job.  Sure enough, she spoke with me last week about adding me to the corral of freelancers the magazine uses. 

By the way, the reverse is also true.  Burn a bridge with one editor, and it can come back to haunt again and again as that same editor moves from publication to publication.  This scenario has the added problem of causing the writer to lose the chance to prove that the lesson was learned.  Once the editor has told the story of a bad experience with a writer, no one at the publication is going to take the risk.

dgford
Colonel

Postby dgford » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:04 pm

There is no question whatsoever, that as a young writer, I had my share of obstacles and 'things' to learn.  Still do as I venture into new territories in writing.  My present teaching forces me to learn right along with the students, just a couple of steps ahead of them.

Don

loudermilk
Major

Postby loudermilk » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:14 pm

I submitted an off-beat letter to an editor for an Atlanta-based magazine. The editor contacted me and asked if I'd be willing to write two columns: one using my real name, and one advice column. She was going to call it "Ask the Sarge." I submitted three regular columns and responded to one spoiled brat in her mid-20s. The editor left. The magazine stopped publishing. The publisher asked me to work on some "What it was like in Atlanta way back when" stories. He said he hoped to restart the publication eventually. I wasn't willing to work for an eventual paycheck.

razzle
Private E-1

Postby razzle » Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:29 am

I'm still waiting for a writing job, so I can be let go. Then I will be able to contribute more fully to the discussion.

P.S. I really am waiting for one.

MonikaM
Private E-2

Re: Disappearing Magazine

Postby MonikaM » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:59 pm

Writing jobs can be available with a good portfolio, if you are able to make a good portfolio of all the best of the writing samples, it will be possible to promote your work and that will fetch you some good writing assignment.

Return to Conversation question