[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Shades of Gray : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Shades of Gray

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Shades of Gray

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:55 am

I think people need to realize this is not a legal issue.  Whether a pice has been legally published means exactly zip.  Something has been published if an editor considers it published.  Pure and simple.

An editor can reject anything he wants, for any reason he wants, or he can offer to buy only the rights he's willing to pay for.  Period.

It really isn't even about "published."  If an editor believes any piece of writing has already been seen by more readers than he would like, that editor has every right to say he doesn't want the piece at all, or is only willing to pay for reprint rights.

Putting material online is always a choice.  So is telling the truth about where it has been posted online.  Be honest, and live with choices you made.

KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

Postby KarenRankowitz » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:30 pm

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:57 am

dgford
Colonel

Postby dgford » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:48 am

Hi,

Here's the problem I see with that.  Today I am nobody, and you along with me.  I am only echoeing your sentiments.  However, tomorrow my work is majorly picked up, and I am suddenly being wisked off in that golden cadillac to my first giant signing and performance in the publishing world.  Now every little quote I came up with and every little muse(identified at the time as stupid), now heads for the open waters of billboarddome on the boulevard.  Hey - who found that ditty?  Cyber dealers acting like the photogenic papparazzi, will unearth your stuff and sell it to the highest bidder.  Your so called crap or loose tongue (and mine to) is being waved then for all to SEE. 

You say what is the chance of that ever happening to me.  Don't sell yourself short.  You are in this business with the rest of us, and like a dollar and a dream, it could happen, now that you have put your two-cents in there. 

Pay no attention to the guy behind this cyber curtain, these are just some of my own musings. Ha, Ha,  LOL.

Where eagles fly,

Don

dgford
Colonel

Postby dgford » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 am

HI,

Here we go again(sort of).  This subject isn't going away.  I guess my thoughts are: writing is writing, it all comes out of the thought life(another one of those shady places).  I was of the opinion that unless we were paid for our writing, it didn't count as published.  I am now reneging on this idea.  Hey times change; we leave the training wheels for the open highway.  We learn, we grow!  According to my mentor from out West, this is what we should look at: 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My take on this--  If you want to make a living by writing, you don't put anything 'out there' unless you get paid for it or get a credit worth touting.  I allow no one to see what I'm writing except the editor who can pay me for it or the agent who's representing it.  Don't think about self-publishing unless you have a large audience ready and waiting to pay for your work.  Always guarantee originality.

#######################################
This gal has worn every hat in the industry, all the way up to being the book publisher.  She has climbed a few more ropes than I have; and even gotten much higher on those ropes. 
Where eagles fly with keen eyes and ears,
Don 

theshirley
Private E-1

Postby theshirley » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:57 am

Finding Voice is difficult enough. When I was about 12, I learned that publishing was about making your work public. Since 1972, the information age has exploded to include the world wide web. Now, age 47 I still believe that publishing is about making your work public. I have read my work in large and small arenas to people who could not see, but could hear my work. Blogging makes it exposable, and therefore public. That I believe is publishable.

drwasy
Captain

Postby drwasy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:26 am

Perhaps I'm too old school, too academic, but in my humble opinion, if it does not go a through a 'peer review' process of some sort, your writing should not be considered published. If there is no editorial process in place, one which requires some level of vetting, then your novel or poem or short story or column isn't published. Blogs, like any other public-access internet medium, are public domain. Most blogs I've wandered upon (excepting ours, of course ;) ) are trash: lousy writing, lousy subject matter, often too graphic. And that stuff is not 'published', just as my musings in my old-fashioned paper journal are not published (even if I decided to wall-paper a building with the pages). I am not saying that blogs don't hold sway - they do. And if traditional publishers wish to reject pieces because they've been uploaded in public forums and blogs, so be it. Their primary interest is in getting readership to pay for what they sell. As my mom used to say in reference to my shacking up before getting married: "Why pay for the milk when you can get the cow for free?"

Which is not to say the internet itself is bad; it isn't, and there are plenty of legitimate e-zines which, if you are so lucky, constitute publication.

Payment is an optional aspect of publication. My nickle's worth.... peace, Linda 

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:29 am

drwasy
Captain

Postby drwasy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:33 am

dgford
Colonel

Postby dgford » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:01 am

Hi

A friend of mine(Not too close a friend) decided to self-publish with iuniverse.com

It was a book dealing with his family during the Holocaust.  It could sell itself by the subject matter.

He spent the extra bucks to have it worked over by their people.  They don't comment as much on story content ,as they do the grammar end of the work.  This is a good thing. 

Then I checked out a another book that was self published through them, it was atrocious.  By that I mean, the use of the same word was prevalent throughout.  So instead of changing up a word with another of similar meaning and weight - he drones on saying the frog does this, and the frog does that.  Later the frog does something else.  I am asleep by now and you may wake me up.

Where eagles fly, watching for fish and frogs below,

Don

PreviousNext

Return to Conversation question