Finally creating an AUDIOBOOK

mikeyboy_esq
Private First Class

Finally creating an AUDIOBOOK

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:51 pm

My 2 nonfiction books have been on the market approx. 1 year now, and this month I finally decided to create an Audiobook for each of my books. Whenever I looked into doing an audiobook via ACX in the past, I wasn’t sure if I could make any $ (I’m told nonfiction audiobooks generally sell less than fiction audiobooks) and didn’t want tospend big $$$ to create an audiobook. But then I discovered royalty share option via ACX whereby the narrator can agree to do all the work to create the audiobook in exchange for splitting theroyalties of future sales with the author. So I have no investment and nothing to lose by doing a royalty sharing agreement. Another concern I previously had about using the royalty sharing option is whether an experienced/talented narrator would be willing to enter into royalty sharing where many of the experienced narrators (aka “voice actors”) prefer being paid upfront (e.g.,$200 per finished hour or more).

When I submitted both of my books in ACX earlier this month, I was pleasantly surprised that 30 or more narrators submitted an audition for each of my books and several auditions were excellent. From there, I sent messages to each narrator that I was interested in to ask about their experience, whether they do this work full-time or part-time (which usually drives how fast they can complete the work) and whether they have their own equipment, etc. From there, I picked my narrator and that person started the work. The process only took a few weeks for my shortest book (estimated 1.5 hours total length) and one of my audiobooks is already completed and headed to retailers (should be available for sale within the next 2 weeks). My other audiobook it longer (estimated 3.5 hours total length) is close to being completed and should be available for sale not long after my first one. Whether I make any profit remains to be seen.

Just curious if anyone else here has had experience creating audiobooks via ACX recently and if so, what did you think of the audiobook creation process and did you have many audiobook sales when it hit the market?
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Finally creating an AUDIOBOOK

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:54 am

I haven't any experience with creating audio books, Mikey, and I find your post interesting and very informative. Please let us know how you fare, saleswise. Good luck! :)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

mikeyboy_esq
Private First Class

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:44 pm

Oldtimer,
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, I'll be glad to keep everyone updated on these audiobooks and whether they actually sell.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

I.W.
Private E-1

Postby I.W. » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi, that sounds great! I also consider to release an audiobook for my historical novel.

Please keep us updated!

mikeyboy_esq
Private First Class

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:31 pm

I.W.,
Will do.

So far, 1 of my audiobooks (14 Steps to Self-Publishing) hit the market about 4 days ago and it has already sold 3 copies. Not bad considering that I didn't do any special promotion for this audiobook yet. Speaking of that, ACX gives you 25 free audibook codes to give away for promotional purposes(all you have to do is send ACX an email and ask for them). I already received my codes for the first audibook and plan to give them away later this month (to promote the 1 year anniversary of my book's publication date).

My 2nd audiobook (Engaging College Students) is finally finished being made (took longer to make than my 1st one b/c this book is much longer), and now I'm just waiting for it to be distributed to the market (iTunes, Audible.com and Amazon).

I'll keep everyone updated as time goes on.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

I.W.
Private E-1

Postby I.W. » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:10 am

Ok, great! Thanks for updating us. I didn't know ACX gives free audiobook codes as well. Interesting!

Return to General Questions & Discussions