James Patterson's Masterclass on Writing

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
mikeyboy_esq
Private First Class

James Patterson's Masterclass on Writing

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:19 pm

Just finished watching James Patterson's MASTERCLASS on writing, and it is filled with great advice for newbie authors! I only wish I had watched this before writing my 1st book. Apparently, James spends ALOT of time and attention on getting the outline right before he starts writing the chapters. I enjoyed hearing how he handles literary agents, co-authors, advertising and Hollywood. I look forward to watching Judy Blume's Masterclass on writing soon.

If you have watched one of these two Masterclasses, please let me know your thoughts.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: James Patterson's Masterclass on Writing

Postby ostarella » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Any advice is worth considering. I happen to strongly disagree with Patterson on outlining and other things, but there's always a nugget here and there to think about and see if it works for you.
"The trick of the fiction writer is the beautiful lie..." Thomas Fox Averill

aka shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://shadowwalker.info/home.html

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:25 pm

I did his masterclass as well about a year ago. I found several nuggets worth chewing. Some was stuff I read already. I enjoyed listening to his process and I thought it was well worth the money spent. That mega outlining approach of his doesn't fit with how I write but it certainly works for him. Look, he outlines a lot and can toss those outlines to other writers to fill in the blanks. It's how has created a cottage industry and made a gazillion dollars - God Bless! Whatever it takes. Who knows, maybe I'll be an outliner some day, just isn't today... at the moment.

I.W.
Private E-1

Postby I.W. » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:53 am

ostarella wrote:
> Any advice is worth considering. I happen to strongly disagree with
> Patterson on outlining and other things, but there's always a nugget here
> and there to think about and see if it works for you.

Yes, I agree with you. I only create a broad outline of the entire short story or novel before I start writing, but I almost never do the same before beginning a new chapter. Only when I feel stuck on some scene I use outlining as a fairly effective method of advancing my story.

Nevertheless, it is always interesting to learn how other authors create their works. But you should never blindy copy techniques that might work for others but not necessarily for you.

Fictional Chef
Private E-1

Postby Fictional Chef » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:52 pm

Thanks for telling us about this, mikeyboy_esq. I'll check it out. Like ostarella said, all advice is worth considering. Sadly, people today appear to lean towards extremes; love or hate, there's nothing in-between. If they hate someone, they purposely set out to disagree with everything they say. Take President Trump, for example. Love him or hate him, the man is successful and we can all learn something from him. To back up what I said about extremes, the media, and YouTubers, have interviewed people on the street and purposely attributed President Obama's quotes to President Trump to see how people would react. When people thought the quotes came from President Trump, they seethed and vehemently disagreed/hated what was said. My point is, the wise person will consider the advice more than the person giving the advice.

When it comes to outlining, I enjoy both. I personally find outlining a lot of fun, but it's not always the best choice for me. Some stories work better being "pantsed" while others need outlining. Sometimes it's a combination of the two where outlining provides a bare bones structure, but free writing provides everything else like emotion, authenticity, and all the color.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:36 pm

Probably a good idea to keep politics out of writing discussions, since people are bound to disagree, and typically vehemently. There's another forum ("Take it outside") for the political stuff. ;)

aka shadowwalker

Fictional Chef
Private E-1

Postby Fictional Chef » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:54 am

I'm sorry I missed your reply here, ostarella. I wasn't avoiding it. :)

I completely understand and appreciate what you're saying. And I'll certainly respect the rules but, I can't help but clarify something. I wasn't discussing politics at all. I simply used a factual example of a study without support of either side.

I realize that we live in an age where simply bringing up a mere name is going to send thin-skinned people into a tizzy or frenzy. How are we, as writers, expected to cater to it? That's giving them the power and tells them they're right to limit other people's freedom of speech.

Still, I'll respect the rule because it's not my website. I appreciate your kind response. :)

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 am

Fictional Chef wrote:
> I'm sorry I missed your reply here, ostarella. I wasn't avoiding it. :)
>
> I completely understand and appreciate what you're saying. And I'll
> certainly respect the rules but, I can't help but clarify something. I
> wasn't discussing politics at all. I simply used a factual example of a
> study without support of either side.
>
> I realize that we live in an age where simply bringing up a mere name is
> going to send thin-skinned people into a tizzy or frenzy. How are we, as
> writers, expected to cater to it? That's giving them the power and tells
> them they're right to limit other people's freedom of speech.
>
> Still, I'll respect the rule because it's not my website. I appreciate
> your kind response. :)

The phrases you use in your response are good examples of why we keep political comments in another forum ("thin-skinned", "tizzy", etc). They strongly imply a judgement and can lead to angry rants instead of rational discussions.

Writers don't have to cater to anything IN THEIR WORK. But here, in a forum on writing, we should be able to find non-political examples so we can discuss without disrespecting anyone's personal views of non-writing issues.

aka shadowwalker

Return to Tips and Advice