Famous Genre

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
divine walker
Private E-1

Famous Genre

Postby divine walker » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:20 am

Which genre do you think was the most popular nowadays?

RobTheThird
Private E-1

Re: Famous Genre

Postby RobTheThird » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:30 am

In what? The Bible is (last I looked) the most sold work of literature in the world. Does that mean religious tomes are the hot genre?

Besides, the process of getting a book to market is not a fast one when done right. Try to chase what's hot today, and it may well be irrelevant by the time your work is ready for publication.

I don't have publication statistics, but Romance seems to be a perennial good seller.

Here's a listing of the NY TImes' Best Seller lists:
https://www.nytimes.com/books/best-sellers/

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Famous Genre

Postby ostarella » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:57 am

Are you asking just out of curiosity or because you think it actually matters?

"Best seller" is really hard to pin down. There is so much secrecy and manipulation of the numbers, and outright lies by many. I don't understand why it is that way, but it is. And of course there are so many "best seller lists", each with their own "formula", that only the really major players end up on the majority of them.

The important thing to remember is that for authors it doesn't really matter what's on the list. Even a western could end up on the list if, like Harry Potter, it hits the sweet spot with readers.

Return to Book Discussion