How to plot a novel.

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: How to plot a novel.

Postby ostarella » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:38 pm

deddmann_writing wrote:
>
> I am writing on my schedule. It is proceeding as fast as my time allows. I do
> have other things than writing a novel that have higher priority claims on my time.
> For most ordinary folks, writing requires planning first. I will be done faster
> better easier with higher quality if I plan first and write later.

So how is your plan coming? Based on the time it's taken you to work on just the plan for this novel (going by your sock-puppets' histories here), you're already behind the 8-ball re: faster. And I mean, WAY behind it.

deddmann_writing
Private E-2

Postby deddmann_writing » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:10 pm

ostarella wrote:
> deddmann_writing wrote:
> >
> > I am writing on my schedule. It is proceeding as fast as my time allows. I
> do
> > have other things than writing a novel that have higher priority claims on my
> time.
> > For most ordinary folks, writing requires planning first. I will be done
> faster
> > better easier with higher quality if I plan first and write later.
>
> So how is your plan coming? Based on the time it's taken you to work on just the plan
> for this novel (going by your sock-puppets' histories here), you're already behind
> the 8-ball re: faster. And I mean, WAY behind it.
-==============

My plan is doing just fine; thanks for caring. But please do note that It is my schedule not yours. And it is my way of doing things more efficiently and effectively even if not yours. I am not behind anything no matter what you think or say.

I have been, past tense, published and paid for it. I know what writing process works best for me. And I plan to continue on the same path that has worked for me. And which saved my butt and my job when I tried to just write without planning and totally failed when I did not plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail is not just a slogan.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:54 pm

deddmann_writing wrote:

> I have been, past tense, published and paid for it. I know what writing process
> works best for me. And I plan to continue on the same path that has worked for me.
> And which saved my butt and my job when I tried to just write without planning and
> totally failed when I did not plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail is not just
> a slogan.

Yes, we know all about your supposed nonfiction publishing. You've told us about it often enough in your past personas. But you've never actually written a novel, have you? So you're simply assuming that you can do it faster, easier and better than someone who hasn't read the same how-to books you have. The proof is in the pudding - and as I say, if it's taken over a year and you're still planning, you're already far behind many successful writers as far as "faster". Easier depends on the writer and which method actually works for them. Better - well, let us know if the novel ever gets published and we can judge for ourselves, eh?

And actually, yes, "Failing to plan is planning to fail" is just a slogan, which you know (but refuse to recognize) since you've been given a list on different occasions of successful writers who did not plan.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:06 am

deddmann_writing wrote:
> His hobbies include...talking about himself in the third person.

Dreaming Imrryr approves!
Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

deddmann_writing
Private E-2

Postby deddmann_writing » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 am

ostarella wrote:
> deddmann_writing wrote:
>
> > I have been, past tense, published and paid for it. I know what writing process
> > works best for me. And I plan to continue on the same path that has worked for
> me.
> > And which saved my butt and my job when I tried to just write without planning
> and
> > totally failed when I did not plan. Failing to plan is planning to fail is not
> just
> > a slogan.
>
> Yes, we know all about your supposed nonfiction publishing. You've told us about it
> often enough in your past personas. But you've never actually written a novel, have
> you? So you're simply assuming that you can do it faster, easier and better than
> someone who hasn't read the same how-to books you have. The proof is in the pudding -
> and as I say, if it's taken over a year and you're still planning, you're already far
> behind many successful writers as far as "faster". Easier depends on the
> writer and which method actually works for them. Better - well, let us know if the
> novel ever gets published and we can judge for ourselves, eh?
>
> And actually, yes, "Failing to plan is planning to fail" is just a slogan,
> which you know (but refuse to recognize) since you've been given a list on different
> occasions of successful writers who did not plan.

=============

I have written and been published, and paid. I know how to write and have proven it.

I have a process that works for me to do non fiction. I will adapt what works for me to write fiction too.
What I will not do is repeat the same things that failed when I used them for non fiction and think that they will suddenly work for me when I write fiction.

As I said I am working on my schedule not yours. LIke Abe Lincoln said : if he had an hour to cut down a tree
he would use the first 45 minutes sharpening the axe. And I have other more important projects to finish ,not just one to write a novel for fun.

If I were to build a house I would have a blueprint and then acquire the tools needed and learn how to use them.
I would not start sawing lumber and nailing boards together and hope I got a house I would want to live in.
Maybe if I were building a dog house I would just start cutting up boards and nailing them together. But for a good house I would plan and prepare.

You keep using logical fallacies. Just because some writers dont plan, and some say they don't plan but actually do and call it something else, does not mean that a new writer should attempt to do it that way. They should try if they want to do that, but when they fail then they should look for other methods to use.

If you have another method that works then keep using it. I do not care how you write. I only care what will help me write better faster easier.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:34 am

deddmann_writing wrote:

> You keep using logical fallacies. Just because some writers dont plan, and some say
> they don't plan but actually do and call it something else, does not mean that a new
> writer should attempt to do it that way. They should try if they want to do that,
> but when they fail then they should look for other methods to use.
>
> If you have another method that works then keep using it. I do not care how you
> write. I only care what will help me write better faster easier.

If what any writer is doing isn't working, they should definitely try something else. That's common sense, not great wisdom.

As to your method, I really don't care what you do either. The bone of contention is, has been, and apparently always will be your insistence that your way of doing things is the ONLY way to be successful. You know little to nothing about writing fiction except what you've read about, and yet you pretend to be an expert. You are not. You know little to nothing about discovery writing, refuse to listen when those who write that way explain, over and over, how they do it, and then you continue to spread your willful ignorance about it to make your method look better. You pull this same thing every time you come back with a new sock puppet.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Well that didn't take long.

The good news is, since I'm leaving to go on vacation tomorrow, I will not be approving anyone until I get back. And it's a secret of when I'm getting back... :)

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice