Rough draft questions

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Rough draft questions

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm not sure why it's an industry standard. Courier can add a good 30% more paper to a 100k novel when printed. Maybe agents decided they didn't want to kill so many trees. I started using Courier when I first started writing until I started printing out versions to edit.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:01 pm

My version of Office uses Calibri as Normal. Personally, I prefer Garamond.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:24 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]I'm not sure why it's an industry standard. Courier can add a good 30% more paper to a 100k novel when printed. Maybe agents decided they didn't want to kill so many trees. I started using Courier when I first started writing until I started printing out versions to edit.[/quote]

James A. Richie used to explain that agents requested Courier when they received hard copies, because Courier gives 120 words per page, and they could easily see by the page count what the word count was. But since agents request electronic copies now, and their computers will give the word counts, that's become obsolete. Anyway, they can easily reformat the submission any way they want, so it's no big deal. I believe most are happy with TNR.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:43 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]I'm not sure why it's an industry standard. Courier can add a good 30% more paper to a 100k novel when printed. Maybe agents decided they didn't want to kill so many trees. I started using Courier when I first started writing until I started printing out versions to edit.[/quote]

Paper was not an issue, as they demanded double spacing and big margins. Courier was easier on the eyes. And before word processors you got an immediate estimate of word count that was very close to the actual length by counting pages. With courier the words/page was very consistent at about 250.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:46 pm

[quote="Oldtimer"]My version of Office uses Calibri as Normal. Personally, I prefer Garamond.[/quote]

Maybe MS wised up and changed the default. The did create Georgia for use on screen to replace TNR. Garamond is a nice old font. I cant recall what Calibri looks like offhand. But then of the several thousand fonts I have available I rarely use more than a handful and can only identify a couple dozen by sight. I did find a book that identified all known fonts at the library. These days anybody can create a new font very easily and they do keep coming up with newer ones.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:48 pm

[quote="wdarcy"][quote="T.A.Rodgers"]I'm not sure why it's an industry standard. Courier can add a good 30% more paper to a 100k novel when printed. Maybe agents decided they didn't want to kill so many trees. I started using Courier when I first started writing until I started printing out versions to edit.[/quote]

James A. Richie used to explain that agents requested Courier when they received hard copies, because Courier gives 120 words per page, and they could easily see by the page count what the word count was. But since agents request electronic copies now, and their computers will give the word counts, that's become obsolete. Anyway, they can easily reformat the submission any way they want, so it's no big deal. I believe most are happy with TNR.

--Warren[/quote]

True. With electronic copies the need to specify a font is reduced. The issue is who prints the mss in the agent's preferred font if they don't want to read it on screen.

If I were serious about being an agent I would likely ask for a few chapters in electric format but if I asked for the whole mss I would ask them to print it in the font with the line spacing and margins that I prefer to work with.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:07 pm

I use a no frills word processor.

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party