a question about backstory

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Harold Saxon
Private E-1

a question about backstory

Postby Harold Saxon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:45 pm

Do Dystopian novels have the history of how they got to where they are? As in The Hunger Games, Divergent. If something happened centuries ago before the inciting event, should the writer explain how the society got to the way they are? Without info-dumping, boring back-history. Sort of Charles Dickens... the times were dark.... or does the writer bore everyone with how the dark times happen which would not allow the inciting event to be in the beginning.

Beginning writer, trying to figure out the tech aspects.
thanks for responses

sammy2
Private First Class

Re: a question about backstory

Postby sammy2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

[quote="Harold Saxon"]Do Dystopian novels have the history of how they got to where they are? As in The Hunger Games, Divergent. If something happened centuries ago before the inciting event, should the writer explain how the society got to the way they are? Without info-dumping, boring back-history. Sort of Charles Dickens... the times were dark.... or does the writer bore everyone with how the dark times happen which would not allow the inciting event to be in the beginning.

Beginning writer, trying to figure out the tech aspects.
thanks for responses[/quote]

Good question. I would guess that it depends.
Some authors have a prologue to set the context. Some just have a sentence to describe the current situation. Others let it come out as part of the story as it progresses.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:05 pm

I don't write dystopian novels. However, as a reader I would prefer that the backstory, what led up to the apocalypse, came out gradually as the story progressed.

On the other hand, some start at the beginning. Steven King's THE STAND and CELL start before the event and move towards it. I believe the same is true of SWAN SONG (a ripoff of THE STAND).

Hopefully some on this forum are more familiar with the genre than I am and can be more helpful.

Good luck!

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:58 pm

I haven't read a lot of them, but those I have read tend to be almost two books - like the Stand, although not necessarily of the same epic length. There's the cause of the apocalypse and immediate aftermath, and then the second major problem that happens after the dust settles. The caveat - those generally dealt with something more complicated than nuclear war or meteors hitting the earth, and thus needed a little more "explaining", both in how it came about and how it affected people.

I guess that would be my "clue" for placement of "backstory" - is it something that most people would have at least a fairly good understanding of (nuclear war) or is it something along the lines of the plague in The Stand?

Harold Saxon
Private E-1

Postby Harold Saxon » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:43 pm

Thanks all, for your responses. It was vague because it happened several centuries ago. One of the early beginnings was something like, The Dark Ages were shrouded in a mystery propagated by the government to hide their secrets.

Then another version did a brief timeline of events that happened over several centuries and came up to eight years behind the present of Chapter one. The history in one version was mentioned in conversation, but that would have been later on in the story, not up front as some have suggested. Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure if the dystopian Hunger Games, Divergent ever gave the reason for how society came about.

People's responses (in other online) were to explain what happened centuries ago and they wanted the explanation in the beginning.

It reminds me of Abbott and Costello's Who's on First or parody on Hamlet... To prologue or not to prologue, that is the question. :)

I have read dystopian novels that started from their present and didn't bother much in the explanation department.

My drafts are written in 3rd present tense. It comes out that way and I have to change it to past tense in the revision. :)

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:03 pm

I like some backstory. If some things are never explained by the time I finish the book, I don't think like that.

Return to Tips and Advice