How's Your Writing Going?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Noizchild
Lieutenant

Re: How's Your Writing Going?

Postby Noizchild » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:02 pm

Good, but Word is acting like a diva with me.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:25 pm

[quote="Noizchild"]Good, but Word is acting like a diva with me.[/quote]

It does that to everybody. Word is now a bad word processor and a bad typesetter. It should just be a good word processor and forget the fancy layout stuff.

Mine loves to put frames into the document. I dont notice them. But when I print I lose content.
I have found some things that trigger it like numbering or TOC creation. But sometimes it just happens.
Word is very frustrating.

I usually recover by copying it all to word pad. Saving as text. Then copying it all back to word.
Which of course means you have to wait until the very end of all the changes before you do any formatting otherwise you keep duplicating that work.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:17 pm

MS Word is a word processor. That's all it claims to be. People trying to use MS Word for typesetting are using a drill and bit on a screw.

I've never had any problems with MS Word as a word processing application. I don't expect it to do what Acrobat, or even MS Publisher, can do.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:31 am

I have used MS Word since the 90's. I've never had a problem with it. I currently use Word 2013 on Windows 10. I always use it with the show/hide feature on to catch those accidental soft returns or tabs. Works like a charm.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:39 am

I think I'm too old school (or maybe just too old :roll: ) for most bells and whistles most word processing stuff has. Hit the wrong button and all kinds of "stuff" happens and then try to figure out how to undo it - been there, done that, not for me. I use Atlantis Nova free version which basically makes my pc an electric typewriter with a screen and no ribbon. :D

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:45 am

I have trouble with Word, too, but it only happens on one image-heavy document. I keep getting the message "Word is not responding". If I wait a few seconds, sometimes it will put itself right. Other times it will just crash and go into Document Recovery. It's so frustrating. Because this document is so important, as soon as I add a new section, I save my work manually, but Word saves it too. The Autosave function seemed hyperactive, coming into play every few minutes. Of course I do back ups onto a flash drive several times a day, and that's been a wise choice. Does anyone else have this problem?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:41 am

[quote="Oldtimer"]I have trouble with Word, too, but it only happens on one image-heavy document. I keep getting the message "Word is not responding". If I wait a few seconds, sometimes it will put itself right. Other times it will just crash and go into Document Recovery. It's so frustrating. Because this document is so important, as soon as I add a new section, I save my work manually, but Word saves it too. The Autosave function seemed hyperactive, coming into play every few minutes. Of course I do back ups onto a flash drive several times a day, and that's been a wise choice. Does anyone else have this problem?[/quote]

I could see that happening. I break long documents into short pieces and make each its own file. It keeps response time better and avoids other problems that could ripple out if something goes wrong and word decides to do things on its own.

There is a setting for autosave. You can set the time between it happening or turn it off.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:35 pm

We're going Word 2019 next year.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:09 pm

[quote="Noizchild"]We're going Word 2019 next year.[/quote]

You might.

I am still on 2003 or is it 1997.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:16 pm

I think I'm still on 2004 for the Mac. Never gave me any trouble.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party