Diversity, or rather lack thereof

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
classywhale
Private E-1

Diversity, or rather lack thereof

Postby classywhale » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:56 pm

Hi all - quick question. I've noticed a lot of agents clamoring for #ownvoices and such, and the novel I'm trying to publish really doesn't fit that bill. I'm a white male, and my characters are white Christians who are fairly well off.

To clarify, this is not Christian fiction. Faith doesn't really come into the story much, the characters just go to church once and pray/sing hymns a few times.

The story does feature prominent themes of family, disability, and adoption. Still, does my or my characters' ethnicity, religion, or status mean it will be harder to publish in today's market, or am I overthinking this?

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Diversity, or rather lack thereof

Postby ostarella » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Overthinking it, but that's just my opinion. Write a good story and be persistent in querying. That's how one gets published.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:56 pm

[quote="classywhale"]Hi all - quick question. I've noticed a lot of agents clamoring for #ownvoices and such, and the novel I'm trying to publish really doesn't fit that bill. I'm a white male, and my characters are white Christians who are fairly well off.

To clarify, this is not Christian fiction. Faith doesn't really come into the story much, the characters just go to church once and pray/sing hymns a few times.

The story does feature prominent themes of family, disability, and adoption. Still, does my or my characters' ethnicity, religion, or status mean it will be harder to publish in today's market, or am I overthinking this?[/quote]

IMHO Overthinking.

There are agents for everything out there that will get published. But to be sure those themes don't scream big market niche to me.
But then aiming at some ethnic or religious or handicap or orientation group does not scream big market to me either

Write an interesting story. Realise that some genre/topics sell much better than others. If you go for a smaller market niche then find an agent that handles that type of writing. WM and other guides may help you identify the agents that are best suited for your writing.

classywhale
Private E-1

Postby classywhale » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:58 pm

Sammy2 - what is WM?

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:16 pm

[quote="classywhale"]Sammy2 - what is WM?[/quote]
Pretty sure Sammy was referring to Writer's Market.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:42 am

[quote="classywhale"]Sammy2 - what is WM?[/quote]

WM = writers market a WD publication chock full of useful info on who to sell your writing to along with tips on how to do it
WD = writers digest who hosts this site and publishes a great magazine along with many writing oriented books

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:47 am

I also feel you're overthinking it. Just write a good story that the reader can't put down.

By the way, as I understand it,"Christian fiction" comes in many forms and does not necessarily mean the characters spend lots of time praying, singing hymns, and going to church. It may not be faith-based at all. It simply means a book contains no profanity, no sex, and no graphic violence. That's it.

As an example, Steven James writes FBI thrillers that are as grim and gut-wrenching as they come. Yet he is published by a Christian fiction publisher because his books follow the above guidelines.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:36 pm

[quote="wdarcy"]I also feel you're overthinking it. Just write a good story that the reader can't put down.

By the way, as I understand it,"Christian fiction" comes in many forms and does not necessarily mean the characters spend lots of time praying, singing hymns, and going to church. It may not be faith-based at all. It simply means a book contains no profanity, no sex, and no graphic violence. That's it.

As an example, Steven James writes FBI thrillers that are as grim and gut-wrenching as they come. Yet he is published by a Christian fiction publisher because his books follow the above guidelines.

--Warren[/quote]

A good story is a must.

I have not seen a formal definition but my impression was that it always had some sort of moral to the story in order to reinforce some bible teaching of whatever brand of religion the writer believes. Or it reflected some other biblical teaching by analogy the way the characters did things. That being based on seeing snippets of some so called Christian movies on cable as I channel switched.

For sure it would mean no profanity, no sex, and no graphic violence.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:14 pm

wdarcy wrote:
> I also feel you're overthinking it. Just write a good story that the
> reader can't put down.
>
> By the way, as I understand it,"Christian fiction" comes in many
> forms and does not necessarily mean the characters spend lots of time
> praying, singing hymns, and going to church. It may not be faith-based at
> all. It simply means a book contains no profanity, no sex, and no graphic
> violence. That's it.
>
> As an example, Steven James writes FBI thrillers that are as grim and
> gut-wrenching as they come. Yet he is published by a Christian fiction
> publisher because his books follow the above guidelines.
>
> --Warren

Nice to know that.

Return to Writers' Block Party