Do More Book Website Visits = More Book Sales?

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Do More Book Website Visits = More Book Sales?

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Fri May 12, 2017 3:41 pm

QUESTION: Do more book website visits equal more book sales?

At the beginning of this year, I noticed a connection between my books' website visits and the monthly number of sales (note: both of my books are sold via Amazon, BN and other websites, but NOT directly from my website). For example, when I posted popular articles on my site (e.g., how much does it cost to self-publish), my website visits increased significantly and so did my book sales (at least for the following few weeks). So I drew the logical conclusion that webpage visits have a direct correlation to book sales.

Fast forward to now (May 2017) and my book sales have noticeably increased over the past month or so while my book's website hits have been lackluster over the same period of time. I cannot fully explain why my book sales have jumped in recent weeks... it could be due to a number of factors (recently received favorable reviews on Amazon, my recently posts on social media rec'd hundreds of views and dozens of likes/comments, AMS ads seem to be getting lots of clicks lately, etc.). But for whatever reason, my increased book sales of late do NOT appear to correlate to the number of website visits during the same period of time.

I'd be interested to hear from other authors who have noticed if website visits have a strongly correlation to your book sales, and why do you think that is.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

MPhillip
Private E-1

Re: Do More Book Website Visits = More Book Sales?

Postby MPhillip » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:32 am

Last edited by MPhillip on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:00 am

[quote="mikeyboy_esq"]QUESTION: Do more book website visits equal more book sales?

At the beginning of this year, I noticed a connection between my books' website visits and the monthly number of sales (note: both of my books are sold via Amazon, BN and other websites, but NOT directly from my website). For example, when I posted popular articles on my site (e.g., how much does it cost to self-publish), my website visits increased significantly and so did my book sales (at least for the following few weeks). So I drew the logical conclusion that webpage visits have a direct correlation to book sales.

Fast forward to now (May 2017) and my book sales have noticeably increased over the past month or so while my book's website hits have been lackluster over the same period of time. I cannot fully explain why my book sales have jumped in recent weeks... it could be due to a number of factors (recently received favorable reviews on Amazon, my recently posts on social media rec'd hundreds of views and dozens of likes/comments, AMS ads seem to be getting lots of clicks lately, etc.). But for whatever reason, my increased book sales of late do NOT appear to correlate to the number of website visits during the same period of time.

I'd be interested to hear from other authors who have noticed if website visits have a strongly correlation to your book sales, and why do you think that is.[/quote]

If the site is well done I would expect that more visits has to help sales.
On the other hand, no visits, no social media posts, no promotion would make selling harder.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:01 pm

[quote="mikeyboy_esq"]QUESTION: Do more book website visits equal more book sales?

I'd be interested to hear from other authors who have noticed if website visits have a strongly correlation to your book sales, and why do you think that is.[/quote]
I think it's important to remember the statistics maxim: correlation is not causation.

Saying that Web site visits went up and sales, too, went up, doesn't tell you which was more affected, nor even that it was or wasn't something else entirely. Like repeat visits. I know some people, for example, who try to "game the system" of Google search ranking by taking part in click "circles." Where everyone agrees to visit each others' sites to drive up traffic stats. Google's pretty good at catching them, though.

Still, is it ten visits by ten people, or five visits by two? It makes a difference.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Return to General Questions & Discussions