How's Your Writing Going?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

How's Your Writing Going?

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:42 am

For obvious reasons, there's not a lot of posting going on after the crazy posts from the weekend. Hopefully he will finally go away. :?

Anyway, what is everyone currently working on or in my case trying to work on? After taking a year and a half off from writing for personal reasons I've been trying to get back into pounding on my keyboard. I have a R&R that I really need to get to. I spoke to the agent at ThrillerFest and she understands. I know what I want to do to fix the story, but I'm just being lazy and not working on it. I'm really excited with the ideas I have to change this novel, so I really need to get cracking. I'll get to it sooner or later.

Is anyone currently querying?
Is anyone almost done a novel?
Is anyone staring at a blank page and wondering what to write?

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: How's Your Writing Going?

Postby ostarella » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:39 am

I, too, have put things aside for a while - too many remodeling/repair projects going on. :( But I am trying to decide which short story should be finished for the Glimmer Train contest due the end of October. It's been a couple years since I submitted anything to them and I'm thinking it's time to test myself again. Not sure I'll fare any better this time around, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. With winter coming :cry: my outside activities basically die, so then I'll be going back to the longer stuff.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:47 am

If I can motivate myself to finish my own page of the family history, I will be able to send it off to CreateSpace for a proof at the end of this month. That should give me enough time to order 45 copies and have them distributed by Christmas.

I don't know what I'll do after that. I have several projects on the back burner. Hmmm. Probably do an eenie, meenie, miny, mo. :D
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:15 am

One new work has grabbed my attention. I want to get a few chapters out.

Then I'll go back to a finished work. I'm not happy with the second half of it, so going to see what I can do to punch up the story. You'd think becoming a god was more exciting...
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:37 am

Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:49 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]For obvious reasons, there's not a lot of posting going on after the crazy posts from the weekend. Hopefully he will finally go away. :?

Anyway, what is everyone currently working on or in my case trying to work on? After taking a year and a half off from writing for personal reasons I've been trying to get back into pounding on my keyboard. I have a R&R that I really need to get to. I spoke to the agent at ThrillerFest and she understands. I know what I want to do to fix the story, but I'm just being lazy and not working on it. I'm really excited with the ideas I have to change this novel, so I really need to get cracking. I'll get to it sooner or later.

Is anyone currently querying?
Is anyone almost done a novel?
Is anyone staring at a blank page and wondering what to write?[/quote]

My writing goes slowly. Life keeps getting in the way.

Not querying currently.
Hoping to start a novel. I did write the great american novel in my sleep once. Could not remember a word of it the next day.
Nope. Plenty of things to write. Just need more time and fewer distractions.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:59 pm

I may have mentioned this already, but I am currently editing the first draft of my current novel. About halfway through the first editing pass. Editing for me is about the writing, not the story, which is fixed by the end of the first draft.

I'm excited about this novel, which is set in Vienna. I've workshopped the opening chapters with two best-selling authors, Steve Berry and Steven James. I really feel this is the novel I was meant to write, and that my previous ones were warmups or practice for this one.

I hope to pitch it next July at PitchFest.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:14 pm

[quote="wdarcy"]I may have mentioned this already, but I am currently editing the first draft of my current novel. About halfway through the first editing pass. Editing for me is about the writing, not the story, which is fixed by the end of the first draft.

I'm excited about this novel, which is set in Vienna. I've workshopped the opening chapters with two best-selling authors, Steve Berry and Steven James. I really feel this is the novel I was meant to write, and that my previous ones were warmups or practice for this one.

--Warren[/quote]

We will be cheering for you, Warren. You must let us know how you get on.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:37 pm

[quote="wdarcy"]I may have mentioned this already, but I am currently editing the first draft of my current novel. About halfway through the first editing pass. Editing for me is about the writing, not the story, which is fixed by the end of the first draft.

--Warren[/quote]

Break a pencil.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:36 pm

I am posting my short stories on a blog, for exercising the writing muscles and hopefully, develop a reader base. not going great so far. A few followers, so that's good. I finally finished my novel, in rough draft, a very good feeling, but still more to go for it to be finished. Good luck and happy writing, everyone on your projects!

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party