Hello to all!

Stop in and get to know your fellow writers.

Moderator: ostarella

VictoriaVlinder
Private E-1

Hello to all!

Postby VictoriaVlinder » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Well it looks like I'm going to be spending many sweet hours rummaging around these forums! Looks fantastic. I hope I'll be able to broaden my experience in writing. I've never sought out critique before, other than from my husband and very close friends.... oh how lovingly biased they can be :D But I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here :)

P.S - do I need to officially ask for posting privileges? Because if so, this is me asking. With a please and a cherry on top :D

plughmann
Sergeant

Re: Hello to all!

Postby plughmann » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:40 pm

[quote="VictoriaVlinder"]Well it looks like I'm going to be spending many sweet hours rummaging around these forums! Looks fantastic. I hope I'll be able to broaden my experience in writing. I've never sought out critique before, other than from my husband and very close friends.... oh how lovingly biased they can be :D But I'm looking forward to learning more from everyone here :)

P.S - do I need to officially ask for posting privileges? Because if so, this is me asking. With a please and a cherry on top :D[/quote]
=========

We hope so. The place is pretty dead. Many folks sign up and we never see them again.

pls will make you official as soon as he feels better.

The color on your name will change to blue so you can tell it happened.

VictoriaVlinder
Private E-1

Postby VictoriaVlinder » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:00 am

Hey, thanks for the welcome :) I tried to reply just after you replied but it said I wasn't allowed to post so frequently? Even though it had been just over half an hour since I posted this thread? Wasn't impressed, and I'm sure it would not impress others too.

Searching around this forum in general has been extremely confusing which is likely why many people register, take one look around and then don't return. I still have no idea where I can post a chapter of my story for critiquing. I just know there's many places that I can't post but as of yet I do not know why, except for my own assumption that I'm a new member. There's many threads with rules of this, that and the other, but nothing that just states plainly where things are or what areas are restricted to certain users. Or at least if there is, I've not found it, and I've been looking around a great deal. Most of what I've encountered as rules are mainly enormous word walls.

The forum needs to feel more inviting. I can understand spam accounts, threads and posts being a problem, I've been administrator and moderator several times myself on writing forums and I know what a nuisance they can be. In saying that, you can't let those pests ruin the forum experience for those who actually want to join and be a part of your community. This place really need sprucing. And I say that affectionately as I think this must've been a really great place in its heyday :)

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:38 am

There are many places to post here depending on the intent.

Block party works for most anything. There are special categories under the critique section to post writing for comments.

The software is buggy and WD does not seem interested in updating it to fix problems.

I agree, it would be nice if the regulars reached out and welcomed new folks more overtly.
This was a good place a couple decades ago. Still is , just not very active.

Somewhere there are allegedly some rules. I searched and they did not show up.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:44 pm

The "regulars" can't even be sure their login ID's will work from one day to the next. Mine just stopped working at random. And mine isn't the only one.

And while I agree that getting welcomed is nice, the regulars don't run this forum.

If we did, the forum wouldn't be as broken as it is.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

VictoriaVlinder
Private E-1

Postby VictoriaVlinder » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:35 pm

@plughmann - That's true what you say about intent, my intent is to get some advice concerning my writing. I have been writing all my life but the number of people I have actually shown my writing I could count with one hand. My husband and friends speak favourably of it, and while I appreciate their compliments I can never tell if they are just being supportive rather than being constructive. Even if I receive only bad opinions about what I write, I don't mind since it will help me evolve as a writer. I've just been looking around to find a place where I can do just that. Not only that, but I wouldn't mind helping other writers as well.

(I tried to post this a few times and it told me that I couldn't because I had not written enough characters?... Not even sure if writing this will help, but that is strange. Never experienced a forum that had such a high word count minimum)

(Second entry, as the above doesn't seem to be enough either?! Not sure what's going on, I guess it's a forum error? If it isn't then my interest in this broken forum is sadly going down fast. Where are the administrators?)

(Third edit, it was a problem with quoting, it seems! When I took the quote out and just put @plughmann, it worked.... forum weirdness....)

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:41 pm

Have to go to your profile and disable BBCode there (rather than doing it at the bottom of each post).

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Yes, if you disable the BBCode you won't get that stupid error message.

I hope you will give this forum another chance. Also, you might want to join Rob's new Writers Writing forum. A number of the regulars from this forum are members there and would be happy to help you.

--Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Return to Introductions